PDA

View Full Version : throating reamer question

wmitty
11-20-2018, 12:42 PM
There is currently a .30 cal throating reamer on flea-bay. In looking it over appears the end of the reamer is supported by the bore diameter surface and would be unsupported by a bore several thousandths larger (say a Marlin 336 microgroove). Am I understanding this correctly? I'd considered bidding as I have several .30-30s I'd like to lengthen the throats in, but I don't want to damage the throats with an undersized reamer.

DougGuy
11-20-2018, 01:04 PM
A solid nose reamer is made to fit all bores in that caliber, meaning it is severely undersized, might as well saw off the nose or use a chucking reamer. Just about useless if you hope to retain concentricity. You would be wise to invest in a removable pilot reamer, and an assortment of pilots in half thou increments throughout the range of your various bores. You want to use the snuggest fitting pilot you can get into the bore. This part is uber critical..

LynC2
11-20-2018, 02:30 PM
A solid nose reamer is made to fit all bores in that caliber, meaning it is severely undersized, might as well saw off the nose or use a chucking reamer. Just about useless if you hope to retain concentricity. You would be wise to invest in a removable pilot reamer, and an assortment of pilots in half thou increments throughout the range of your various bores. You want to use the snuggest fitting pilot you can get into the bore. This part is uber critical..

Excellent advice. If you can get it cheap enough, one could send it to Manson or PT&G to have a pilot fitted. Good luck with it. Might be better to rent one with the pilots you need.

kywoodwrkr
11-20-2018, 05:02 PM
wmitty,
You have a PM.
Thanks