PDA

View Full Version : FFL transfer, how long should you wait?

JSnover
11-20-2018, 11:39 AM
LGS told me it would take about a week before they would be able to let me sign for my rifle (from an out of state FFL). Tomorrow will be two weeks since they received it.
The shop I dealt with before sat on a gun for three weeks and when I came in to ask about it the owner looked at me like I tried to sleep with his daughter. How long does it normally take to log the gun and how long is an appropriate time for me to wait before inquiring?
I don't want to be That Guy but I've had anywhere from several hundred to several thousand dollars 'out there' and the longer it takes the more I worry about getting robbed or the item being misrepresented.

colt38sp
11-20-2018, 11:44 AM
I have never had to wait for the LGS to allow me to pick up my items. I have literally shown up 30 minutes after the item arrived and they proceeded with doing my background check and I was out the door.

lefty o
11-20-2018, 11:48 AM
you need a new gunshop.

bullet maker 57
11-20-2018, 11:53 AM
The FFl has 5 days from receipt to log the gun in. I never wait that long, usually the firearm is logged in as soon as I get it. I've done transfers less than a half hour after receiving the firearm. Not familiar with PA's laws. Is there a waiting period in PA? If there is, it should occur after the 4473 is called in. That would be my guess.

tradbear55
11-20-2018, 11:58 AM
I've purchased rifles from shops in PA, I'm from WV. Never had to wait any longer than it took to do the nics check and paper work. I would definitely inquire after waiting that long. Hope all works out for you.

JSnover
11-20-2018, 11:59 AM
you need a new gunshop.

That's what I.was afraid of. There's only two others near me and I hope they don't have the same attitude

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-20-2018, 12:05 PM
FYI, in Minnesota, if I have a Gun shipped (from out of state) to an FFL near me (I've used 3 different ones), there is no waiting beyond the normal NICS check, I am able to bring that gun home same day as they arrive.

Edit: is your gunshop also a Pawn shop? Are they running the numbers from the State of origin, to see if it's stolen?

JSnover
11-20-2018, 12:12 PM
Nope, not a pawn shop. I don't know exactly what the state requires them do before they release it, guess I'll have to look that up tonight. It would be nice if I could pick it up before Thanksgiving.

Rockwell
11-20-2018, 12:35 PM
Mine has never made we wait; I have shown up 15 minutes after it was delivered and I walked out 10 minutes later.

Walks
11-20-2018, 12:48 PM
Back, when I worked for Turners in SoCal, We logged every FFL Transfer before close of business the day it arrived. NEVER held a gun longer then the Cal/Fed waiting period required.

You are being jerked around.

Smoke4320
11-20-2018, 12:52 PM
Like bullet maker 57 said the FFl has 5 days from receipt to log the gun in.
I log mine in ASAP and usually calling the customer within the hr

dragon813gt
11-20-2018, 01:09 PM
That is one horrible FFL. I get a call when my FFL receives the package and opens it to find that it’s mine. I’ve even been there filling out the paperwork for one while another one arrived. He logged that one immediately and I was able to transfer that one as well for one fee. I really like having him around and it will suck if he ever decides to retire.

JSnover
11-20-2018, 01:14 PM
I guess I'll have to drop by there tonight and see what the hold up is. Left my phone number and email address with them, it's not as if they had no way to contact me.
Thanks.

RED BEAR
11-20-2018, 01:19 PM
i thought i had it bad waiting a few hours for background check to come in. thats not the ffl's fault its the state. my dealer logs it in before i can get to the store.

dragon813gt
11-20-2018, 01:47 PM
I’m assuming you used GunBroker’s FFL finder?
https://www.gunbroker.com/ffl/searchforffl.aspx

I was amazed at the prices some want for transfers in your area. Who’s going to pay $65 when others charge $25?

Beagle333
11-20-2018, 01:50 PM
Mine has never made we wait; I have shown up 15 minutes after it was delivered and I walked out 10 minutes later.

Same here.

Grmps
11-20-2018, 02:46 PM
You don't need a gun shop! just someone with an FFL

They call when it arrives and I head over and pick it right up (after the phone call and a little paperwork)

JSnover
11-20-2018, 02:47 PM

I was amazed at the prices some want for transfers in your area. Who’s going to pay $65 when others charge $25?

I've bought through GunBroker and S&S here but didn't use their service, just went down to my local shops and did the deal though them. They only charged $25 but neither one has gotten back to me within a reasonable time, which is ironic because I was a regular customer at both shops. Guess I'll have to be regular somewhere else...

dragon813gt
11-20-2018, 04:47 PM
I've bought through GunBroker and S&S here but didn't use their service, just went down to my local shops and did the deal though them. They only charged $25 but neither one has gotten back to me within a reasonable time, which is ironic because I was a regular customer at both shops. Guess I'll have to be regular somewhere else...

Ive found that actual shops don’t like performing transfers. A small kitchen table FFL is the way to go. You should be able to find one through the GunBroker link.

dk17hmr
11-20-2018, 05:29 PM
The FFL I use either calls, emails, or texts me the day it comes in or when a stamp is approved.... He's the nephew of a very close family friend and we live about 2 blocks from each other.

I agree having someone doing FFL transfer from home is the way to go.

KCSO
11-20-2018, 05:32 PM
As soon as it comes in the door I call the owner and he can pick it up in an hour. In the bigger shops in NE 24-48 hours max.

JSnover
11-20-2018, 05:47 PM
Ive found that actual shops don’t like performing transfers. A small kitchen table FFL is the way to go. You should be able to find one through the GunBroker link.

Thanks for the tip, I'd never heard that until now.

bob208
11-20-2018, 06:27 PM
I have never had to wait that long. in fact was a hour when the line was over loaded and that was for hand guns.

justashooter
11-20-2018, 06:58 PM

john lives in the blue section of PA. he needs to move out here to "Free America".

EDG
11-20-2018, 07:12 PM
Many sellers allow you a 3 day inspection period after receipt by thr FFL. Your moronic dealer is wasting your inspection period. If there are any problems with the new gun you are stuck.

BTW he is holding property that legally belongs to you. Make him do his job and hand it over and never go back.

dragon813gt
11-20-2018, 07:22 PM
john lives in the blue section of PA. he needs to move out here to "Free America".

While Bensalem may be more liberal the state has the same laws throughout. He’s west of the Delaware so he’s in “Free America”. Since that’s a little over an hour away I guess I don’t live in “Free America” even though I’m right on the border of South East PA and Alabama.

Shawlerbrook
11-20-2018, 07:38 PM
Sounds like your ffl dealer has some issues. Around here it’s getting more difficult to find small ffl dealers that don’t mind doing transfers and I fear more onerous Cuomo laws coming down the pike.

am44mag
11-20-2018, 09:05 PM
LGS told me it would take about a week before they would be able to let me sign for my rifle (from an out of state FFL). Tomorrow will be two weeks since they received it.
The shop I dealt with before sat on a gun for three weeks and when I came in to ask about it the owner looked at me like I tried to sleep with his daughter. How long does it normally take to log the gun and how long is an appropriate time for me to wait before inquiring?
I don't want to be That Guy but I've had anywhere from several hundred to several thousand dollars 'out there' and the longer it takes the more I worry about getting robbed or the item being misrepresented.

I have never been to a single shop that wouldn't let me pick up my gun pretty much as soon as it was delivered to them.

I would find a different FFL.

Mr_Sheesh
11-20-2018, 09:27 PM
I pick the occasional gun up from an FFL that's 30 miles away but fairly busy, despite that they call me about the same day a new item shows up, and only will hold it a week for me to get there. That's pretty acceptable really IMO. They only have so much space to store stuff. For any FFL place to take more than 2-3 days to log your gun in and call you, is, as others have said, ridiculous. And I imagine maddening too!

JSnover
11-20-2018, 09:38 PM

I can't wait to get anywhere west of here...

JSnover
11-20-2018, 09:44 PM
Many sellers allow you a 3 day inspection period after receipt by thr FFL. Your moronic dealer is wasting your inspection period. If there are any problems with the new gun you are stuck.

BTW he is holding property that legally belongs to you. Make him do his job and hand it over and never go back.

My thoughts exactly.
Ended up working late tonight but we plan to finish up early tomorrow. No point in supporting a business that doesn't support their customers.

Handloader109
11-20-2018, 11:17 PM
Can't get list on atf site to work, but gun broker has over 20 pages in PA. Get a cheap guy close as you can, not full service store. $50? Gee, robbery.

Atf gives me 5 days to log in and out. But that is irrelevant to your situation. That is just documentation into and out their log. If they don't do it day they receive the gun, they are both ignorant and incompetent. Hold for a week or two, bull. Jerking you around. Same day as they get it in should happen. Otherwise They could be responsible for any loss if gun is damaged. They held up YOUR inspection.

Plate plinker
11-21-2018, 07:24 AM
Ignorant ffl or maybe they are busy hunting with your gun?

JSnover
11-21-2018, 08:08 AM
Ignorant ffl or maybe they are busy hunting with your gun?

That or passing it around like a cheerleader after the big game...

jonp
11-22-2018, 06:38 AM
I've bought firearms from all over the country both privately through auction sites and from companies like Sportsmans Guide, CDNN etc. I've used 4 different FFL's in my area and all were same day from receipt.

If your FFL is sitting on the gun for more than a day or two you need to go elsewhere. 2 weeks is silly. Best is to find a private person working out of their house although they are getting harder to find. Guy I'm using now charges $20, emails the day it shows up and I usually go pick it up the next Fri or Sat. Always takes a couple of hours because we talk guns the whole time and he shows me his new toys.

BTW: If I were in your shoes and the time the firearm was held was unreasonable like the 2 weeks your talking about I might be inclined to call the ATF and ask a few questions and file a complaint. Might not do any good but then again, I doubt the FFL cares to get a call or visit from the local ATF Agent over this considering the 5 day period mentioned above. "Why are you holding firearms over the 5 day period proscribed by ATF rules" is most likely not a question that FFL want's to hear as it probably would be followed by an inspection of his books.

Can't get list on atf site to work, but gun broker has over 20 pages in PA. Get a cheap guy close as you can, not full service store. $50? Gee, robbery.

Auction Arms has a list that I use. Most every site that sells has one. I've never seen one that cost's more than $35 and I don't use them. I understand that they want you to buy from them and sometimes with shipping and the fee it makes sense but anything more than that and they are ripping you off.

Handloader109
11-22-2018, 08:44 AM
Jonp has best advice if you have further issues. Any BS out of them, and either threaten atf call or wait till you have gun in hand and just do it... depends on how ornery you want to be. And no one wants the atf to show up..

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

HATCH
11-22-2018, 09:27 AM
Locate another FFL dealer.
I have arrived ten mins after my pistol arrived at my dealer and walked out ten mins later.
I have a CWP so there is no background check so however long it takes me to fill out the 4473 is how long I am there.
Unless of course I BS with the deal cause I have known him for years.

Deadeye Bly
11-22-2018, 09:40 AM
The LGS I deal with calls me when the gun arrives and they want me to be there when they open the package in case there is a problem with the item. We both inspect the gun and it is logged in. I do the paperwork and walk out with it as soon as it clears the background check. You need to find another place to deal with.

jsizemore
11-22-2018, 10:02 AM
I was standing there talking to my FFL holder. Mailman shows up with my rifle. I open the box and the FFL puts the yellow form on the counter. I got all the bubble wrap off and inspect. Looks good so we do the transfer. I'm like others. When it shows up they send an email. The FFL says it's $20 more dollars then he had before. He'll gladly do the all day for that. I would too. $20 for 10 minutes work. It ain't doctor or lawyer pay but still pretty good.

Tackleberry41
11-22-2018, 10:16 AM
Need a new gun shop, last several guns I ordered, I often showed up when they were still in the box, took my gun home pretty quick.

Guess some shops just do not think they are making enough off transfers so put little effort into it.

GhostHawk
11-22-2018, 12:07 PM
I use a local guy, Fargo Arms. Average is 3-5 days from time I order and pay for gun until we are meeting to fill out paperwork, make the background check call and collect my gun.

All for 20$ a shot. And yes I have tipped him a couple of times when he went above and beyond for me.

Find a decent FFL. Your current one does not want to bother with you.

RU shooter
11-22-2018, 02:16 PM
This is how it's been for me numerous times , maybe things are done different in the east side of the state ???

JSnover
11-22-2018, 02:19 PM
I checked out the GB FFL locator, looks like there's plenty in my area.
Also emailed the shop to let them.know that I have the delivery confirmation and name of the person who signed for the package. If they "can't find it" I'll inform the police about the lost/stolen firearm.

Plate plinker
11-25-2018, 08:50 PM
That or passing it around like a cheerleader after the big game...

That made me smile.

Wheelguns 1961
11-25-2018, 09:09 PM
The ffl I deal with calls me when the gun comes in usually exactly when he said it would be there. I go down do the background check, and can leave as soon as it clears. He charges $25 for a gun broker gun or similar. The paperwork is free if I buy straight from him. This is in blue Delaware.

DCP
11-26-2018, 10:35 AM
:popcorn:

Hard to believe this is even a problem

WHY

shooterg
11-28-2018, 05:21 PM
Might even ask him "I read somewhere you guys have 5 days to log the gun, should I call the ATF and have 'em check your books ?"

JSnover
11-28-2018, 05:38 PM
If I had to guess I'd say they'd rather have me buy from them instead of just shipping to them. In my limited experience my 'buddies' at the shop suddenly forget who I am when I buy from someone else.

dragon813gt
11-28-2018, 05:51 PM
If I had to guess I'd say they'd rather have me buy from them instead of just shipping to them. In my limited experience my 'buddies' at the shop suddenly forget who I am when I buy from someone else.

This is stupid logic on both parts. Money is money. They can’t sell what they don’t own so collect the transfer fee and be happy. The second part is just stupid. You have to buy from multiple places because no place carries everything.

Your experience mirrors mine and is indicative of shops in SE PA. This is why I deal w/ a kitchen table FFL. He’s actually a gunsmith but he has no problem taking ten minutes of his time to collect $25. Gun shops are their own worse enemy. Their attitudes do nothing to foster an increase in gun owners.

Handloader109
11-28-2018, 06:15 PM
But did you end up getting it? It is stupid, but I've got at least one around here that really dosen't want you buying anything the way they act. And I haven't and won't

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DCP
11-28-2018, 06:16 PM

Wow, no update after all this time!

JSnover
11-28-2018, 06:35 PM
I've been on the road since Friday but they still haven't called. These guys ought to be ashamed of themselves, I actually had better luck in the People's Republic of Massachusetts, never had issues like this anywhere else.
Kitchen table FFL is definitely the way to go.

AK Caster
11-28-2018, 06:49 PM
What is the name of the shop and where are they located?

MyFlatline
11-28-2018, 07:09 PM
wow, just wow. I bought a gun last Thursday in Texas, picked it up at the FFL in Florida on Tuesday. I didn't even know it had shipped when they called... Oh, and $20 bucks for the transfer..

JSnover
11-28-2018, 09:40 PM
What is the name of the shop and where are they located?

Delaware Valley Sports Center, 101 Geiger Rd, Philadelphia

Idaho45guy
12-01-2018, 04:32 AM
I ordered a gun from a shop in Idaho on Wednesday and they told me it will be here Tuesday. Since I'm in Washington, they have to transfer it to a WA FFL. I asked how long that would take, and they told me I could come in, pick up the pistol from them on Tuesday, and drive it to the WA FFL myself if I wanted.

But, shops are a little more laid back out here. My local FFL (the only FFL in my county) is a full-time sheriff's deputy and runs a little shop out of his home. He charges $15 a transfer, but he's pretty busy, so I usually have to call him to confirm a gun has arrived.

Some of the most ignorant and obstinate people I've come across own gun shops, however.

rkrcpa
12-01-2018, 06:55 PM
I would have driven over there the day after it came in. They're (probably can't use the word) you around.

JBinMN
12-01-2018, 07:46 PM
Well???

I have made no comment up til now. Been waiting to see what ended up being the result of this situation.

You get the situation resolved?

JSnover
12-07-2018, 07:55 PM
Finally picked it up tonight, after they called the previous owner to ask why it was still in their shop (Huh???). Then when I got there they asked me three times if I'd gotten a call from them, apparently it's some sort of Cardinal Sin for a customer to take the initiative and we should not speak to them until they've spoken to us. Then it was "lost" in a back room somewhere and took them 20 minutes to "find" it.
The whole experience makes absolutely no sense, even a co-worker of mine from New Jersey says he's never had this happen. Anyway, it's done and I'm done with them.

jonp
12-07-2018, 08:05 PM
Just ordered a gun on Black Friday. It was shipped and the day after is showed received the FFL called me. I rolled down there and after talking guns for a bit, him trying to get me to buy an extra drill press he had and showing me a couple of new pistols he got in then talking to his wife about canning beets I was out of there.

With the treatment you got from that place I would definitely call the local ATF and file a complaint.

dragon813gt
12-07-2018, 09:35 PM
With the treatment you got from that place I would definitely call the local ATF and file a complaint.

I agree. Now that the gun is in your possession there can be no repercussions from them. Hopefully the ATF will straighten them out. In the mean time I’d post a review anywhere you can. I read them all the time on Google Maps and so do many others. It may prevent it from happening to someone else.

JSnover
12-08-2018, 01:39 PM
They'll receive as many honest reviews as I'm able to post but I'm a little leery of calling the ATF. This shop is popular with local cops and I'm not sure how they might react to having their favorite shop closed. I'm pretty sure they get better treatment than I did.

dragon813gt
12-08-2018, 01:49 PM
Personally I could not care less what the local cops would think. They’re not the ATF. And they’re not a different class of citizen than everyone else. If the shop conducted business properly there would be no reason to even call the ATF. But it’s your decision. I wouldn’t want anyone else to go through what you did.

snowwolfe
12-08-2018, 07:52 PM
I wouldnt worry about it since you finally received the gun. That shop will be out of business within 3 years and the owner will blame everyone for not supporting him and his employees.

jonp
12-08-2018, 09:20 PM
Believe me, the ATF doesn't care what the local cops think and neither should you. Wrong is wrong, don't take that treatment

Greg S
12-09-2018, 12:38 PM
It sounds as if that dealer has the red **** about you cutting into his margin unless it is a rarer item that he isn't able to secure from a distributor. My previous FFL was a home business. Get the call it arrived, drive over, knock, enter, grab a cocktail at the bar on the way to the kitchen table and start filling out paperwork.