PDA

View Full Version : Dillon RL550B

jem102
11-20-2018, 01:34 AM
I have a chance to buy a new in the box Dillon RL550B. The guy said he bought it around 2010 and never had it out of the box and realizes he never will. He is tired of dragging it around as apparently he moves to another apartment every few years. I have seen the box and I believe he is straight up on this.
Anyway he wants $420.00 for it. The December 2018 catalog shows the RL550C at $480.00 so not much of a savings new or not for one generation back.
I have never owned a Dillon so you folks that have them is this a go or should I pass? Any comments on what its really worth if you think his number is too high will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

bgw45
11-20-2018, 02:15 AM
As a result of the great warranty Dillon hold their value better than most. Regardless of age they often sell for 80% of new. IF all the original box contents are there it doesn't seem like a bad deal. The new C model provides easier lubrication but that's not a big deal to me.
My three Dillon presses have been flawless. The telephone support is super helpful when you have a question. I'd do it if all the original contents of the box are present.

Tatume
11-20-2018, 07:40 AM
Dillon no longer catalogs the RL 550B. The RL 550C is $480 with one caliber conversion kit, but no dies. Don't forget that Dillon will add shipping to that $480 ($25 to my house, your mileage may vary). Does the one you're considering have a caliber conversion kit that you need. They are $48 with a new machine, but vary in cost for add-on units. If the conversion kit you're getting is not the one you need, then you're saving about $16 plus shipping on an older model.

My three Dillon machines, two RL 450s and an XL 650 are wonderful, and I wouldn't consider another brand. However, they have been far from flawless. The XL 650 has issues handling primers. I've given up on loading rimmed cartridges on it. The RL 450 machines have been upgraded to RL 550 except they do not have interchangeable tool heads. They are not quite as fast as the XL 650, but are more reliable with rimmed cartridges.

All of these models are terrible about handling spent primers. My XL 650 now sports an aftermarket upgrade that works well. Get used to sweeping up spent primers until you find a cure for the Dillon catchment system.

Dan Cash
11-20-2018, 08:28 AM
I am not sure about the difference between 550B and 550C models but I run two 550B and have since about 1985. They are super, including their primer catching systems. As Tatume points out, if the offered press does not have a caliber conversion that you need, the price is a bit too high. Personally, unless the seller will come down to about $350, I would order a new press from Dillon. The 550 series is probably the best of the basic progressive presses, the easiest for the inexperienced progressive operator to learn to use and versatile in their application.

jmorris
11-20-2018, 09:28 AM
The C has a different frame and thread in pivots, it won’t do anything a B cannot.

oldhenry
11-20-2018, 04:07 PM
I have a 550B & am completely happy with it.

Graf & Son www.grafs.com is a Dillon dealer. Their price on the 550C without the conversion kit is $429.99, they have flat rate shipping of $7.95 & their conversion kit price is $49.99 for most cartridges & $59.99 for a few exotic cartridges.

Consider this in making your decision........especially if the cartridge conversion which is included with the $480.00 deal is not one you will use.

As far as 550B vs 550C: for me there isn't enough difference to matter.

Henry
.................................................. .................................................. ............
A real sport involves either gasoline or gunpowder........all others are just games.

dragon813gt
11-20-2018, 06:16 PM
The C has a different frame and thread in pivots, it won’t do anything a B cannot.

Yep, it’s simply an update and doesn’t offer any real advantage over the B frame. I have a 450 that I really like since there’s no play in the top of the press. I see no need to convert that press over. Most people did convert them so they can set up a tool head once and slide it in and out as needed.

At the end of the day the OP would be getting a brand new press for less than he can buy it anywhere else. The conversion kit obviously comes into play. But you can buy the parts individually. Depending on what parts it has and what parts it would need he may only have to buy one part, like a powder funnel, to convert it to another cartridge.

Here is a website that tells you what pieces you need versus what you have: http://thegunwiki.com/apps/calconversion/index.asp?machine_3=on&go=Choose+Machines

jem102
11-21-2018, 01:36 AM
Thanks everyone!
Yes the press is complete including the instruction manual and I think he said there is a video also. It is set up for .38 Spec. which I can use.
He said he could come down a little so would I be insulting him if I offered like $380.00? Its not so much the the size of the number as it is not going factory new when that would be a better deal. I didn't think about shipping either, this would be a local pickup on my way home.

The advice is much appreciated.

Tatume
11-21-2018, 08:47 AM
If he said he is willing to come down, he wants to sell the item and hopes you will make an offer. Make the offer if you want the press.

Petrol & Powder
11-21-2018, 09:28 AM
If he said he is willing to come down, he wants to sell the item and hopes you will make an offer. Make the offer if you want the press.
/\ This

Make an offer. The seller can: accept it, reject it or make a counter offer. There's no harm in making an offer.

And BTW, he wants to sell it. Make that process easier for him by standing there with cash in your hand [smilie=l:

Three44s
11-21-2018, 09:36 AM
If you offer 380 he will likely counter with 400 but should not be offended.

If he gets huffy with you do not take it personally is the way I see it. If he said “firm” he would have cause to be miffed but he said he was flexible. If he gets huffy after indicating some flex then I would politely thank him and move on.

He can continue to drag his ball and chain and you can move on to whatever you care to.

Three44s

Kevin Rohrer
11-21-2018, 04:35 PM
Offer him $350 for the "old" model and go up from there. Don't give him what he wants.

Is there anything that goes with it?

GARD72977
11-21-2018, 08:17 PM
I will add something to think about. The 550 is the best progressive press ever made. Its almost bullet proof! I own a 1050, 650, and 550. There are days I hate the 1050. Most of the time the 650 is a problem. The 550 is simple and fast enough. All the dillions work well but you are not compromising with the 550.

Just my 2cents worth

I don't care if you buy this or new you just need one

jem102
11-22-2018, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the comments gents.
I find he does have other items that he wants to sell as well and all new in the box. One is a Lyman power trimmer that he said he paid $260.00 for, does anyone know anything about them?

jem102
11-23-2018, 03:04 AM
Ok folks I am now the owner of a new RL550B, got it for $360.00.
I greatly appreciate the guidance from all of you. He had the little bag with the shell plate and powder funnel for .38 Spec. but the dies are Lee carbide. One set of .38 Spec. and one set .357 Mag. All new so I offered $40.00 for the pair. Lee is not my favorite brand but I have a few sets in pistol calibers and they work ok on my single stage press and at that price I can always sell them if needs be. Any concerns with using them on the 550?

Thanks again for the help on this.

Edward
11-23-2018, 05:32 AM
If its new or used they warranted anyone of there products even if you are not the original buyer . As far as price that is good but not great ,how are you at negotiations ? You need conversion kit for different calibers read the manual .

EddieZoom
11-23-2018, 07:24 AM
Ok folks I am now the owner of a new RL550B, got it for $360.00.

Nice score.

Check out the videos online from Dillon for cleaning and lubing the 550. It's probably fine, but it's been sitting for 8 years and working through the cleaning will teach you about how the press is put together. As others have said...simple, trouble free, plenty fast, bullet proof.

Lloyd Smale
11-23-2018, 09:15 AM
id offer 350 and if he says no walk away for a week and see if he changes his mind. One thing you have going for you is in the real world not many people (at least in my town) load enough to even consider a progressive or semi progressive press and he isn't going to have anyone beating his door down to buy it. He sure isn't getting what hes asking even on line for it and your offer would keep him from having to bother with shipping it.

Dan Cash
11-23-2018, 09:55 AM
The Lee dies will work with the Dillon press but for $30 more you could have gone with Dillon dies, which I think are $30 better. Their decap system is virtually fool proof and the seating die system has a 2 profile seating plug for RN and SWC bullet profiles. The seating stem can be removed for cleaning without having to reset the seating depth.

EddieZoom
11-23-2018, 10:32 AM
The Lee dies will work with the Dillon press but for $30 more you could have gone with Dillon dies, which I think are $30 better.

I agree.

dverna
11-23-2018, 12:25 PM
Sell the Lee dies and get the Dillon dies

jmort
11-23-2018, 12:52 PM
If you want better dies, go with Redding. My opinion. I would just use the Lee dies. They are fine.

jem102
11-23-2018, 12:56 PM
I started at 350 and he wanted more. When he opened the box and I saw that it had never been used I told him I would go 360 and he said ok. If I understand correctly the conversion is the correct shell plate, locator pins, funnel and die set which is all there. The Lee die sets are new carbide so I can sell them both and get a set of Dillon. While I am ordering the dies anything else you guys have discovered is a must have accessory from Dillon?

dragon813gt
11-23-2018, 01:03 PM
I would use the dies. You aren’t going to have any issues w/ them. I have over 20 Lee die sets and they all load accurate rounds. But if you want another brand go for it.

You won’t find any accessories from Dillon. You will have to go aftermarket for them. And you will get hundreds of opinions on which ones you “need”. Set it up, load a couple thousand and then decide if you to “improve” the press in any particular area.

Mr_Sheesh
11-23-2018, 02:26 PM
Lighting is nicely handy, especially if you want to check powder charges in each case visually.

Petrol & Powder
11-23-2018, 08:27 PM
$360 for a new in the box 550B - GOOD JOB !

Told you he wanted to sell it.

GARD72977
11-24-2018, 10:16 PM
Great price for the press. I don't like Lee dies but I have some and they work fine.

jem102
11-24-2018, 11:36 PM
Thanks again for everyone's guidance on this. I have always used single stage presses even when I shot High Power XTC. Mostly because I enjoyed handloading. But at this stage of my life I shoot mostly handgun and age and time available have made me more of a reloader so I have been thinking quite a bit over the last two years about getting a Dillon. When this came along it seemed right and I feel I got a good deal verses the $480.00 for a new one from the factory even though this is a generation older.
Much appreciated gents!

scotner
11-27-2018, 12:27 AM
You need conversion kit for different calibers read the manual .

Sometimes all you need is a set of locator pins and/or a powder funnel for a different caliber. For example, 380, 223 and 300 BLK all use the same shellplate. I keep one 550 with a #5 shellplate to load 9mm, 10mm, 40 S&W and 357 Sig. Four sizes of locator buttons cover most of the common calibers. Check out the caliber conversion chart in the owners manual to avoid buying unnecessary duplicate items.

LenH
11-27-2018, 10:10 AM
I use Lee dies for my .38 Special loads. I don't load or shoot that many so the Lee dies work fine for me.

I had dies for everything I load, the only thing extra I bought were extra seating dies for the crimp stage. Most of the other dies are RCBS.

David2011
11-27-2018, 01:09 PM
If you want better dies, go with Redding. My opinion. I would just use the Lee dies. They are fine.

As great as Redding dies are, and I have some, Dillon dies are the best available for loading cast boolits. The seating punch is removable for cleaning without removing the die from the press or tool head. Their spent primer ejection is not duplicated by any other manufacturer. They’re well worth the price.

oldhenry
11-27-2018, 02:12 PM
As great as Redding dies are, and I have some, Dillon dies are the best available for loading cast boolits. The seating punch is removable for cleaning without removing the die from the press or tool head. Their spent primer ejection is not duplicated by any other manufacturer. They’re well worth the price.

I agree 100%.
A few years back I made the mistake of buying a Redding die set for .38 spec/.357 to use on my 550. The seating die would remove the bell from the case before the boolit was seated. I sent it back for this reason & was told that it was in specs. It took a phone conversation to convince them that the bell must be maintained until the boolit was seated. They modified it (reluctantly) "per customer request". I eventually replaced it with a Dillon seating die (they're so easy to clean).

I have 4 Redding rifle die sets & they're great & have no problem with their rifle dies (except the 7X57 & that's another story).

Henry

alfloyd
12-01-2018, 10:52 PM
Get the spare parts kit for the 550 when you make an order from Dillon.
Sure Dillon will replace any part you break or lose, but you will need to wait for them to be mailed to you.
If you have the spare part, you can just replace the lost or broken part and keep loading.
Then call Dillon and get the replacement part coming.

I use the spare parts a lot and it is nice to have it already in hand to use.

Lafaun

bambambam
12-02-2018, 08:20 PM
Spend the money you saved on buying a used press and get the auto powder measure.

jem102
12-02-2018, 09:00 PM
Good advice all. I plan to buy Dillon dies for it as well as get the parts kit. I really appreciate the tip on checking what shell plates fit what calibers to prevent duplicates.

Drew P
12-03-2018, 12:59 PM
The thing I really like about the Dillon dies is the spring loaded primer punch. This gives them a tactile feel and prevents sucking stuck primers back up. That and the separate crimp.

waco
12-09-2018, 06:47 PM
I have had a Dillon 550 for almost 20 years. Never owned a Dillon die in my life. Lee, RCBS, Lyman is all I have used. Not knocking Dillon dies, just not necessary.

tstowater
12-12-2018, 05:27 PM
Sounds like you got a decent buy on the 550. Probably about what he paid for the press at the time he bought it. I would try the Lee dies and see how you get along. I have personally converted to Dillon dies for most handgun calibers for the reasons already stated. Also, once you use one of the Dillon die sets, it's easier to use all the same brand as the set up and feel is generally the same.