PDA

View Full Version : Unertl or Lyman

roysha
11-19-2018, 06:47 PM
With all things being equal in regard to condition, power, clarity, crosshair, and so forth, (both have 3/4" tubes and AO)
would you buy a Unertl 1 1/4" target for $395 or a Lyman Targetspot for $500 plus shipping? Why?

I am familiar with the Unertl target scopes and like them for certain applications. I have zero experience with the Lyman but assume them to be at least the equal to the 1 1/4" Unertl target. However, since the Lyman Targetspots seem to command a higher price, is there something about them that makes them superior?

I am scoping a REM M-37 and want to be period correct. The vast majority of the shooting will be relatively close range with a occasional excursion out to 100 yards. Either scope will give me the performance I want for the purposes I intend to use this rifle for.

Preacher Jim
11-19-2018, 07:05 PM
I have used both scopes. They both performed well I prefer the unertl although you will be hard pressed to tell the difference.

MT Chambers
11-19-2018, 07:18 PM
Are you sure about those prices? Unertls usually sell for more than the Lyman, Unertls usually sell for $600+.

samari46
11-21-2018, 01:24 AM
I cannot use the superspots that Lyman used to make. Eye relief is critical on those scopes and occasionally will contack my glasses. Unertl and Redfield have better eye relief at present only a old Redfield 3200 in 20x is the old fashioned scope I own. Frank

samari46
11-21-2018, 01:25 AM
I cannot use the superspots that Lyman used to make. Eye relief is critical on those scopes and occasionally will contack my glasses. Unertl and Redfield have better eye relief at present own a old Redfield 3200 in 20x is the old fashioned scope I own. Frank

lotech
11-21-2018, 10:13 AM
I've had both; several Unertls but only one Lyman. As I recall, Lyman quality was probably comparable to Unertl; don't remember an eye relief problem with the Lyman.

roysha
11-21-2018, 11:45 AM
Are you sure about those prices? Unertls usually sell for more than the Lyman, Unertls usually sell for $600+.

Indeed that is correct, but this is the smaller 3/4" tube model, so it does not command the price of it's big brothers, the 2" Ultra Varmint/Target or the Programmer 200.

Since there seems to be no real reason to pay the extra for the Lyman and given I am very familiar with Unertl, I opted for the Unertl. Have it in hand and hope to get it mounted after the holiday.