PDA

View Full Version : Beretta M9

Love Life
11-16-2018, 03:45 PM
There I was, larger than life, perusing the pawn shops. In one I fin a NIB M9 commercial model. I have wanted one of these for years, but just never happened upon one in person. Well, today was the day! $499 out the door and I am a happy man.

I have a strong love for the M9. It has been my service pistol for long enough, lol. It fits my hand very well and is very accurate. The one I got has the typical long and heavy DA pull, and squishy single action. D spring and 2 cases of 9mm NATO ammo are ordered. This is the best fitted M9 I’ve ever held. The slide the frame fit is better than my Colt 1911’s and my HI-Powers, lol.

I can’t wait to get this one out and blast away. I’m debating on whether or not I should get a crappy Plastic Blackhawk holster to complete the experience, lol.

cub45
11-16-2018, 05:53 PM
get a good leather holster the plastic ones will tear up your gun.

Texas by God
11-16-2018, 06:37 PM
Once I get a Beretta like that one, I will probably quit buying 9 millimeter pistols. I agree with the leather holster suggestion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

dragon813gt
11-16-2018, 06:42 PM
Meh, it’s not a CZ [emoji23]

jmort
11-16-2018, 07:06 PM
Since you have tested that gun six ways from Sunday, you know exactly what you got.
Good for you.
Are the holsters you were issued out of the question??? Due to standardization in attachment??? Or were they below average?

Love Life
11-16-2018, 07:13 PM
Since you have tested that gun six ways from Sunday, you know exactly what you got.
Good for you.
Are the holsters you were issued out of the question??? Due to standardization in attachment??? Or were they below average?

I’ve been issued the green cloth holster and the Blackhawk plastic holsters. My favorite is the green service holster due to it being a flap holster. Keeps all the crud off the gun. The Blackhawk holsters are generally durable, but they do eat finishes (don’t care if it happens to my issue pistol) and i’d like this one to look nicer for longer than 20 minutes of presentations, lol. Also the Blackhawk holsters are open top and allow **** to get on the gun. Overall, the Blackhawk holsters are serviceable, but not my cup of tea. I was just joking about getting one to complete the whole “experience “.

For a woods bumming holster I will be getting a standard green flap service holster. For carry probably a Mernickle high rise. Those holsters make big guns disappear.

9.3X62AL
11-16-2018, 07:17 PM
LL--

Your association with the M9-series is more extensive than my own, I'm sure. I have had a couple Beretta 92s and one Beretta 96, and all were great pistols. I have examples of most makes of mainstream service pistols on hand, but the Berettas seem to get away for some reason. I'm not sure why that is the case--they have run well for me.

They are a little large, as 9mm pistols go. The 96 was my last uniform/duty sidearm before retirement, a job it did very well. I ran about 3K rounds through it, and it never stuttered. Not once--factory ammo, jacketed reloads, or cast-bullet reloads. The 92s were never used at work, my shop's 9mm load was and is unimpressive. They shot very well, though--like the 96 they were not ammo-sensitive in the least, and could be very accurate with loads they liked. (Note--if the adulterated 147 grain JHP service loads have any saving grace, it is that said loads are quite accurate in good pistols).

I cultivate an appreciation for good sidearms--where the Beretta is unexcelled over all other makes is its intrinsic beauty--The Italians design and build beautiful things. I have owned Beretta Models 81, 84, 92, and 96 over the years. To my eyes they are elegant and graceful, almost too beautiful to carry for serious purposes in a gritty, dirty world. That might be why they seem to get away. Dunno.

Love Life
11-16-2018, 07:17 PM

My CZ is cooler than yours.

jmort
11-16-2018, 07:34 PM
Have you ever tried CrossBreed???
I like the OWB holsters
Regardless great deal on a great gun
My Croatians are really nice
Europe has a lot of nice looking ...

dragon813gt
11-16-2018, 07:37 PM
My CZ is cooler than yours.

Only half of it [emoji6]

That looks like a fine example of a M9. Sounds like you got exactly what you wanted.

knifemaker
11-16-2018, 07:52 PM
When my dept. went to the Beretta M-94 in 40 S&W caliber, they sent me to the Beretta armors school. There I learned a little trick from the instructor to decrease the heavy double action and single action trigger pull. Remove the Beretta hammer spring from the grip area and replace it with a Colt 1911 standard weight hammer spring. Do not use a reduced weight Colt spring, you want the standard weight spring that comes from the factory in a Colt 1911.
It reduced the double action pull from about 12 pounds to 8 pounds and the single action down to 6 pounds. I converted our SWAT team M-94's with the Colt spring and after many thousands of rounds fired in their guns, we had no misfires due to light firing pin strike. I also converted the guns for several of our female officers and male officers with small hands and no misfires after a year of use and their qualification scores increased due to a lighter trigger pull.
If I remember right the Beretta M-9 and M-94 use the same hammer spring and the conversation should work with the M-9.

tazman
11-16-2018, 08:33 PM
The one and only thing I disliked about the Beretta 92fs, m9 series of pistols was the safety. For me it was just backwards of what I am used to. I was constantly putting the gun on safe when I didn't want it that way, so it had to go. That was the only thing about it I disliked.
I now own the Taurus version of that pistol. The safety on that one works just like I expect it to so no problems. I can even carry it cocked and locked.
I made a concession to Beretta when I got my Taurus. I put a Beretta M9 barrel and locking block in it. That was a drop in replacement and made the gun so it would eat and shoot anything you fed it just like the Beretta does. It took the Taurus from a good gun to a great one.
Your Beretta is a fine gun and should serve you well for a long time.

rking22
11-16-2018, 08:50 PM
Tazman, thats the nice thing about the 96, slick slide. No safety/decoker lever at all!
I like the Beretta pistols, very elegant and yet still functional. I chose the 96 because I can't reach the lever on the slide, it is backwards to me, and DA only is preferable to me. I picked up a 9mm barrel and block, now it shoots 9mm or 40 in the same frame, and using the same magazines(against all internet knowledge, go figgure). And ,no I don't "trust it with my life" using 9mm. For that it wears the factory 40SW parts.

LUCKYDAWG13
11-16-2018, 09:07 PM

It's not a 1911 :-P just never felt the love for the 92fs I bought mine back in early 93 i think I put thousands of rounds through it
for Me it just dont work this is one of the guns I just cant shoot well maybe i got a bad barrel on mine but it will not jam and I
never had a FTF or any issue with it it just works just dont shoot well for me

Love Life
11-17-2018, 08:02 PM
After about 9,000,000 dry firings, the trigger is coming along. The D spring should be here by Tuesday. I’ll polish some things up and should be able to get the DA and SA pulls lightened up considerably while keeping 100% safety and function. This thing just talks to me, lol. Ammo should be here soon too. Bullets are on the way as well and i’ll Get some NATO equivalent loads made up using 124 gr FMJ bullets.

Life sho’ am good!!

LUCKYDAWG13
11-17-2018, 08:14 PM
this was on my list of things to pick up https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-g-lever-kit/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw21jjWZHZo

Budzilla 19
11-17-2018, 08:57 PM
I picked up a practically brand new 92F from a friend and boy, I love that pistol! Gobbles up anything ammo-wise, and I can hit fairly good with it. Just my .02

LUBEDUDE
11-18-2018, 11:54 AM
After a long session of shooting 45’s, I love to end it shooting my 92. What a joy. It’s like going from a day of 4 wheeling in a Jeep to riding home in a Cadillac!

I can shoot my other 9’s in the same situation, but the Beretta just feels so much softer shooting and sweet when compared to the others.

HATCH
11-18-2018, 12:13 PM
LL- guess you need to be on the lookout for a dozen or so military surplus mags for the M9.
I doubt they should be too hard to located down there where your at.

Love Life
11-18-2018, 12:21 PM
LL- guess you need to be on the lookout for a dozen or so military surplus mags for the M9.
I doubt they should be too hard to located down there where your at.

I’ve got a box full of them, lol.

FergusonTO35
11-18-2018, 10:09 PM
Nice pistola. What do you think of the Sig Sauer replacement? My BIL is career military. He says the 92 is a nice gun for the range but, in combat, the 320 is bound to do much better.

Combat Diver
11-19-2018, 12:56 AM
Got issued my first M9 back in 87' as it replaced our M1911A1s. Did lots of training and multiple combat deployments with that gun. Carried a suppressed version in 91' and 03' in Iraq possibly the same pistol as we only had 3 in the BN. No issues with the safety as I train to swipe it off on the draw and reengage it when bringing the pistol down. Did my longest handgunning with the M9 out to 300m repeatable on a KD range. Was working toward my Distinguished Pistol Badge with it when I retired. Another is on my list to buy whenever I get home next. Still have plenty of holsters, mags and a complete spare slide/barrel. Hopefully in about 10 yrs when the M17/M18s are fully fielded and M9s are in storage they get added to the NADA and become surplus to CMP :-P

CD

Love Life
11-22-2018, 07:09 PM
Shot it this week with Blazer 115 gr FMJ and Speer 147 gr FMJ. The gun shop didn’t have any 124 gr.

Pretty anti climatic to be honest, lol. It was reliable and accurate easily holding 3 inches off hand at 25 yards. I’m pretty sure if I benched it the groups would cut in half.

I have 2,000 jhp bullets on the way to reload and 2,000 rds of 124 gr 9mm NATO ammo to blast through. At my current rate of making it to the range, that should be a lifetime supply, lol.

Overall this is a well made, well fitted, full size service pistol. Accurate and reliable as well. The only thing I’m going to do is a trigger job. Right now it has a 12 pound DA. I’m sure I can lower that significantly.

Petrol & Powder
11-24-2018, 04:03 PM
I have a lot of rounds through various Beretta 92's - 92 SB, 92 F, Compact Type M.

They will feed and fire anything that sort of looks like a 9 x 19. ;-)

The best of the lot (for me) was the Italian made 92 SB, probably circa 1983-84 vintage. That gun would feed empty brass from the magazine during malfunction drills.
The coolest one of the lot was the Inox (stainless) Type M. That's was a Compact slide with frame that held a single stack 8 round mag. wished I would have held onto that one just for the Neat O' factor :p

In a lot of ways the Beretta 92 was the pinnacle of the old school/old world combat pistols. Forged aluminum , intricately and expertly machined frame. Forged steel open top slide. Lots of forged/machined small parts. Lots of little springs, pins and plungers. And it all works beautifully ! The basic design can trace its roots back to the model of 1951. Some aspects such as the open top slide go back even farther.

The evolution that resulted in the M9 is interesting. From the single stack, single action M1951 to an aluminum framed, double stack mag, DA/SA action with a firing pin safety and 1911 style mag release was quite the journey. The M9 is deserving of some respect and I think Beretta earned every bit of that respect.

Rubino1988
11-24-2018, 04:11 PM
Good deal!!!

Combat Diver
11-25-2018, 12:15 AM
Your forgetting that the M9/92 series is nothing but a Walther P38/P1 on steroids. Exact same DA/SA trigger, locking block, exposed slide (just lengthened). Mag catch, recoil spring/rods, safety and loaded chamber indicator just modified.

CD

rking22
11-25-2018, 01:07 PM
Always good idea to "rob the bank" rather than the lickerstore,,, design wise that is :p

jmort
11-25-2018, 01:46 PM
Never doubt Combat Diver

sundog
11-25-2018, 03:59 PM
Lately I've been shooting the RanchDog 130 (double dip lubed with BLL) over 4.0/Universal (from RD load notes) with good results in a 92FS. I've got some PC'd (Smoke's clear) on the bench ready to load. Probably shoot them next week.

I'll echo comments on ergonomics. I have large hands and the pistol fits well.

When the M9 was first issued we were getting ready for a deployment and we exchanged all our 38 S&W and Rugers. Everyone had to requalify and there was no 9mm ammo at the ASP yet. S4 went out on the economy and bought it. Everyone got trained up and qual'd.

Bn Supply Sgt came to me at the range and asked me what I thought we should do with all the brass since he could not turn it in. [Teeheehee, says me] Throw it all in the back of my truck, I will dispose of it...

Char-Gar
11-25-2018, 04:09 PM
Count me as a fan of the 92/96 pistols! They are good honest, accurate and rugged service pistols albeit a tad on the bulky side, which I like.

Love Life
11-30-2018, 09:27 PM
Trigger job is done. Double action is down to a smooth 6.5 lbs and the SA is 3.75 lbs. still has a good bit of take up in Single action, but it breaks crisp. All safety checks passed.

avogunner
12-01-2018, 07:54 AM
Love Life.....
I love mine too. Is there rec fire at the PI ranges?

Lloyd Smale
12-01-2018, 08:53 AM
great gun. I personaly think the military wasted a lot of money on research to replace it. could have bought a lot of good guns for the millions wasted.

High Desert Hunter
12-29-2018, 07:10 PM
Love mine, put a few Wilson Combat parts in it, not because it needed them, I just wanted them. After 2K rounds, it has never had a single malfunction. I carry mine in a Simply Rugged Cuda, and only use the safety as a decocker, as that is how the AF taught me to do every year.

Texas by God
12-30-2018, 12:42 AM
I'm out of a 9mm. Maybe this year I'll quit messing around and get that Beretta.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Golfswithwolves
01-01-2019, 11:05 PM
I have a Galco shoulder rig which I used on Iraq and Afghanistan deployments with satisfaction. I've got my personally purchased magazines also (the old issued one did not satisfy me as to reliability). Now all I need is an M9, which I always found to be a rugged, accurate, and reliable pistol.

Love Life
01-01-2019, 11:08 PM
Take the jump!! I’m happy as a pig in mud with my M9. Every time I pick it up, it’s like shaking hands with an old friend!

Now I just need to be able to go shoot more, lol.

TCLouis
01-02-2019, 03:53 PM
Nylon holster with flap.

Outpost75
01-03-2019, 12:33 AM
I am not a fan of the 9x19mm. A friend of mine who is retired DCMPD has had his SIG P320 back to the factory three times and it STILL stovepipes/smokestacks and misfires with 147-grain Olin OSM and Speer G2 he has. He has given up on SIG and is tired of the BS he gets from customer service as retired LE, does not believe them, because THEY LIE, and when the gun comes back he is selling and looking for an M9.

As for me, I stick with my 6-shot wheelguns because they don't leave empty brass scattered around, just sayin'

Love Life
01-03-2019, 07:04 AM
Picking up brass can be a hassle. It’s cheap enough that if I’m feeling lazy then I’ll just leave it. I prefer WCC military brass even though I have to swage primer pockets. 4 reloads and I trash it since I load most of my 9mm to +P levels.