PDA

View Full Version : Convert out-cannel gouge to in-cannel ?

Steven66
11-15-2018, 04:11 PM
Which I guess is just reversing the grind so that the bevel is on the inside. If anyone has done this, are there tricks or secrets? Figured I would carefully (not overheat) grind the edge square, then grind a new bevel on the inside. Test tool is the little gouge in my Millers Falls carving set. I think I can use the Dremel to grind the new bevel.

samari46
11-16-2018, 01:35 AM
I'm 72 now and the hands aren't as steady as they used to be. Got visited by arthuritus and I'd find some way to hold the dremel like in a vice where only the gouge is able to move. Treat the dremel like a bench mounted grinder. Those little moto tools can remove a lot of material in a heart beat if not careful. Try brownell's online catalog for what they call slip stones which if I remember are used for sharpening gouges. or get some tapered india stones. Used to grind then hone all my tool bits for my lathe. Used an ancient grinder at work that had about a 12" grinding wheel on it about 2" face. Used the sides to get the shapes I wanted then at home india or norton stones to hone the surfaces. Hope this helps. Frank

waksupi
11-16-2018, 01:17 PM
I've done it, prefer a round file to reform the bevel to avoid heat. Finish with slip stone or various grades of sandpaper on a dowel.