PDA

View Full Version : Got a good deal on percussion caps

vrh
11-15-2018, 10:48 AM
Around here the price of percussion caps are $8.00 per hundred. Found an online supply for $42.00 per thousand.
Ordered me a couple of thousand. Ordered those thru Powder Valley Inc.

nagantguy
11-15-2018, 10:59 AM
Love finding a deal especially on a high use item! I’m still ecstatic at finding the encore forend screws I needed at the local Mom and pop hardware store for 26 cents apiece!

bedbugbilly
11-15-2018, 11:33 AM
Oh how I long for the days when I was a kid and there was an old gunsmith in his 80s not too far away. A tin of 100 Remingtons ran 25 cents a tin - a pound of DuPont a whole 75 cents - I'm guessing the price increase from those days is called inflation? :-)

I have a stash of percussion caps but the last time I looked at a LGS - a 100 were priced at almost $9.00 / 100.

Good buy at $42.00 / K - don't blame you for snapping up a couple K - sort of gives you peace of mine that you won't run out anytime soon! Enjoy!

pietro
11-15-2018, 02:20 PM

I'm all set, right up to my Dirt Nap - When I stumbled across a gun shop a couple of years ago that was selling percussion #11 caps for $3.50/tin of 100, I bought 20 tins.

RU shooter
11-15-2018, 06:34 PM
Our walmart has them for 4bucks a tin for the cci brand . I've never bought a cap since I'm a flint guy but can I assume the tins are 100 count ?

RogerDat
11-15-2018, 06:47 PM
For me it was the mad search for musket caps back during the last time of slim pickings, then found them at a LGS for a decent price bought a few hundred. Hmmm there is an item it might be worth stocking up on. Don't know about a couple K worth but a few hundred wouldn't hurt anything and won't hurt the budget much. Forget how many Caps have for the revolver. Not enough I'm sure.

TheOutlawKid
11-15-2018, 06:55 PM
Remington #11s are $3.19 at one gun shop locally...so i stock up on them when i can. CCI #10 and #11 are $4.95. I only use remington tho but i also make my own percussion caps. I might make a small post on how ive come up with my own special way to make really hot and strong caps.

Buzzard II
11-15-2018, 07:35 PM
Our walmart has them for 4bucks a tin for the cci brand . I've never bought a cap since I'm a flint guy but can I assume the tins are 100 count ?

RU Shooter,
Yes, tins are 100 count. Which flints are you using and are you happy with them? I am slowly putting together a Thompson Center flint lock 50 cal. with a Green Mountain PB barrel and L&R lock, not sure about trigger yet. Thanks!
Bob

mazo kid
11-15-2018, 07:58 PM
I will be interested in your method of making caps. My long arms are primarily flinters, along with some pistols. I do have some percussion pistols, along with C&B revolvers and do have a (unused) percussion cap maker. I have also heard that the German toy cap rolls are best.

rancher1913
11-15-2018, 09:38 PM
care to clue us in on the "where" so we can maybe order some too.

Texas by God
11-15-2018, 10:01 PM
8 dollars per 100 here for Remingtons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

RU shooter
11-17-2018, 04:55 PM
RU Shooter,
Yes, tins are 100 count. Which flints are you using and are you happy with them? I am slowly putting together a Thompson Center flint lock 50 cal. with a Green Mountain PB barrel and L&R lock, not sure about trigger yet. Thanks!
Bob
Last place I bought them was a place online called Neolithics , decent price and they seem to spark and last as long as anything else I've used they have a variety of different flint/chert available

vrh
11-30-2018, 10:12 AM
Powder Valley Inc.

bob208
11-30-2018, 08:01 PM
I was at an auction. selling out a part time gun shop. I got all the caps they had about 6000. got about $5 a thousand in them.

TheOutlawKid
12-01-2018, 12:10 AM
Bob208 that is one lucky score. Wish i found a deal like that

jjarrell
12-04-2018, 09:21 PM
My local source gets me RWS 1075 plus caps for $80 per 1000 including the hazmat fee. Only percussion caps I use. Hottest caps made and waterproof. I let one sit in a glass of water for half an hour. Took it out, blew it off and it fired perfectly.

Tasbay
12-08-2018, 03:40 AM
Here CCI #11 caps are $20 a tin. found some recently at $15 a tin (100). A lot of the time when just plinking I use the plastic cap gun caps that come in packs of 72 for $1.50, They work just fine on a No:11 nipple. Made in either China or Taiwan. That's using home made BP.

bigted
12-08-2018, 08:09 AM
Remington #11s are $3.19 at one gun shop locally...so i stock up on them when i can. CCI #10 and #11 are $4.95. I only use remington tho but i also make my own percussion caps. I might make a small post on how ive come up with my own special way to make really hot and strong caps.

Yes please. That would be helpful to many.

Duckdog
12-08-2018, 09:39 AM
I just made some the other night, even though we can get the around here for about $6 a tin. I use a tap o cap and prime all . 22 Reloader sells a percussion cap maker and the prime all. The prime all makes for a nice hot cap. he has a video out there f him making some.

toot
12-08-2018, 10:26 AM
i too would like to have you share the method of how you make tour own percussion caps? also how do i find the video of .22 Reloader making them? thank's toot.

bob208
12-08-2018, 09:46 PM
search sharpshooters .22 reloaders they have all the fixings to make caps even a video of it being done. I am going to get one just so I don't have to be hostage to the commercial sellers. I have plenty of caps now but the day will come when I will need more.

n.h.schmidt
12-09-2018, 10:02 AM
I have used the prime all from 22reloader. It does work very well. As powerfull as anything you can buy. I had trouble with the prime being durable in the cups. It could crumble and fall out. This is easily fixed by spraying them with a few coats of hairspray. Works great,is cheap and easy. I also use two layers of the pop cans for the cups.
n.h.schmidt

TheOutlawKid
12-09-2018, 08:28 PM
I use brass .005 sheets from hobby lobby. Comes in a roll...much more durable than the aluminum. I tried the prime-all mix....i hated that stuff. It left a thick sticky orange yellow corrosive film...like immediately. I even made it by removing the dextrin from the recipe, and instead of using alcohol i got a small cheap non-aerosol travel hair spray for less than 2 bux...the kind with the pump mister. Instead of spraying the caps with hair spray and using dextrin..i screw off the mister cap and apply the hairspray using a dropper and put one drop in each percussion cap. It takes the place of using alcohol to wet the mix and also works as a binder instead of using the dextrin that comes with the prime-all mix. I dont use prime-all mix anymore ,My current method is corrosive but not as much and doesnt leave a visual film. Im going to be making a post with pics soon explaining my method if any are interested

Mr_Sheesh
12-09-2018, 11:05 PM
There is also that trick of Fly's, using tubing and small pistol primers: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?355019-Neat-trick-to-save-money

TheOutlawKid
12-10-2018, 08:11 AM
Ah yes flys trick using tubing and primers. Has anyone else on these forums noticed that once a topic comes up...fly has already done it and mastered it? Lol. Good guy..helped me a lot with my home made black powder and sold me a high quality puck die.

n.h.schmidt
12-11-2018, 12:55 PM
The red/orange coating from the prime/all and FA 42 formula isn't hard to remove. Normal cleaning and it's gone. No more corrosive that any other home priming I have tried. If you survived the Italian brass corrosive percussion caps that everyone sold in the 70s,you can deal with anything .In using the brass from Hobby lobby what does it cost per cup you make? I use two layers of aluminum can coming out to .008 thick. Stout enough for me and dirt cheap. I use a reloading press mounted die to make my cups. I once used some old bronze weather stripping to make cups. Very stout and looked cool but didn't work any better. Back then I was still punching out toy pistol caps with only marginal results.
I have tried the small pistol primer and tubing idea on a side lock muzzleloader. It just didn't work good enough. Better suited on a revolver maybe.
n.h.schmidt

TheOutlawKid
12-12-2018, 04:47 PM
The brass sheet is very strong. I prefer it. I get it for about 5 bucks cuz i use the 40% off coupon at hobby lobby. Its a roll about 10 feet long...a foot wide. Make a whole lot of caps. I even get the .005 roll of aluminum from them and its stronger than the same size aluminum that i get from amazon...not sure why that is vonsidering its all the same size. Its not that the yellowish residue is hard to clean, i just dont like how messy it is and i live in south texas where its extremely humid and makes for a stickier residue. I can actually feel the residue making my hammer stick etc...doesnt happen with my other corrosive primer recipes/methods. I think if u try the sheet brass i mentioned u will definately like it....its atrong and sure beats fumbling with cutting up cans etc. I also like all my homemade caps to have a uniform look which i cant get from cans unless i flip the aluminum over to the unprinted side which i dont like doing bcuz the thick printing usually rubs off onto the nipple and just makes them grittier than necessary.

n.h.schmidt
12-13-2018, 12:29 PM
I looked and can not find the brass roll. What cat no is it? We must be cooler and dryer here in eastern Iowa. Not much of a sticky problem here most of the time. What is your current cap formula based on? The reason the tubing and small pistol primer failed is the hammer face is cupped. The primer with tubing around it is too large and hits somewhere on the hammer cup. I would rather make the home made cups anyway.
n.h.schmidt

TheOutlawKid
12-13-2018, 03:08 PM
https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Metals-6010-Annealed-Length/dp/B0006N6WEE/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544727810&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=36+gauge+brass&dpPl=1&dpID=31sgRYWxhXL&ref=plSrch this is the brass sheet roll i get but i get it at hobby lobby and use the 40% discount online. Its 36 gauge/ .005 thick. Works great and the caps are reusable and its not too hard on the cap maker. The same brand makea aluminum in the same guage only in longer sheet rolls...5-10 feet...and it makes great caps too bcuz its a bit stiffer than other brands of the same dimentions. The aluminum rolla are way cheaper too..and with the online 40% coupon i end up paying like 3 bux for the aluminum. The brand is k&s

TheOutlawKid
12-13-2018, 03:12 PM
Ill go over my cap method when i can take pics. It will be easier to explain with pics or a vid as im horrible at explaining things..i always feel as if i cant get my point across without showing what im doing lol

arcticap
12-14-2018, 12:00 AM
I looked and can not find the brass roll. What cat no is it? We must be cooler and dryer here in eastern Iowa. Not much of a sticky problem here most of the time. What is your current cap formula based on? The reason the tubing and small pistol primer failed is the hammer face is cupped. The primer with tubing around it is too large and hits somewhere on the hammer cup. I would rather make the home made cups anyway.
n.h.schmidt

Perhaps if a very small, strong mini-magnet were placed inside the hammer cup, it would make contact with the small pistol primer before the cup "lips" hit the tubing.
They're made in several different mini-sizes and can be ground down if needed to fit inside the cup.

Or shave down the tube's outside diameter in a way to eliminate the interference.

What make of rifle did you try the tube & pistol primers with?
I'd like to hear more feedback from people who have tried this tube & pistol primer method with their rifle and whether it worked for them or not
since many rifles have different sizes of hammer cups and not all are well centered with the nipple.

n.h.schmidt
12-14-2018, 08:41 PM
I'm sure better results can be had with more attention to details. The only rifle used was a CVA Hawken style .Common as dirt. The hammer clears regular and home made cap cups. It isn't well centered though. As to a magnet being used in the hammer nose. It can't be a neo ,it will crumble the first shot. A small steel based magnet maybe would work. Or glue a proper sized steel insert into the nose. There is risk of the primer flying off in any direction though.
Kid Reuseable now that's interesting. Twice? more? I look forward to your video.
n.h.schmidt

TheOutlawKid
12-14-2018, 11:21 PM
I have used my caps multiple times...just refill them. Actually when they are new i use them on the stock pietta nipples bcuz they fit a little too tight on slixshot nipples. They fit stock nipples perfrctly tho. I actually use the stainless steel nipples from RMC ox yoke..theyre like 15 bucks a set and are of good quality and are easier to clean. They run small like stock pietta nippples but are stainless so they dont rust with corrosive homemade primers. Once i use the brass caps i refill the caps again yet theyve loosened up a bit and will also fit the larger slixshot nipples too. But the brass caps are able to be used quite a few times...sometimes i just have to run them through the cap maker again just to bend them back into a cup but thats as much reworking theyve needed. Im working on the pics and vid.

TheOutlawKid
12-14-2018, 11:31 PM
I should also mention that they are only reusable if u fill in the hammer face with something like jb weld cuz if not then the unfilled hammers notch with deform the cap. I also tune my guns by shaving down the hammer face a bit so that it barely kisses the nipple...like it barely touches it and puts pressure on it but its puts plent of pressure when the nipple is capped. Also helps to keep ur nipples in good shape..i dont like the hammer hitting down on the nipple with unnecessary excessive force that can deform or damage the nipple