PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Brass Smith All-American 8-Station Turret Press

hollywood63
11-14-2018, 08:29 PM
Thinking about another press and found this on sale at a few places. Anyone running one if so what are your thoughts?

Thanks

1bluehorse
11-14-2018, 09:02 PM
Thinking about another press and found this on sale at a few places. Anyone running one if so what are your thoughts?

Thanks

Have not seen one in person, but being somewhat interested in one myself I have looked at a lot of reviews and one video where the gentleman was comparing it to a T7 (he has both). According to him it is "comparable" which is high praise to me. The only bad reviews I've seen about the press is some have complained the priming system can be troublesome but not all reviews have indicated that so it may be a hit or miss situation. I wouldn't be interested in the tube priming anyway (although it comes with it) so that is a non issue for me. The price is certainly right IMO, 159.00 at Midway. Seems like a lot of press for the money to me. Now if I could just come up with a reason other than "that looks like a cool press" I'd be all over it.

CamoWhamo
11-15-2018, 05:13 AM
I have one and that is my video that 1bluehorse is talking about. Search for my channel on YouTube. CamoWhamo.

I would say for the price they are great value. The press itself is solid and smooth as as good as the Redding. The priming system is junk so just leave it off.
It works better with Lyman and RCBS Shellholders as others tend to spin around on the ram which is a PITA.

In a nutshell, they are 90% of the Redding at 60% of the cost.

flashhole
11-15-2018, 07:27 PM
CW or blue horse - did you do any runout measurements with ammo loaded on the different presses? I'm curious about the press too. I have two Redding Ultramags on my bench that I absolutely love and was thinking about exchanging one for a turret.

CamoWhamo
11-15-2018, 11:51 PM
CW or blue horse - did you do any runout measurements with ammo loaded on the different presses? I'm curious about the press too. I have two Redding Ultramags on my bench that I absolutely love and was thinking about exchanging one for a turret.

I haven't checked for runout because i load a lot of straight wall and lever action calibers or calibers where runout is not a concern.

I actually took the turret off my main bench and went back to a Rockchucker with the Hornady Lock'N'Load bushing installed. My reasons for this is that i'm loading for 12 different calibers and i was always switching and adjusting die sets in the turrets, even with 7 & 8 stations. So it's easier for me to have all 30 dies pre-set in the bushings and swap them in a few seconds as required.

I will probably switch to a forster Co-Ax at some point.

Catshooter
11-16-2018, 02:14 AM
Looks like maybe someone at Lyman woke up. Sweet.

Cat

1bluehorse
11-17-2018, 09:10 PM
I will probably switch to a forster Co-Ax at some point.

I have a CO AX and that's the very reason I DON'T have the Lyman Brass Smith turret on my bench. I can't see any advantage, other than a really nice press.

hp246
09-07-2019, 08:17 PM
It's been a while since the original post. Considering this press as there are some super sales on it right now and I'm looking for a press that will do some low volume stuff. I've seen some reviews that note some design flaws. Wondered what the CamoWhamo thinks about the press after having used it for some time.

"Spoon"
09-09-2019, 07:59 PM
I just bought one off M!dw@y on a killer clearance deal. I think $135. I'm looking forward to getting it on the bench. I really think it will be a step up from the Lee Classic Turret.

hp246
09-09-2019, 10:55 PM
I just bought one off M!dw@y on a killer clearance deal. I think $135. I'm looking forward to getting it on the bench. I really think it will be a step up from the Lee Classic Turret.

Yep. I saw the same deal.