PDA

View Full Version : I gotta call rcbs again.

Tom W.
11-13-2018, 08:40 PM
I bought an RCBS primer Pocket swager to get the crimp out of some 30-06 brass that I'm guessing was Greek.

The paperwork said to be careful or one could bend the rod.

They were right.

Kevinakaq
11-13-2018, 09:19 PM
I wouldn’t worry about it, they deal with ‘us’ all the time. I broke the pawl on my pro2000 press recently and had to call to get a new one from them. Soon as it arrived I went to install and twisted the shoulder bolt head off (was cast which was dissapointing). Imagine my embarrassment. I did make the call again to RCBS and got their typical no questions asked warranty part mailed promptly...

Tom W.
11-13-2018, 09:50 PM
I remember when the guy on the phone said that the new pistol dies had a new flaring stem that was almost like an " M" die. I had a bunch of older dies and he said that they must be worn out, which calibers did I need?
Can't beat their customer service.

tazman
11-14-2018, 01:00 AM
RCBS will undoubtedly send you a new one. I didn't go that route. I went online and found a company which makes replacement rods that are guaranteed not to bend or break. So far it has been perfect in that regard.
Unfortunately I can't tell you the name of the manufacturer. It has been too long ago. I got it on our favorite auction site. It wasn't particularly expensive and I still have the RCBS replacement on hand if it ever has a problem.

BK7saum
11-14-2018, 06:23 AM
Did you sort the brass by headstamp before removing crimps. Different thickness of the case heads causes the stem to buckle. If set up for one brand of case, then another case with thicker head will put too much stress/pressure on the stem.

Been there, done that. Also, is yours a 2nd gen crimp remover, they supposedly upgraded the stems to a better grade of steel that is less likely to bend.

Tom W.
11-14-2018, 01:04 PM
I dunno about the gen of the tool. All of the brass was fired in a M1 Garand at a range I went to and altho I can't remember just now it had an X on the headstamp.

beagle
11-14-2018, 02:06 PM
I solved that problem a long time ago. I found some bolts with the same thread as the die (1/4 X 28 TPI as I recall), cut the heads off to the approximate length as the original rod, turned them flat on the non-threaded end and kept on swaging. When one bends, I remove and toss it. Available at your local ACE Hardware./beagle

Hardcast416taylor
11-14-2018, 02:39 PM
I solved that problem a long time ago. I found some bolts with the same thread as the die (1/4 X 28 TPI as I recall), cut the heads off to the approximate length as the original rod, turned them flat on the non-threaded end and kept on swaging. When one bends, I remove and toss it. Available at your local ACE Hardware./beagle

I learned this same trick many years ago when I was using lots of Mil. surp cases of different arsenals. The inside case case head height can vary from lot to lot even from the same arsenal. I would buy the bolts purposely too long then cut the bolt head and the threads off, Unbrako brand bolts served me best.Robert

Alan in Vermont
11-14-2018, 03:34 PM
. Unbrako brand bolts served me best.Robert

Are those the ones made of Unobtanium? :kidding:

Taterhead
11-14-2018, 04:18 PM
The primer pocket swager combo "2" has better steel in the backup rods. I have a few thousand rifle and handgun cases through mine without bending. I adjust mine so that i can feel it flex just a little at most. Has worked ok for me. As has been stated earlier, RCBS wil take care of you.

beagle
11-15-2018, 12:54 AM
No, think these are made from cantobtanium. Had one of our mechanical engineers call that out on his stuff all the time and I had to go out and buy it. Drove me nuts./beagle

Are those the ones made of Unobtanium? :kidding:

Walks
11-15-2018, 01:07 AM
You guys do know RCBS is closed due to evacuations from the fire ?

Taterhead
11-15-2018, 01:53 AM
You guys do know RCBS is closed due to evacuations from the fire ?

Curious about when did that happen? I sent an electronic question about die dimensions today and received a prompt reply.

bullet maker 57
11-15-2018, 08:03 AM
Same here, sent an email and received a prompt reply.

sharps4590
11-15-2018, 09:23 AM
I've always heard that about RCBS. Over a week ago I e-mailed them....no response yet. Sooo....Monday I called....no response yet. The piece of my priming tool didn't fail, it just wore out after 30 years and probably 100K rounds primed. Guess I'll try calling again today.

EDG
11-17-2018, 06:19 PM
RCBS operation are shut down right now due to fires in the area.