PDA

View Full Version : can you meet the challenge?

jsizemore
10-01-2008, 11:48 PM
I went to Agri-Supply in Garner, NC to buy my smelting setup. I was looking at dutch ovens and turned the corner at the end of the aisle and I saw the biggest cast iron pot I've ever seen. It is 27" tall and 42" across and holds 90 gallons. WOW! Since I only had 200 lbs of WW I got a 12 quart dutch oven and a 170,000 btu cooker for about $45. If you go to their website, look under cooking and then wash pots. Can anybody on this website meet the challenge of filling that bad boy. They also had cast iron corn muffin griddles in the shape of ears of corn you could use for ingots. Enjoy the dream of filling that pot.

docone31
10-01-2008, 11:54 PM
I imagine that pot can be filled, but, how would it be supported.
I imagine the BTUs needed to get and keep the lead liquid.
How many lbs would that weigh full?

Reloader06
10-01-2008, 11:56 PM
I think just lifting it EMPTY would be enough of a challenge for me:-D

copdills
10-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Now thats a BIG POT

JDFuchs
10-02-2008, 12:12 AM
well, the largest pile of WW ive ever worked with was one 5gal bucket, it had about 150-200lb's in there. 5x18=90 so thats 2700-3600lb's :!:

Jon K
10-02-2008, 12:49 AM
With the BTU's needed to work that puppy, there better not be any neighbors ithin 5 miles, cause those burners will be Roarin'!!!!!

Jon

Swamprat1052
10-02-2008, 02:36 AM
Thats a wash pot. Havent seen one in years. Thats what the women used to wash clothes in in the old days. They sat out in the yard and on wash day they'd build a fire under them and wash thier clothes. They got the water real hot and used a paddle to stir them with. I never saw one used but just about everyone had one when I was growing up. They'd plant flowers in em. Dang I am telling my age now aint I.

Swamprat

compass will
10-02-2008, 07:56 AM
http://www.agrisupply.com/wash-pot-90-gallon-capacity/p/56693/cn/5400012/
http://www.agrisupply.com/images/175/56693.jpg

DLCTEX
10-02-2008, 08:21 AM
We had one like it that was used for heating water for wash day, had a propane , no, butane burner under it. It was also used for rendering lard. It was broken when the wash house burned. Dale

Boerrancher
10-02-2008, 10:06 AM
I need to get one of those for the Wife. Her Washing machine died yesterday. I don't see the need for spending over a thousand dollars on another large capacity industrial washer, when I can buy that wash pot for half of that. She can build a fire under it out side and do the laundry for the 7 of us. Just think of the money I will save to buy a new gun with.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Navahojoe
10-02-2008, 11:00 AM
When I was a young boy, on wash day, I carried water in a bucket from the well to fill one of those pots. I also saw Mother and the neighbors, at hog killing time, use that pot and others like it to render lard in and another one to make soap in. The last one I saw in use, had flowers planted in it.
regards,
NavahoJoe

leadeye
10-02-2008, 11:03 AM
I need to get one of those for the Wife. Her Washing machine died yesterday. I don't see the need for spending over a thousand dollars on another large capacity industrial washer, when I can buy that wash pot for half of that. She can build a fire under it out side and do the laundry for the 7 of us. Just think of the money I will save to buy a new gun with.

Joe

I don't think that idea would go over very well at my house. I just bought a new washer and dryer and my wife sees those as tools more than presents. She never has any problem with my buying tools, just got one of those DeWalt 18V impact wrenches, but I have never been able to convince her that guns are tools. That pot does look handy for cooking or boiling.

PatMarlin
10-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Thats a wash pot. Havent seen one in years. Thats what the women used to wash clothes in in the old days. They sat out in the yard and on wash day they'd build a fire under them and wash thier clothes. They got the water real hot and used a paddle to stir them with. I never saw one used but just about everyone had one when I was growing up. They'd plant flowers in em. Dang I am telling my age now aint I.

Swamprat

Maybe women can take that up if they get tired of the Mall? ..:mrgreen:

Swamprat1052
10-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Dang I forgot about rendering lard and making soap. Thats sure the truth. I think every family had a couple of them. Man I hated hog killing!!!! Having flashbacks now,

Swamprat

Navahojoe
10-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Man, we are waaay off subject, and I appoligize for hijacking the thread.

The only thing that I liked about hog killing was the eating. Homemade sausage, country cured hams, ribs,shoulders, bacon, streak-o-lean, yum,yum.
I will hush now, going to get something to eat.:mrgreen:
regards,
NavahoJoe

jameslovesjammie
10-02-2008, 05:29 PM
She can build a fire under it out side and do the laundry for the 7 of us. Just think of the money I will save to buy a new gun with.

Joe

You might save money on the washer...but divorces are SOOOOO expensive!

kenjuudo
10-02-2008, 05:37 PM
You might save money on the washer...but divorces are SOOOOO expensive!

They are expensive 'cause they are worth it:-D:-D:-D

jim

DLCTEX
10-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Joe, unless you like doing your own laundry by the method you propose I would never broach the subject. Speaking from 42 years of marital experience. DALE

BD
10-02-2008, 08:12 PM
When I look at that pot I remember Scrapple! Just another healthy breakfast for six months after hog butchering.
BD

PatMarlin
10-02-2008, 08:24 PM
They are expensive 'cause they are worth it:-D:-D:-D

jim

:mrgreen:

jsizemore
10-02-2008, 09:38 PM
If you read the description in the ad for the wash pot, shipping is included in the price. That's got to be a strong selling point over a front loader. Think the wife will buy it. Yes I mean the pot and the arguement.

StrawHat
10-03-2008, 02:56 PM
When I look at that pot I remember Scrapple! Just another healthy breakfast for six months after hog butchering.
BD

It is getting cool enough for scrapple now. Sometimes we had goetta which was made with oatmeal instead of cornmeal.

Now I'm hungry!