PDA

View Full Version : National Peanut Festival

Tom W.
11-12-2018, 02:05 AM
I've lived in Alabama for over 45 years and never went to the Peanut Festival in Dothan. I couldn't tell you how many years it has been going on, and surprisingly Lori hasn't been there either. Today was the last day for this year, they were going to disassemble the rides tonight and pack up. There were no C/ W artists, no livestock, just rides and vendors, and if you weren't going to ride anything there was no admission fee. Lori and I gassed up her car and off we went. It's a pretty fair piece from here to Dothan, maybe 100 miles or so, but we went anyway. I saw some rides that I know I'd never get on, even if I was thirty years younger. We wandered around, were agast at the prices the vendors wanted for their food, but Lori did want a slice of pizza. I thought it was absolutely terrible. Then we decided that we had seen enough and walked the I dunno how far back to the car. We looked at each other and decided that we were satisfied, both of us could now say that we've been there, and probably will never go again.

On the upside, December 1&2 there will be a big gun show in the same place! I probably won't go, as I stay pretty broke.......

abunaitoo
11-12-2018, 03:42 AM
It's always fun to go to a gun show.
Even a bad gun show is better than nothing.

Wheelguns 1961
11-12-2018, 04:19 AM
Did you get any hot roasted peanuts, or, do you like those boiled peanuts?

Thin Man
11-12-2018, 08:46 AM
Broke here too, but a 100 mile one-way ride isn't that far. Several years ago a local TV station was showcasing what they called "One Tank Trips" for a round trip to and from their base broadcasting station. It was really nice to see all of the different attractions they described and we made a few of those. Gas costs more now than it did back then but I would love it if they would bring back that series. With both of us retired now that would help add variety to every week's routine, plus getting me a break from all of the honey-do's.

owejia
11-12-2018, 09:25 AM
Boiled peanuts are nasty. Used to get my cattle vet supplies from Jeffers at Dothan.

Handloader109
11-12-2018, 10:47 AM
Boiled peanuts are nasty. Used to get my cattle vet supplies from Jeffers at Dothan.Dude, go get you some roasted then.... boiled right they are great...[emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Echo
11-12-2018, 12:05 PM
Dude, go get you some roasted then.... boiled right they are great...[emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Several decades ago I was stationed @ Orlando AFB, and living on the economy, as a 2-striper and no base housing. Went to the train station for some reason, and there was an old black man selling peanuts in the shell, and claiming they were salted. I asked How could they be salted, they're in the shell? He answered "Days bawled". Ahhh - say again? "Days bawled"... Finally - gotcha...

Chad5005
11-12-2018, 02:56 PM
aint nothing wrong with a good boiled peanut lol Tom when is the next gun show up by you,id like to go to that Dothan show but ill have family in then

Down South
11-12-2018, 05:50 PM
Boiled peanuts are nasty. Used to get my cattle vet supplies from Jeffers at Dothan.
That's nuts, pun intended. Some folks like em, some folks don't. As for me and mine, we like em. I usually boil my own from green peanuts.

Tom W.
11-12-2018, 09:20 PM
Bob's on 431 just outside of Dothan is where I used to get boiled peanuts. They'd never make it back to Eufaula......

mold maker
11-13-2018, 07:07 PM
I'm one of those folks that don't like boiled peanuts. I could starve to death while passing them out for free.