PDA

View Full Version : bought a 1967 Colt Python. was it as good of a deal as I think?

anothernewb
11-11-2018, 11:55 PM
Like all good things, this one comes with some to to. Here's the backstory..
So I go to a gun shop in Fargo, to look at a new carry piece. While I'm browsing. this lady comes in to sell a revolver. I'm really only half paying attention to the conversation. But the short of it is that it's apiece she got from her father, but theres some bad blood there so she wants to sell it She knows zero, nada, about guns. and I hear the guy mention python. So now I'm paying attention. From a side glance - it looks to be in great shape. He goes on a spiel about well, it's old, and maybe not much market for it, everyone wants auto pistols now. So he makes a show of looking in a book and comes up with a price of $400. of course she asks if that's a lot, (since all of the other guns in the store are tagged at full retail) and he says, well, the other guy that works here might take an interest and he could maybe take it off your hands for a few bucks more, and to come back in a bit when hes' back. (I know little about colts, but know they usually carry a lot higher price tag than this guys talking.) So the lady leaves the store. and the moment the door closes the guy starts to actually laugh about it to a co worker. For some reason this just sent me nuts. no idea why, none of my business. However, I was insulted on the lady's behalf. So I left to catch her in the parking lot, where she's still getting to her car. I walk up to her and tell her that they lowballed her by a long shot. It's worth waaay more than that. and that I'd offer double what they had, right here, right now. Told her it was still a low offer, but that was all I had on me in cash. Well, she accepted without hesitation.

The bad part, was that I walked into the store, right up to the clerk, with the python. and said, if he hadn't been such a jack wagon (well, I used a different set of wording to be sure) and not tried to screw someone so blatantly bad, he would have made 2 sales that day, as I was going in to try a few carry guns and likely buy one (they have a range on site, and many firearms to rent/try) but as it was. I not only bought the python, I was also going to shop somewhere else.

Sooo... now if you're still with me. Here's what I got for $800. Thoughts. Hoping I didn't get all sanctimonious for nothing.

anothernewb
11-11-2018, 11:57 PM

anothernewb
11-12-2018, 12:01 AM
The only wear marks I can find is one small one by the muzzle on the right side of the gun, a light turn line. and an odd surface scratch not through the bluing on the right side right in front of the cylinder.

I'm hoping it's not been refinished and that the grips are original. The serial number comes back to 1967, and while she did not have the original box or papers. she does have the original bill of sale to her father from 1973 from the US army provost marshall. Fort Carson, Co. Which I thought was kinda cool.

Mr_Sheesh
11-12-2018, 12:03 AM
I'm no expert on Pythons but that one looks nice; Bore on it good?

anothernewb
11-12-2018, 12:13 AM
I also know very little about pythons. But I love wheel guns. Bore looks very sharp. Looks like there might be some residue from lead along one or two of the grooves, but nothing that looked odd to me, chambers line up nicely, and locks up tight. Didn't check for headshake or anything else really, probably just too excited. Also didn't have a borescope either. just kind of eyeballed it in the daylight.

CLAYPOOL
11-12-2018, 12:21 AM
You DONE good on both counts, PRICE and NOT cheating her either.

Texas by God
11-12-2018, 12:36 AM
You are my hero for today. Well done.

scattershot
11-12-2018, 12:46 AM
Looks like it would be worth about twice what you paid for it. Congrats!

farmbif
11-12-2018, 01:06 AM
your a good man who did a good thing, and you won out in the end, bravo, i hate liars and cheats

lefty o
11-12-2018, 01:09 AM
3x what you paid for it all day long.

samari46
11-12-2018, 02:12 AM
I think you done very well. $800 for a nice python and helped the little lady from being taken advantage of. From your pics seems to be in nice shape and for sure won't be going down in price like some other factory revolvers. Those jerks in the gun shop were definitely trying to seriously low ball the lady. I was standing in a well known gun store one day and a guy comes in with an ar 15 he wanted to sell. $150 was what they offered. And wouldn't budge on that number. he walked out the door and was still in the parking lot. I told him that price as BS and he could do better as it was a pre ban and the assault weapons ban had not closed as yet. And no I didn't buy it from him as I already had a pre ban Colt HBAR. Frank

bouncer50
11-12-2018, 02:13 AM
I sold a 4 inch one blue steel like new for 2,110.00 dollars. You got a hell of a deal. Colt not making them any more. Gun stores like to rip people off low balling them. I was in a gun store this guy had a colt single action in 38 special caliber which is a rare gun. They offer him 200.00 and he took it.

Love Life
11-12-2018, 09:51 AM
Nice revolver and nice thing you did.

Wayne Dobbs
11-12-2018, 10:03 AM
4" Blue Pythons are usually 1800 - 2500 depending on market, whether there's a box/papers, etc. You did very well on this.

dragon813gt
11-12-2018, 10:11 AM
Considering they go for around $2k I think you did all right.

Char-Gar
11-12-2018, 12:17 PM
I understand that people who sell stuff for a living, must buy it for less than they can sell it, to cover overhead and to make a profit. But that is not an excuse to be a cheat and a thief. Good for you!

Jackpine
11-12-2018, 12:39 PM
I just love stories where the bad guys lose and the good folks live happily ever after!

9.3X62AL
11-12-2018, 01:38 PM
There are some very fine ironies threaded through the O/P's story. Kinda made my day, it did.

JoeJames
11-12-2018, 01:44 PM
4" Blue Pythons are usually 1800 - 2500 depending on market, whether there's a box/papers, etc. You did very well on this.My experience around here also. Done good.

dragon813gt
11-12-2018, 01:52 PM
I understand that people who sell stuff for a living, must buy it for less than they can sell it, to cover overhead and to make a profit. But that is not an excuse to be a cheat and a thief. Good for you!

You said it more eloquently then me. If you’re in the gun business you should know current trends. Not exact details for items you don’t sell often. But the snake gun market has been inflated for a long time. So much that there’s been articles in magazines about them. That dealer was straight up trying to rip the lady off. I know she accepted $800 but that’s a very lowball offer as well. But the OP told her this so if both parties agreed it is what it is.

Soundguy
11-12-2018, 01:53 PM
agreed, you did good. On a brisk day, them grips can fetch as high as 500$ on auction sites. seen it...

I'd have made the same deal you did.. IE.. running out and offering her cash for it.

GOPHER SLAYER
11-12-2018, 03:13 PM
My brother has one that is still in the box and it looks just like the one you bought. I bought the Python and a Diamond back, also in the box from a co worker for $500. It was 1976 and he needed a new set of tires for his dune buggy.

JoeJames
11-12-2018, 03:30 PM
My brother has one that is still in the box and it looks just like the one you bought. I bought the Python and a Diamond back, also in the box from a co worker for $500. It was 1976 and he needed a new set of tires for his dune buggy.Back in the 70's the going rate was $300 for a Python, used. Then all of a sudden the snake guns went up like a rocket!

charlie b
11-12-2018, 06:30 PM
Back in the 70's a new Python was less than $400. I think $375 or so.

(and a Ferrari Dino was $11,000)

dragon813gt
11-12-2018, 06:37 PM
Back in the 70's a new Python was less than $400. I think $375 or so.

(and a Ferrari Dino was $11,000)

The Dino would have been the better investment. A lot better investment.

Tatume
11-12-2018, 06:52 PM
Good for you!

osteodoc08
11-12-2018, 07:22 PM
Doesn’t matter what you paid for it so long as you’re happy with the purchase and the old lady was happy with the sale. It looks like a nice specimen.

Texas by God
11-12-2018, 09:05 PM
A friend of mine saw an elderly woman walking towards the Pawn shop as he was walking out. She was holding a pistol so he asked jokingly if she was robbing the place, she asked "do you want to buy this 38? They probably won't give me enough if you want it I'll sell it to you". He asked how much, she said 200?
He replied quickly that he'd take it but needed to find an ATM. She said she'd wait. He came back and told her it was worth a lot more but all he had was $500.
She said we agreed on $200. He said let me buy your dinner for you and your family. They argued; she took $300. Hugged each other.
2nd Generation nickel plated 4-3/4" SAA 38-40 with hard rubber grips.
He let me shoot it once!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

reddog81
11-12-2018, 10:26 PM
Even if it was refinished that's one heck of a deal and it wasn't look refinished from what I can tell of those photos. You could easily double what you paid. If someone offered me that gun for $1600 I'd be interested.

Lloyd Smale
11-13-2018, 08:38 AM
im not a big python fan. Ive owned a couple and never saw what the fuss is all about. that said I wouldn't pay twice what you did but at 800 bucks I would have bought it just for future trade material.

contender1
11-13-2018, 11:39 AM
I agree with all the above posts.
The gunshop,, while in business to make money,, should NOT be so greedy as to extremely low-ball a person like that. They had to know that gun could do a QUICK turn around sale in the $1500-$2000 range. To offer less than 1/4th of it's value is not morally right. I know pawn shops usually offer less than 1/2 or so,, but on a hot ticket item,, will go as much as 70%,, knowing they can make a quick sale & a fair profit. That shop would lose my business, as well as me spreading it around how they were willing to take advantage of an older lady like that.
The fact you were able to get to the lady,,, and be honest with her on it being worth more,, AND allowing how you only had $800 but were willing to pay that,, shows you were honest.
I felt, as I read the post,, that if you'd had more in your pocket,, you would have paid more.

So,, you did quite well on what you paid,, and can do so with a clear conscience. Congratulations on a great find,, and being honest. As often said; "Honesty pays!"

bedbugbilly
11-13-2018, 11:42 AM
I had a 4" blued like yours - a couple of years newer but in pristine shape - just the revolver, no box, papers, etc. I had always heard about the "Python experience" and when I consigned a bunch of long guns a few years ago, the dealer had it come in - I spotted it and he did me a favor and let me have it for $800 - the same price he paid for it. Personally, I never care for it as I'd rather shoot my old Smith M & P - but I fully understand why there are those that like them.

Long story shorter - I decided that since it wasn't my cup of tea and it was sitting doing nothing, I'd consign it through another LGS that I have used for years. This was about two years ago. I took it in, had them look at it and said to tell me what they'd put it up for. I was shocked when they came back with $2,200.00. But - I wen along with them thinking it would be there a long time - nope! It sold in two days. A guy came in who collects them and has plenty of $$. All it take is one buyer. I made a good return my investment so I was happy - the LGS got their commission and the buyer was happy - so it was good all the way around. I have no regrets and am glad someone got it who hopefully is enjoying it. Colt won't ever make 'em again - at least in the quality that they were so kudos to those that like 'em, take care of 'em and shoot 'em!

Groo
11-13-2018, 03:46 PM
Groo here
As much as I like saving money,,,,,,,,, you stood up for the lady ,,,,, WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9.3X62AL
11-13-2018, 04:11 PM
I like V-spring Colt D/A revolvers, and my safe's contents bear that out. I think highly of the Colt Python, though I have never owned one or thirsted for one. My most recent chance to land one came about 3 years ago at a local pawn shop, a blued 6" with some firing and holster wear for $1100. I passed, and I don't regret doing so. $1100 would have enabled two used S&W 686s or Ruger GP-100s, and while neither has a Python's elegance both are more durable and practical firearms for everyday usage. (Bias alert--I consider the S&W 586/686 revolver series the most perfect 357 Magnum revolver ever produced in this country)

dragon813gt
11-13-2018, 05:45 PM
(Bias alert--I consider the S&W 586/686 revolver series the most perfect 357 Magnum revolver ever produced in this country)

You and I have the same bias. That series are built like tanks and just run and run and run w/ no issues.

bluelund79
11-13-2018, 08:21 PM
You did very well, did right by that lady. I even agree with taking one away from the store based upon their actions. Congrats is well in order!

Texas by God
11-13-2018, 08:32 PM
I shot my brother's Python and his S&W 27 in the 70's before he let them go. Both made me look good but I liked the m27 best. SFIL had a .38special 8" Python Target. He declined to let me shoot it and I don't know where it went.

Lloyd Smale
11-14-2018, 07:29 AM
yup. twice the gun at 1/2 the cost. Ill add the K frames to that. A 19 is just as strong as a python, most ive shot are more accurate and reliable and actually easier to shoot DA. Lots of money for a fancy bluing job.
You and I have the same bias. That series are built like tanks and just run and run and run w/ no issues.

Love Life
11-14-2018, 10:08 AM
I much prefer the S&W model 27 and 28 over the Python. Actually, I prefer it over all others.

mart
11-14-2018, 11:43 AM
It's crazy what Colt's snake series go for today. A friend who owned a gun shop back in the 90's had one of the Anacondas in 44 Magnum that came from the factory with the camo finish, camo scope and a Colt bag. He almost couldn't give it away. He offered it to me for $400 but we were poor as church mice back then. I wish I had scrounged up the money somewhere and bought it.

9.3X62AL
11-14-2018, 03:08 PM
It's crazy what Colt's snake series go for today. A friend who owned a gun shop back in the 90's had one of the Anacondas in 44 Magnum that came from the factory with the camo finish, camo scope and a Colt bag. He almost couldn't give it away. He offered it to me for $400 but we were poor as church mice back then. I wish I had scrounged up the money somewhere and bought it.

The Colt Anacondas and their late-series Troopers are real sleepers. Simple rugged actions, VERY accurate, and darn near indestructible. I had an Anaconda x 6" for about 18 months spanning a couple deer seasons, and never put sights on fur those years. No fault of the sideiron! :-) That is one revolver I should have kept, but elected to move it after I acquired a blued Redhawk x 5.5". For much of my life it has been very hard to justify owning more than one arm in a given caliber unless they had a work-related application (and thereby enabled a tax write-off).

Tatume
11-14-2018, 04:56 PM
Personally, I prefer to have multiple arms, all in the same caliber. I enjoy shooting different guns, but prefer to keep my loading as simple as I can. To each his own.

hermans
11-15-2018, 06:22 AM
Good on you for getting it at a fair price. Pythons are great, and they shoot straight!

smkummer
11-15-2018, 09:36 PM
Good for you. I have more colts than I’ll ever need so I would buy all day at $1600 and know it’s a easy flip at a gun show.

flint45
11-16-2018, 01:30 PM
That was a great deal!

Patrick L
11-21-2018, 10:18 AM
I applaud you for doing that. And, you were very honest in telling her that your offer was still less than she could get. I think people appreciate being treated with decency, and it speaks highly of her as well that she rewarded your honesty with accepting your offer. It looks like everyone wins, with the exception of the loser gun store commando, which is as it should be.

Well done sir!

charlie b
11-21-2018, 12:14 PM
Pythons were the best OUT OF THE BOX pistols made back when the Colt Custom shop was building them.

But...take a Colt Trooper and have a gunsmith hand fit and hone everything and it will shoot just as well.

Add to that the Python mechanism is 'delicate'. After a lot of fast DA firing it will need some tuning to tighten back up. I have mine done every couple thousand rounds.

And, just ask Miculik about the differences in speed between them. He chose S&W because he was faster with them. Add a good hand tuning/fitting and you can see how his shoot.

These days, if I were serious about shooting targets, I'd get a Smith and have it 'fixed'.

But...you just can't beat the looks of the early Pythons. The combination of the underlug and rib with the Colt blue just made one of the more beautiful pistols made out of a factory. That is kind of a oxymoron since the 'good' ones were custom builds, just custom done by Colt.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Soundguy
11-21-2018, 12:25 PM
For those of us nowhere near a good pistolsmith, a colt python out of the box, as a custom shop gun was a fine shooter, and looker, especially the royal blue.

jonp
11-22-2018, 07:00 AM
:drinks: Good for you. That gun is worth well over $1,000. I hate to see people get taken advantage of and I'd have called that, um, store clerk out right there in front of God And Country. Usually I'm of the Caveat Emptor mindset but taking obvious advantage of someone that has no idea what is going on is unethical and makes my blood boil.

I've got no use for a Python being a SW and Ruger fan (SW for target, Ruger for everything else) but I would have offered $750 and like you told her it was worth more than that. I most likely would have played with it for a bit and then re-sold it using the profit to buy a few Rugers or a SW Model 25. She probably didn't want the hassle and just wanted to sell it for a good price and be done with it.

winelover
11-23-2018, 08:18 AM
Six inch Royal Blue Python was my first handgun purchase. IIRC, bought new for @ $370 back in the mid 70's. Still own it but rarely shoot it, anymore. Too many other toys and use bigger calibers for hunting. Shot it a lot back then, mostly J-words with maximum charges of Blue Dot. Always in double action mode. Never went out of tune. V-shape main spring had to be replaced due to fatigue.........was getting a lot of FTF. Since it was my first, I'll never part with it. Never a Smith fan..........only ones I own are J-frames, for their concealability. Terrible triggers, IMO. Even have one from the custom shop and it's only marginally better. Much prefer the ugly LCR over the J frames...........better trigger as well as sights.

Winelover

sw282
11-25-2018, 06:22 AM
Had a similar experience a few years at LGS. Guy comes in wanting to sell a SW Model 14. Shop owner would not meet the price and walks out. l pursued guy and told him l would meet his price.. l asked to see his drivers license. We made a receipt and l paid the man... Said he picked up the gun at a yard sale earlier in the day. Upon closer exam the gun is a rare Dash 0ne Model 14... Double Diamond grips are super RARE because they don't have the football cutouts for speed loaders.. Since the LGS is the only one in town l always ask if l might approach a seller after the gunshop owner has refused a deal.. l have been fortunate to get several guns this way over the years.. l have also picked up some jewelry like that too. Wife kinda likes those deals:-)

anothernewb
11-26-2018, 11:01 AM
Well, after a lot of deliberation, I did take it to the range. it's a heck of a shooter. I doubt I'll sell it anytime soon. It's one of my more accurate wheel guns. It will probably live out the remainder of my life on a diet of a few hundred rounds of 158 grain lead and 4 grains of 231 a year - and go to one of the kids or grandkids once I am no longer able to hold it.

JoeJames
11-26-2018, 11:13 AM
Well, after a lot of deliberation, I did take it to the range. it's a heck of a shooter. I doubt I'll sell it anytime soon. It's one of my more accurate wheel guns. It will probably live out the remainder of my life on a diet of a few hundred rounds of 158 grain lead and 4 grains of 231 a year - and go to one of the kids or grandkids once I am no longer able to hold it.Just a suggestion; try it with some good factory wad-cutters. I shot the best group I ever shot with factory wad-cutters and a 6" Python off a rest at 25 yards. That was 25 years ago and I still remember it: mickey mouse shaped - head with ears, all holes touching. I traded it off because at that time the East Arkansas Peace Officers Association required 4" or less at their matches. Still regret trading it.

charlie b
11-26-2018, 11:10 PM
Mine also shoots well with a lot of rounds. If looking for best accuracy it likes 125gn jacketed at max loads best. 158gn at max load is right behind it.

Clark
11-30-2018, 12:40 PM

Gold, guitars, and guns appreciate at ~ 3% compounded annually [background inflation] .

The big exceptions are Mossberg 16 gauge bolt action shotguns appreciate at ~ 1% and Colt snake revolvers appreciate at ~6%.

This 1978 Colt Python cost me $1413 out the door [with sales tax] 3 years ago.

1.06^3years = 1+19% -> it would cost 1.19 x $1413 = $1683 out the door today.

Lance Boyle
11-30-2018, 06:17 PM
A friend of mine saw an elderly woman walking towards the Pawn shop as he was walking out. She was holding a pistol so he asked jokingly if she was robbing the place, she asked "do you want to buy this 38? They probably won't give me enough if you want it I'll sell it to you". He asked how much, she said 200?
He replied quickly that he'd take it but needed to find an ATM. She said she'd wait. He came back and told her it was worth a lot more but all he had was $500.
She said we agreed on $200. He said let me buy your dinner for you and your family. They argued; she took $300. Hugged each other.
2nd Generation nickel plated 4-3/4" SAA 38-40 with hard rubber grips.
He let me shoot it once!

Nice.

I bought my 4” royal blue in a similar fashion. A older fellow was a retired town cop and worked part time in our maintenance group. Really good egg. He said to stop by he wanted to talk to me. He had decided to get rid of his handguns as his kids weren’t interested. He wanted $300 for the python with light holster wear. I had $400 bucks on me and had to push the extra on him. At the time the gun was going for 800-1000. I told him that and that I would give him more than the 400 on me. He said he didn’t care, just wanted me to have it as I appreciated nice guns. As great a guy as he is we didn’t hug. We did have a few beers though.

charlie b
12-01-2018, 10:29 PM

Gold, guitars, and guns appreciate at ~ 3% compounded annually [background inflation] .

The big exceptions are Mossberg 16 gauge bolt action shotguns appreciate at ~ 1% and Colt snake revolvers appreciate at ~6%.

This 1978 Colt Python cost me $1413 out the door [with sales tax] 3 years ago.

1.06^3years = 1+19% -> it would cost 1.19 x $1413 = $1683 out the door today.

Except that Python prices rise and fall like the stock market. Several years ago a local gun shop sold a Python for $3000 (kinda like the one that started this thread). Now they are back down to the $2000 (or a bit under) mark.

Clark
12-03-2018, 03:29 PM

I bought a 1963 Shooter's Bible when I was 12 years old. It showed a Colt Python at $125.
If I plot that as 6% appreciation at 55 years later, I get a good fit.
That is a monthly appreciation in the chart. Yearly would be $3,081.29

The stock market was flat from 1967 to 1982. As a child I needed a social security number to own stocks. The grown ups did it for me. But buying Shooter's Bible was all on my own.

winelover
12-04-2018, 08:03 AM
I doubt you could make a living or retire comfortably, on investments, made on any guns............I bought my Python based on looks and reputation. Been living up to my expectations, ever since.

Winelover

Soundguy
12-04-2018, 01:14 PM
If you owned some H&H guns and got them right, originally, you sure could.

Heck.. When turks were 29$ each and 25$ each per palate I wish I would have had the finances to buy a tractor trailer load. Turks are selling for 10x that or more now.

Remember the 5fer mosins? nearly same deal.

If someone had 25 though back then to buy them up.. They did better than the stock market.
Remember when Japanese rifles were 5$? you could see them in barrels in hardware stores.
Farther back, 45-70's were cheap too.

Budzilla 19
12-04-2018, 02:21 PM
You did a good thing!! I would have done it also, and as for that lgs, hope you done with them. Here’s my Python story;30+ years ago, I was cleaning guns for a local pawn shop, you know, wipe ‘em down once a week, stuff like that. After 6 months of this, the owner asked me if I would like to buy a colt python he had in the display case?? Sure, if I can afford it!! He says, “ I can’t sell it because it’s not a magnum gun”
Huh?? Ok, now I’m interested!! I had just sold an o/u skeet gun, so I’m flush, ya know! So, for the whole sum of $325, cash, I now owned a practically brand new Python .38 spcl target gun!! It’s still in my safe! ( where it’s going to remain) .

Clark
12-06-2018, 04:27 PM
17 years ago I got Turkish Mausers aT $55 out the door at BIG, now worth as much as $250 = 9% compounded annually
17 years ago I got AMZN stock at $10/share, now worth $1681 = 35% compounded annually

I cut and welded the bolt handles on the turks. The Turks are taking up a lot of gun safe space.
AMZN stock required no welding, and stores on my on line brokerage accounts.

Soundguy
12-06-2018, 07:01 PM
The amzn stock was a gamble and at one point very nearly became a write down vs an investment. The firearms on the other hand were virtually guaranteed to go up.

Had you got on the Turks 25 us ago, your return would be nearly tripple.

During the end times, or a market crash, monetary change, etc, paper money might only be good for lighting fires, and electronic money could be a fond memory.

Those turks on the other hand would immediately become nearly priceless for someone needing a firearm.... Everything is a gamble.

charlie b
12-06-2018, 11:06 PM
Collectibles, guns, cars, etc are all a gamble and rarely keep up with inflation.

You can make some good deals if you 'buy low, sell high'. Many of these are due to the overall economy and gun laws or the perception of changes in gun laws.

I made $300 in one year when I got a MAK90 cheap and sold for much more a year later. Now days they are worth less than I paid for it originally. ARs are the same kind of deal.

Soundguy
12-06-2018, 11:55 PM
If your gun investments aren't keeping up with inflation, quit buying hipoints. You are simply buying the wrong guns.

charlie b
12-07-2018, 11:44 PM
You mean like the Python? :) They just don't.

Rodfac
12-08-2018, 10:01 AM
yup. twice the gun at 1/2 the cost. Ill add the K frames to that. A 19 is just as strong as a python, most ive shot are more accurate and reliable and actually easier to shoot DA. Lots of money for a fancy bluing job. Pretty much my thoughts as well...there's no comparison, especially in DA mode, between an ordinary S&W and any Colt revolver. But then, the Python appeals to collectors...and I'm a shooter, first and foremost. The only safe queen I own is a 1931 M1903A1, National Match, and even that wonderful piece of history went back to Perry with me in '06 for the '03 CMP match...(scored 92 the day prior on the 600 yd practice zero range!, but fumbled my reload in sitting rapid in the match a day later for a silver medal overall.)

All that said...kudos to the OP who did the right thing. I bet he'll remember doing a good deed longer than the pleasure of owning Colt's famous revolver. Rod

Soundguy
12-08-2018, 01:20 PM
You mean like the Python? :) They just don't.

If I was going to use a python as an example, I would have, but didn't.

On the other hand. My anaconda I bought new 20 ys ago for less than 400, is now worth many times that.

400$ in EE savings bonds purchased at the same time just barely doubled as a comparison.

Soundguy
12-08-2018, 01:26 PM
Pretty much my thoughts as well...there's no comparison, especially in DA mode, between an ordinary S&W and any Colt revolver. But then, the Python appeals to collectors...and I'm a shooter, first and foremost. The only safe queen I own is a 1931 M1903A1, National Match, and even that wonderful piece of history went back to Perry with me in '06 for the '03 CMP match...(scored 92 the day prior on the 600 yd practice zero range!, but fumbled my reload in sitting rapid in the match a day later for a silver medal overall.)

All that said...kudos to the OP who did the right thing. I bet he'll remember doing a good deed longer than the pleasure of owning Colt's famous revolver. Rod

Pythons are not solely relegated to collection only.

It's not too hard to find former LEO models.

At least a few HP departments used these as issued duty guns.

That gets you a gun that may have some honest holster wear, but usually not very much use on the action.

That's the best of both worlds. Good custom shop built gun, but with the wear, you aren't killing the collector value of an unspun safe queen with zero turn line and mint 500$ original grips.

Clark
12-10-2018, 08:40 PM
If you are going to collect something, Pythons take up less room than cars or tractors.