PDA

View Full Version : BP Compresssing tool

GregLaROCHE
11-10-2018, 09:50 PM
Would a .41 inch punch be wide enough to compress BP in a .45-70 case?

country gent
11-10-2018, 10:23 PM
With a heavy wad like the 060 thick harder materials it should be okay, with thinner lighter wads it may allow the edges to fold up around it. .410 is roughly 050 small or .025 on a side.7/16 or .440 would be better. The head on a 3/8 allen head cap screw might be very close to what you want a little work with it clamped in a drill and file could take it to just what you want. Another to check would be a 1/4" flat heads head dia.

GregLaROCHE
11-10-2018, 10:41 PM
I just saw a Lyman M die in .41 cal for ten bucks and wondered if I could use it to compress BP using a press. I guess I’ll pass on it. Thanks for your input.

GregLaROCHE
11-10-2018, 10:47 PM
Just thinking. If I went with a cap screw or a flat head, I could chuck it in my drill press and adjust it for the same depth each time. That should work shouldn’t it?

country gent
11-10-2018, 11:39 PM
You might be able to lock a washer between 2 nuts for a stop on the case mouth if the nut will fit inside the case mouth. Depending on the compression it may be hard on a drill press rack and pinion/spindle. Off the top of my head a 1/4" nut is 7/16" across the flats so it might just go. If the nuts are big enough 2 nuts jammed in location would do it. compress to the nut just touches and your there.

Chill Wills
11-10-2018, 11:52 PM
$20 gets you one, a good one at that, that you can install in a die body you have now.
Here is a link....

https://www.buffaloarms.com/reloading-supplies-accessories/powder-compression-plugs/45-cal-rifle-compression-plug-for-lyman-rcbs-expander-die-body-van45rcp

indian joe
11-11-2018, 04:54 AM
Just thinking. If I went with a cap screw or a flat head, I could chuck it in my drill press and adjust it for the same depth each time. That should work shouldn’t it?

This is one of those deals if you gonna do it - do it right! I dont reckon a drill press would be accurate enough and the compression stem needs to be fairly neat in the case and straight every stroke - If you really need to save some bucks can buy bolts with the thread to fit your RCBS die body (I believe they 9/16th NF) but then you need a lathe to turn the shank. I would make one myself - I have the lathe and if I scratch around in my workshop for a bit the bolt will be there someplace - but to save twenty bucks ??? ................................not really

rfd
11-11-2018, 10:42 AM
indian joe is correct - do it right. just get the proper BACO plug and stick in a lyman "M" die body and be done with it.

Huvius
11-11-2018, 11:46 AM
I have now cut a good fitting tool of my own but when I started out, I just bought a 7/8" 14tpi bolt to thread into my press and used a .38 Special case with a black line on it to compress the powder.
Worked fine and cost a grand total of $2.50

GregLaROCHE
11-11-2018, 12:35 PM
Will Buffalo Arm’s compression die fit into any other than a Lyman M die. I’m using a tablet and all of Buffalo Arm’s pages get cut off at the right so I can’t read everything.

I called them about the pages being cut and apparently nothing can be done about it.

rfd
11-11-2018, 01:01 PM
Will Buffalo Arm’s compression die fit into any other than a Lyman M die. I’m using a tablet and all of Buffalo Arm’s pages get cut off at the right so I can’t read everything.

I called them about the pages being cut and apparently nothing can be done about it.

yes, it's die specific, it's all on the BACO site .... which has Horrible navigation.

GregLaROCHE
11-11-2018, 04:01 PM
yes, it's die specific, it's all on the BACO site .... which has Horrible navigation.

So that means I need to pickup the Lyman M die I saw for ten bucks to put it in. It won’t work in any other die like a Lee Universal Expander die. I don’t have any Lyman M dies at this time.

rfd
11-11-2018, 04:19 PM
So that means I need to pickup the Lyman M die I saw for ten bucks to put it in. It won’t work in any other die like a Lee Universal Expander die. I don’t have any Lyman M dies at this time.

what i meant is that BACO offers their various caliber compression plugs for various manufacturer expander die bodies - lyman, rcbs, redding. if you already have one of those expander die bodies, buy the appropriate plug to fit that body.

Don McDowell
11-11-2018, 05:04 PM
Track of the Wolf sells compression plugs specifically built for Lee dies.

mazo kid
11-18-2018, 06:48 PM
Buy a bolt with the threads of the internal die threads you will use to compress the powder. I made one each for my 45 and 40 brass. A couple of minutes in the lathe and you will have the bolt head round and fitting in the brass case. No lathe? A grinder or belt sander will do the job too.

WALLNUTT
11-19-2018, 08:15 PM
If you have a LEE universal expander, check Track of the Wolf. If you don't have the LEE die, get one. They are very handy with all the plugs you can get from NOE and Track of the Wolf. Don't scrimp on good tools.

BPCS
12-07-2018, 01:40 PM
You can often buy a used Lyman M die at a gun show for $5.00. I buy a 3 foot length of the appropriate thread size and turn it down in a lathe to make various size compression dies.

John Boy
12-10-2018, 02:57 PM
Track of the Wolf sells compression plugs specifically built for Lee dies.
And heck of lot cheaper than M-Dies!
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1222/1/DIE-45-COMPRESS

One Lee expander die and as many caliber plugs for 3 bucks that you have rifles with different calibers ... I got a whole box of these plugs for my different caliber rifles

dirtball
01-04-2019, 10:54 PM
A 1.5" piece cut off the shank of an old 29/64" drill bit, cut and ground flat and square, fits perfectly into a 45-70 case. Unscrew the the expander end from the expander stem and use that as a compression die.
After dropping the powder I push the wad into the case, push the wad down to the powder with the drill shank, leave in place, insert into shell holder and set compression depth as you would with any other die.

Dave