PDA

View Full Version : Stick on WW ???

Russ in WY
10-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Last time I cast 40+ yrs ago there were only usable WW. Now there are all kinds of undesirable ones. Many times I have seen that the stick on ones are separated out[Not to be Used] . what is it about the stick on type that makes them undesirable? Or have I misinterpreted something. Today is got about 65 lbs of WW from a Trk Repair shop & very good price. However when I separated out the stick on's, I was just over ½ by weight ,[Stick On]. I even found some small clip type that were [AL]. So what are the stick on's good for ??? Russ.

oneokie
10-01-2008, 10:10 PM
The stick on's are nearly pure lead. Good for ML's.

DLCTEX
10-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Usually the stick-ons are close to pure lead. They are intended for aluminum wheels and glue on with their sticky tape and are more bendable to conform to the curve of the wheel. I keep them separate and smelt them tape and all (makes a lot of smoke) and use the tape for flux. I then use them to alloy WW boolits or to cast for BP. There are iron and zinc weights. The zinc will float longer than lead alloy and can be skimmed off with the iron ones that will not melt. DALE

kooz
10-01-2008, 10:28 PM
I seperate them from the clip-ons and smelt them seperately. I then mix 50/50 clip-ons and tape weight ingots for my Keith .44s and .45s, I get 11BHN bullets out of this mixture and have run them @1300fps with no leading using Lar's Carnuba Red. Good luck

Bob Krack
10-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Last time I cast 40+ yrs ago there were only usable WW. Now there are all kinds of undesirable ones. Many times I have seen that the stick on ones are separated out[Not to be Used] . what is it about the stick on type that makes them undesirable? Or have I misinterpreted something. Today is got about 65 lbs of WW from a Trk Repair shop & very good price. However when I separated out the stick on's, I was just over ½ by weight ,[Stick On]. I even found some small clip type that were [AL]. So what are the stick on's good for ??? Russ.Russ,
I cannot believe some are Aluminum. I do know for a fact that many lead alloy wheel weights were manufactured by "American Lead" Co. and were stamped "AL".

I worked at one of their facilities in southern California about 40 years ago.

Vic

DLCTEX
10-02-2008, 07:04 PM
The Al indicates that the weight is ok for aluminum wheels. It is coated with a polymer coating that prevents electrolysis reaction between dissimilar metals. They are usually
ww alloy unless marked Zn. The polymer coating will burn off and float. DALE

John Boy
10-02-2008, 11:22 PM
Stick On Wheel Weights:
Composition: 0.377% Sb, 1.45% Sn, 0.029% As, 98.144 Pb

Russ in WY
10-03-2008, 12:40 AM
Tks for all the info Guys, really appreciate it. Special Tks to John Boy for the composition Data. 98% was all the same size ,small ¼ oz/14gm. Wonder how they got that qty @ a large trk repair shop? I have a good supply of Tin to add when I melt them dwn. Tks Again Russ.

Just Duke
10-03-2008, 01:24 AM
Hey Russ I would buy those stick on or 20 lbs of tin for that matter.

John Boy
10-03-2008, 03:36 PM
I would buy those stick on or 20 lbs of tin for that matter.
http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=3572.0

nighthunter
10-03-2008, 04:34 PM
I've been finding in my WW's lately a lot of stick-ons that will not melt. If they float to the top and do not melt in a reasonable amount of time I skim them off and toss them with the clips. I'm not sure just what they are but they all seem to have a baked on finish of some type. Anyone have any ideas as to what they are made of?

Nighthunter

Just Duke
10-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Zinc, steel or plastic coated lead from my guess.

waksupi
10-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Stick ons are generally pure lead, and have a higher melting point than WW's. Separate, and melt separately

DLCTEX
10-03-2008, 11:21 PM
I have encountered stickons that were steel, check with a magnet. DALE

dominicfortune00
10-03-2008, 11:36 PM
I've been finding in my WW's lately a lot of stick-ons that will not melt. If they float to the top and do not melt in a reasonable amount of time I skim them off and toss them with the clips. I'm not sure just what they are but they all seem to have a baked on finish of some type. Anyone have any ideas as to what they are made of?

Nighthunter

This is what I do with unknown material ww.

Try to cut them with a pair of linemans pliers.

If they cut easy, they are lead.

If they are very hard to cut and the cutter makes a small groove in the weight, it's probably zinc.

As said above, check for steel with a magnet.

Russ in WY
10-03-2008, 11:45 PM
Tks for the offer Duke, but think I will just hold onto what I Have. The Tin is a 82 or 88 % jewelry alloy that I got free, in a ONE TIME deal. Russ.

Just Duke
10-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Tks for the offer Duke, but think I will just hold onto what I Have. The Tin is a 82 or 88 % jewelry alloy that I got free, in a ONE TIME deal. Russ.

No problem and welcome aboard from me. :drinks:

Bigjohn
10-04-2008, 01:50 AM

Nighthunter

In recent collections of raw materials (WW's), I have found some stick on's which are NOT lead. I have some here which are marked Zn and others which are only marked with the weight.

John.