PDA

View Full Version : What are these?

11-08-2018, 09:04 PM
These came in box of reloading stuff from an auction. What are they? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181109/3bcb3da20f436b33a2d9c10b286e242f.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181109/7ecc8760f74263d05db8b677f8bc8aeb.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181109/4779d4ed9e85c664bbbc512b2a12db60.jpg

The one in a case is a 30-06 case for a size reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skunk1
11-08-2018, 09:07 PM
Primer pocket cleaners

jimkim
11-08-2018, 09:07 PM
Primer pocket brush.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

11-08-2018, 09:09 PM
That was my guess, had never seen them. Always scrapers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grmps
11-08-2018, 09:18 PM
RCBS has them on their RCBS Trim Mate Case Prep Center - MPN: 90375

https://i.imgur.com/AV04lky.png

Wild Bill 7
11-08-2018, 09:27 PM
The one green handle one is RCBS. Has a brush for both large and small primer pockets. They work very well also.

3856imp
11-09-2018, 12:20 AM
Yeah primer pocket brush

robg
11-09-2018, 05:23 AM
got one never used it

jaguarxk120
11-09-2018, 09:51 AM
The primer pocket brushes are being pushed to the back of the
loading bench with Stainless Steel Pin tumbling.
Pin tumbling cleans case's as new inside and out.

dmit
11-12-2018, 10:27 PM
Is stainless pin tumbling always used with water ? How is dry time in the winter?

Mr_Sheesh
11-13-2018, 01:44 AM
Dry time's pretty fair with a case dryer. In the rainy season here (i.e. all but Tourist Season) it's mandatory; We don't get too many hot dry days.

jaguarxk120
11-13-2018, 09:29 AM
Dry time depends on the weather, now with the cold weather the house is dry. Case's spread out on a
large bath towel will dry over night. During the summer in the bright sun, much faster.

For me reloading is a extension of shooting and I enjoy it almost as much as shooting.

gwpercle
11-13-2018, 04:30 PM
The primer pocket brushes are being pushed to the back of the
loading bench with Stainless Steel Pin tumbling.
Pin tumbling cleans case's as new inside and out.

I don't care for the water mess .....or the drying song and dance....in my reloading building I have no water line, no drain line and no sink...would cost me an arm leg and first born child to get installed .
Dry media and primer pocket brushes work better for me . I prefer to use my dehydrator for making beef jerky , not drying cases !
Gary

jaguarxk120
11-13-2018, 05:23 PM
The dry media only cleans the outside of the case's.
From what I've seen the inside is coated with the dirty media dust and cleaning agent.

The SS pins clean brass inside and out like new unfired factory brass.

To me it is minor to do the water/drying thing for cleaner brass.

L Erie Caster
11-13-2018, 10:19 PM
SS pins clean cases far better than dry tumbling. Drying cases is as simple as spreading them out on a towel and leaving them sit for up to 24 hours. I get no dust and much less mess from ss pins, when the filthy water is dumped down the sanitary sewer. The cases come out spotlessly clean and sparkling like jewelry inside and out including primer pockets. No longer is their a need for primer pocket cleaning tools or case neck brushes.
Just my $ 0.02

mdi
11-14-2018, 12:54 AM
Jes thinkin'. How much differance does clean, pristine case IDs make over plain old dry tumbling? (Need to inspect the inside of a fired case. Actually not all that dirty, kinda self cleaning like primer pockets). I can understand if one wants super shiny, pristine outsides of their brass, (ego?;)), but super clean case interiors is really off the wall...

I have a lot of time for relaoding and way more reloading time than shooting time, but I'm never bored enough to worry about how clean, shiny the insides of my cases are :veryconfu

BTW; I have tried wet tumbling and for me it does not do much better than my dry media mix and a whole lot messier. It just makes the brass shinier...

Hardcast416taylor
11-14-2018, 03:08 PM
Upon seeing the picture and recognising what they are made me think back to my very early days of case prep when I used a small pocket straight slot screwdriver for this task.Robert

Big Wes
11-17-2018, 07:21 AM
Used mine the other day for the 1st time. My no go gage wouldn't go into the primer pocket, a couple twists with the pocket cleaner and everything was a go. A handy tool to have just in case. IMHO

Stilly
11-22-2018, 11:56 PM
I don't care for the water mess .....or the drying song and dance....in my reloading building I have no water line, no drain line and no sink...would cost me an arm leg and first born child to get installed .
Dry media and primer pocket brushes work better for me . I prefer to use my dehydrator for making beef jerky , not drying cases !
Gary

If I feel like being lazy, I will take my tumbler and fill it about half with rice and then the other half with the shells and Thumler about a thousand or two at a time. When I gotta do 10k 9mm I will do this a lot. After several uses the rice will become gray and smell kinda foul, but it will still clean the shells with a slight luster that is nice and shiny on the outside. And what does a 20lb bag of rice cost? About $14 at Costco last time I checked. Tumble for about an hour or two and you are good to go IIRC. No water needed, the rice tends to scrub the shells nicely. Oh yeah, and NO DUST as well...

lightman
11-23-2018, 10:04 AM
I use 2 different methods to dry my cases. In the Summer I'l put them on a baking/cookie sheet and leave them outside in the sun. I don't keep up with the time but an afternoon will get them hot enough that they are uncomfortable to touch and they will be dry. I the winter I put them in the oven, on the same cookie sheet, for 30-40 minutes on bake at 200º. I have my own dedicated cookie sheet.

jmort
11-23-2018, 10:43 AM
I just got the FA dryer. It works well as would any dehydrator. I do not want to wait on the weather and want production on my time, my terms. The FA case prep unit works real good as well on bottle neck cases.

dhenry132
11-28-2018, 01:43 PM
Still and always will use them

David2011
12-02-2018, 11:44 PM
Jes thinkin'. How much differance does clean, pristine case IDs make over plain old dry tumbling? (Need to inspect the inside of a fired case. Actually not all that dirty, kinda self cleaning like primer pockets). I can understand if one wants super shiny, pristine outsides of their brass, (ego?;)), but super clean case interiors is really off the wall...

Most of my reloading is for handgun cartridges so not much need to inspect the insides. They're either cracked or they're not. If .38, .45 Colt or .45 ACP it's not likely they're cracked no matter how many times they've been loaded. If .357 or .40 S&W cracked cases can be identified by sound. I tumble everything before reloading for several reasons. Among them, I prefer handling clean cases and they're not going to damage my dies. I usually tumble in fine corn cob blasting media with some mineral spirits and NuFinish added. I like it shiny for my own satisfaction but don't care if other people see it or not. I'm satisfied with the shine that I get from corn cob as described. Loading up 80 rounds into 4 magazines while the rest of the squad is shooting it's not likely anyone else will see it anyway. I just enjoy nice shiny brass topped off with Columbia blue PCed boolits. The Columbia blue matches the grip of my shootin' iron (in the avatar) so it's all personal satisfaction. Cowboy loads get a good polish as well so they feed into the Model '73 smoothly.

For the .44 Mag a quick tumble is all that's needed. They're high pressure 'Contender/Ruger only' loads used in a Contender so they don't get very dirty when fired. Feeding and extraction are not a problem so they just don't need much attention.

Now, if I polished the brass on shotgun shells I'm not sure if that would be ego or just plain stoopid.