PDA

View Full Version : Glock Mags

MGySgt
11-08-2018, 04:56 PM
How do you clean your Glock Mags??????

Shooting Cast 9MM with glock mags they sure do get dirty.

If you push in the pin in the base plate it still doesn't just slide off.

The Governor
11-08-2018, 05:07 PM
Squeeze the sides with big pliers as you push the pin.

First time is rough.

Plate plinker
11-08-2018, 06:03 PM
You have to clean them?

Shingle
11-08-2018, 07:06 PM
You have to clean those things?? My range mags have been in use since 1994 and have never been disassembled for cleaning just wiped off. Have never had a reason to clean the inside of a glock mag.

MGySgt
11-08-2018, 08:15 PM
You have to clean those things?? My range mags have been in use since 1994 and have never been disassembled for cleaning just wiped off. Have never had a reason to clean the inside of a glock mag.

I take it you don't shoot cast. I use the Glock mags in my Ruger PCC 9 mm. After a few thousand rounds thrugh them they get real funky. One has an organge follower - you have to wipe it off to see the ornge.

MGySgt
11-08-2018, 08:17 PM
You have to clean them?

Yep - and yes I clean my mgs for my carry guns too. They get lint and dust in them - don't wnt a mag malfunction if I need my carry gun.

MGySgt
11-08-2018, 08:18 PM
Squeeze the sides with big pliers as you push the pin.

First time is rough.

Sounds like you need 3 hands to take them apart. :? :?

Ed_Shot
11-08-2018, 09:09 PM
There are some pretty straight forward youtube videos about glock mag disassembly/reassembly.

Example (if I'm doing this right): https://youtu.be/rJq_gYUPqQU

dk17hmr
11-08-2018, 09:23 PM
I have a few thousand rounds through my 9mm mags mostly suppressed with cast bullets from an ar carbine. How is the Ruger worse than that?

Looks like mag disassembly has been covered pretty well.

LUCKYDAWG13
11-08-2018, 09:33 PM
is this what your looking for https://www.glockstore.com/Double-Diamond-MDT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gmbJwYbD9w

Bazoo
11-08-2018, 09:55 PM
Try harder. They dont just slip apart. Put the body against a table with the base sticking off. Put a punch in the hole, big as will fit, and then you can really put some pressure against it. Clean with remoil and wipe clean and reassemble.

bdicki
11-08-2018, 10:09 PM
The newer mags you have to squeeze the sides as well as the pin.

Bazoo
11-08-2018, 10:39 PM
bdicki, I didnt know that. I will have to check out some new glock mags when I get the chance. I've had gen 2 and 3 glocks several times, but never newer ones. Some of the mags I had for the 17 I had were 1 gen mags that swelled to keep them from dropping free when full and had a U shaped cut in the back instead of a squared cut.

I felt I had some serious firepower when I had a G22 with 6 mags. Sold it to finance a springfield 1911 milspec though and never looked back.

Petrol & Powder
11-09-2018, 12:27 AM
I just put a punch in the hole in the base plate (the largest one that will fit) and lever the base plate off the magazine body.

The first time you do it you'll think you are going to break something but it works just fine.
The base plates are held in place by the center pin of the inner base (similar to most mags of the same design) AND the sides of the magazine tube are keyed to the base plate. You have to overcome both to slide the base plate off.

Once you get one apart you'll grasp the concept in your mind. It really isn't that tough but they are held together a little better than most metal magazines with removable base plates.

As for cleaning them ; you have to get a Glock magazine REALLY dirty before it will stop functioning. I mean REALLY, REALLY dirty. Like rocks inside of it dirty.

lefty o
11-09-2018, 12:46 AM
once i get a glock mag apart, i put arredondo basepads on them. hold more, and mucho easier to take apart.

sigep1764
11-09-2018, 01:55 AM
Check out the G Tool or GTUL. I forget how they spell it. Its a tool that squeezes the sides of the mag while you depress the pin. It also comes with a nylon brush for the inside of the mag.

rockshooter
11-09-2018, 02:23 AM
I use a small c-clamp to compress the sides- the trick is to use a punch to turn the little plate under the base sideways first so the sides can be squished in a bit. Once you figure it out, it's pretty easy
Loren

Lloyd Smale
11-09-2018, 07:55 AM
never had any more trouble with glock mags then others. Some need a good push. I just bent a piece of steal at a 90 degree angle and put it in the vice and use it to push on the floor plate while I push the button on stubborn floorplates.

MGySgt
11-09-2018, 10:14 AM
I have a few thousand rounds through my 9mm mags mostly suppressed with cast bullets from an ar carbine. How is the Ruger worse than that?

Looks like mag disassembly has been covered pretty well.

I don't know if the Ruger is worse than your AR. I just know the Mags are dirty. Using Unique and lubed boolits that crude can get thick and hard. Had a problem with a 625 45ACP until I took the cylindar and crane apart to clean it.

MGySgt
11-09-2018, 10:20 AM
Thank you all for your replies. I already skined mmy hand up pretty good when I got one of them apart. I cleaned it and put it back together and decided to Ask the Experts on how to take them apart.

MGySgt
11-09-2018, 10:23 AM
There are some pretty straight forward youtube videos about glock mag disassembly/reassembly.

That is pretty dang slick. I just need to find one of my punches that fit the base plate hole.

Petrol & Powder
11-09-2018, 11:59 AM

Yep /\ It's pretty straight forward. I think a lot of folks over think this.

Plate plinker
11-09-2018, 10:22 PM
Yep - and yes I clean my mgs for my carry guns too. They get lint and dust in them - don't wnt a mag malfunction if I need my carry gun.

I definetly clean my carry guns too.

What kind of lube are you using on your cast boolits? I fire a fair bit of cast and never get enough crude to warrant cleaning. The problem we have in this region with gun mags is fine sand. I will ram a mag brush into a magazine in between stages

buckwheatpaul
11-09-2018, 10:54 PM
is this what your looking for https://www.glockstore.com/Double-Diamond-MDT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gmbJwYbD9w

Got one....works great!

MGySgt
11-09-2018, 11:01 PM
What kind of lube are you using on your cast boolits? I fire a fair bit of cast and never get enough crude to warrant cleaning. The problem we have in this region with gun mags is fine sand. I will ram a mag brush into a magazine in between stages

The 9MM loads are lubed with LBT Blue. Lyman Supper Molly is the worst and I only use it on my rifle boolits. Currently all new cast are lubed with While Label lubbe.

MGySgt
11-09-2018, 11:02 PM
Got one....works great!

Where did you get it????

buckwheatpaul
11-10-2018, 09:50 AM
Where did you get it????

I ordered it on AMAZON (I typed in Glock magazine disassembly tools and this site came up: American National Firearms Disassembly Tool for Glock Magazines) ....was very reasonable ($10.70)......I believe that you can also get it from glock performance.....This tool sure beats squeezing the magazine and fighting the pin and the lip at the same time.....

dragon813gt
11-10-2018, 11:13 AM
You can get the magazine disassembly tool, punch and front sight tool as a kit for $14. I can’t vouch for the quality but that’s really cheap for all the tools you need to work on a Glock.

MGySgt
11-10-2018, 11:25 PM
I ordered it on AMAZON (I typed in Glock magazine disassembly tools and this site came up: American National Firearms Disassembly Tool for Glock Magazines) ....was very reasonable ($10.70)......I believe that you can also get it from glock performance.....This tool sure beats squeezing the magazine and fighting the pin and the lip at the same time.....

Thank you buckwheatpaul!

MGySgt
11-10-2018, 11:26 PM
You can get the magazine disassembly tool, punch and front sight tool as a kit for $14. I can’t vouch for the quality but that’s really cheap for all the tools you need to work on a Glock.

The only tool I need is the mag disassembly tool. I don't own a Glock pistol. My Ruger PCC 9mm I have setup for Glck Mags as they are cheaper than the Ruger ones.

kevin c
11-11-2018, 02:49 PM
The easiest is a dedicated tool like the one that Luckydawg13 describes. I have one called the MagClaw, sold here: https://cpwsa.com/products/magclaw-glock-magazine-floorplate-removal-tool

It works very well and is easy to use (you get good mechanical advantage with the handle, so little effort is needed), doesn't chew up the floor plate hole like a punch, doesn't need three hands or a flat surface to work on, and the version I have is half the price of that sold by the good Mr. MacGill.

ETA: didn't read the last few posts - sounds like there are even better prices to be had. I will say that the quality of mine is top notch, and it's US made.