PDA

View Full Version : Ruger or other brand revolver ?

jack19512
10-01-2008, 06:14 PM
That time of year is fast approaching us, you know when the old bank account tends to get depleted or the credit card takes a hit! I'm talking about Christmas. My wife mentioned to me that she needed some ideas for me so I told her I would give it some thought.

I have decided I want another revolver, either single or double action but it has to have at least a 7 inch barrel and a caliber that would be suitable for deer sized game. I thought about staying with a Ruger but my recent experience with them has led me to keep other brands in mind.

I called Ruger today and wanted to know what the difference is between the Blackhawks, Redhawks, super Redhawks, etc...etc... so I would be better able to decide which I want. But, they weren't much help. I talked to the first person and they didn't know so they transferred me to someone else and they didn't act like they knew either.

So if some of you that have had experience with the various makes and calibers would care to give me your opinion on some of your favorites I would really appreciate it. The criteria that I have decided on is...

1. Must have at least a 7 inch barrel
2. Caliber must be sufficient for deer sized game
3. Of course accuracy is important
4. I would prefer to stay with the 44 mag because I already have the necessary casting and reloading equipment but will consider other calibers if there is justification
5. Not a must but if scope mounting is easy would be a plus.

I have been known to get Christmas presents early so your opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

Down South
10-01-2008, 06:26 PM
I’d suggest a S&W 629 Classic especially if you want to stay with a 44 Mag. You can get up to an 8-3/8” barrel. I have both Rugers and Smiths. The Smith’s in my opinion are just better revolvers. The N-frames are drilled and tapped for a scope mount under the rear sight.

August
10-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Unless your in the market for a Freedom Arms in .454, I think I'd stay with the rooger. My choice would be the super blackhawk in .44. The nice thing about Smiths is that they are light weight (relatively speaking) and have very good triggers out of the box.

However, If you're going to shoot it a lot, a rooger is very hard to beat (or break for that matter). I used to have a stainless S.B. in .44 that had a 10 inch barrel. It shot really well but was more difficult to carry around than a good scout rifle. So, I made a rule that five inch and shorter barrels belong on handguns and barrels longer than that belong on rifles.

GP100man
10-01-2008, 07:03 PM
i`ve always wanted a SS blackhawk hunter in 41 magnum or 44 , biesley grips !!!!

GP100man:cbpour:

freedom475
10-01-2008, 07:11 PM
The smith 29 is just a sweet!! revolver....but...there is just something about a "Hog-leg" that makes ruger my favorite.

I speak from experience because I have all or have had all guns mentioned here...

Redhawk=TANK ++'s can't break it! I'm serious here... It will take just about anything!
--'s Recoil is miss-directed to make it harder to shoot, and heavy, the little factory grip will tear your thumb web with supper power loads.

Smith 29= ++'s Best trigger, just fits right, Accurate
--'s recoil direction, cost (Very spendy), Hard to work on (Lots of parts) , Weak!!... you Can ruin one with 6 rounds of "Super Power" Loads...I did it.

Blackhawk... -- Small Grip frame....This kicks so hard, so fast, I can't even give it one Plus... makes my 475 Linebaugh seem like a *****,,.cat

Super Black Hawk+++++ Yes now here it is...this gun is so accurate, the trigger is so ea'silly worked on and the grip frame just rolls in your hand. The 7 1/2 is like a sniper rifle in the right hands.

Ruger makes a Hunter SBH that takes a scope very well. If it was me, this is the gun I would buy!!!:Fire: If my wife was buying it for me with her money I would fo for the Smith "Custom Shop"... so I could trade it on a Ruger SBH and put $350 of her dollars in my pocket:mrgreen::mrgreen: Cause you know she'll be getting it back anyway.[smilie=1::mrgreen: Hope this helps....

The Super Black hawk is really a nice ride.

Kinda like a Ford or Chevy..... The smith is like a tricked out Mazda... yeah sure it looks nicer and rides smoother, but you will burn it down if you try and ask it to pull the moble to the next lot...LOL:Fire::mrgreen:

targetshootr
10-01-2008, 07:48 PM
A Ruger 45 Bisley will do the job and it weighs less than a 44. But if you don't reload, get a 44 cause ammo is easier to find.

jack19512
10-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the replies. Could anyone tell me what would be the pro's or con's when it comes to a 7 1/2 in barrel VS. a 10 1/2 barrel?

targetshootr
10-01-2008, 08:18 PM
If your eyes are over 50 you may not see the sight at the end of a 10" barrel. And it's cumbersome to tote around. I think the ideal barrel length is 5 1/2".

Bass Ackward
10-01-2008, 09:06 PM
You really need to go handle them instead of asking for opinion. One of those that you are considering is just going to feel like it should never leave your hand.

That's the one!

pumpguy
10-01-2008, 10:05 PM
I bought a SBH with a 10.5" barrel on a whim. First time I took it to the range all I had was some factory Winchester 240 hollow points. I got inch and a half groups at 25 yards and put the rounds on the paper 10 out of 12 times at 100. If it is as tough as my two GP100s, you will NOT be able to hurt it. I love my Rugers!!!

missionary5155
10-01-2008, 10:13 PM
WEll there is another 44 mag... Dan Wesson. Interchangable barrels. The MOST accurate double action revolver about. Will take all you can put to it and NOT fall apart. Just ask any 200 meter steel shooter. You can have a GOOD 44 or you can have the BEST ! I have several DW´s in various calibers and would shoot against any revolver out there... including the double the price Freedom Arms revolvers. The Dan is not better... but just maybe as Good ! I have large Frame S&W revolvers also... BEAUTIFUL ! BUT that sure will not make it outshoot a DAN WESSON. And Ruger.. I knew steel shooters who bought 10 Rugers at a time and fired them all to keep the one or two that would shoot good enough to reliable hit steel at 200 meters. I have RUGER revolvers also... but guess what revolvers go hunting with me... Dan Wesson.

Heavy lead
10-01-2008, 10:25 PM
I've got a Redhawk, SBlackhawk Hunter, Blackhawk Bisley, 629 Smith and a Super Redhawk in 44. Like them all. Two suggestions: Super Blackhawk Hunter Bisley model, or the ugly one the Super Redhawk, IMO the ugliest handgun ever developed, butt ugly, but it's my best shooter, I've got two, a 44 and a 454. Get a Wolf spring kit, start with the 10 pound hammer spring and the 10 pound hammer return spring, get a good 300 grain or heavier gas checked boolit mould and use a lot of 296, and a Leupold 2x scope in the 7.5" barrel, can't go wrong. Don't waste the time on the 454, the 44 will do everything it will IMO with less hype and hurt.

beagle
10-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Amen on a 5 1/2" Ruger .44 Mag SBH. The best of all worlds and you'll never wear one out as opposed to the M29...IMO./beale

DLCTEX
10-01-2008, 11:00 PM
For a hunting handgun I see no need for double action as I will be shooting single action for best accuracy. I may consider a double action for a backup gun for dangerous game. For aimed followup shots the single action gives up nothing in time. Super Blackhawk with 7 1/2 in. barrel for me. DALE

jack19512
10-01-2008, 11:19 PM
You really need to go handle them instead of asking for opinion.

Well, that's OK but handling them won't tell me what I need to know that might be of some importance to me. Handling them would be my last step after I have a couple to choose from. I have never hunted with a handgun before that is why I need the input from those that have. What do you handgun hunt with?

jack19512
10-01-2008, 11:24 PM
WEll there is another 44 mag... Dan Wesson.

I had forgot about Dan Wesson. Do they still make the Dan Wesson revolvers? I know I had always heard good things about them.

jack19512
10-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Something like this looks interesting. Since my only 44 mag is at Ruger at the moment and I am not sure when I will get it back I may just go ahead and pick something up shortly.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_49_118/products_id/70183

jack19512
10-01-2008, 11:38 PM
Here is one that takes the Ruger scope rings.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_49_118/products_id/70678

freedom475
10-02-2008, 12:51 AM
I have never hunted with a handgun before that is why I need the input from those that have. What do you handgun hunt with?

Why a Freedom475! of course!! But I still say you will never regret buying a 7 1/2 inch Super Blackhawk.... If you are for sure going to put a scope on it...(to each his own{but a scope is no way to treat a fine handgun}:mrgreen:) then I would say the Super Redhawk is one of the most Toxic hunting pistols available.

freedom475
10-02-2008, 12:53 AM
Here is one that takes the Ruger scope rings.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_49_118/products_id/70678

The listing doesn't mention it, but this is a Bisley grip frame...Very nice! Just don't ever twirl it cause the Bisley Trigger will slice the whole side of your triggger finger OFF starting at the nail [smilie=1:[smilie=1: No BS

dubber123
10-02-2008, 02:04 AM
I had forgot about Dan Wesson. Do they still make the Dan Wesson revolvers? I know I had always heard good things about them.

While 5155 seems to have had great luck with his, the company traded hands numerous times, and quality ranged from very good, to really rotten. My brother has one of the latter. 3 trips back after he bought it. My 4" Smith will outshoot his 8", and the last time I handled it, 4 of the 6 chambers were out of time.

Like any brand, they made lemons too. I'd check one out REALLY carefully before buying. CZ bought the rights to DW, but I don't believe they are making them currently.

missionary5155
10-02-2008, 05:55 AM
Good morning CZ bought out Dan a couple years ago mainly to get the DAN .45 line. They are still making the .44 mag and .44Supermag... But you can still get NICE Monson Dan Wesson (Gunbroker Auctionsarms) for descent prices. :Fire:

missionary5155
10-02-2008, 06:09 AM
For a hunting handgun I see no need for double action as I will be shooting single action for best accuracy. I may consider a double action for a backup gun for dangerous game. For aimed followup shots the single action gives up nothing in time. Super Blackhawk with 7 1/2 in. barrel for me. DALE
Ya know of course you can shoot a double action revolver as a SINGLE Action ???? Last deer I shot was with my Dan Wesson .375 Supermag (Double Action) but I cocked the hammer first single action style. All steel shooters shoot single action whether they use double action revolvers or single action revolvers. Then there are the fellers that regularly shoot running rabbits with double action revolvers..
I hope you do not have some false conception that double action revolvers are not accurate. The last year I shot 200 meter steel in Illinois I won State AAA with a 79 for 80 with my Dan Wesson double action revolver. There were no single action revolvers in the top 5 places... just Dan Wesson.

Bass Ackward
10-02-2008, 06:52 AM
Well, that's OK but handling them won't tell me what I need to know that might be of some importance to me. Handling them would be my last step after I have a couple to choose from. I have never hunted with a handgun before that is why I need the input from those that have. What do you handgun hunt with?

Jack,

I "currently" have a 7 1/2" and a 5 1/2" Redhawk. I have a 29-3 4". I have a custom Bisley 7 1/2". The custom Bisley spent it's first life as a 5 1/2" Super Blackhawk. My father has the other SB that I wore out converted to a Bisley also. All of these are 44s in the current inventory. All have taken double digit deer over the last 50 years. I have owned 5 different 44 Mag rifles with two in the current inventory.

I have lost interest in and sold multiple 44 Contenders, imported single actions, as well as other Smiths and Rugers. Just .... in .... 44 magnum.

So what's that tell ya? A gun is a very personal choice. Just like a woman. And those need to be rotated until you find the right one. And after you get the one you think is the right one, you may still need another model. My wife once asked me why I trade so many guns? I told her because I am not rich enough to collect and trade wives. :grin:

Trust me, there isn't a single 44 Mag out there that the bullets will bounce off game no matter what model you buy. The only consideration that is worth your time is if you might possibly want to mount some type of glass on it as some models can accommodate that directly from the factory. Every thing else will be answered by "feel". That's both visual and physical stimuli.

Go handle one and start your .... "collection" today. Then work it up and go hunting.

dubber123
10-02-2008, 07:48 AM
Good morning CZ bought out Dan a couple years ago mainly to get the DAN .45 line. They are still making the .44 mag and .44Supermag... But you can still get NICE Monson Dan Wesson (Gunbroker Auctionsarms) for descent prices. :Fire:

Try as I might, I cannot find any revolvers on CZ's website, only 1911's. No pics of revolvers, and none listed in their product listing. I know they were making them, but had heard they stopped.

Can you find them listed, in case someone wanted one?

DLCTEX
10-02-2008, 08:38 AM
I am aware that you can shoot a double action in single action fashion, do it all the time. I just wouldn't choose a pistol just because it was double action as I never fire mine double action. Most single actions have a better trigger pull than double actions without any need for tinkering. My all time favorite pistol was a High Standard Double nine in 22 cal. Wish I still had it, but I don't wish it enough to pay what they fetch on auction sites. DALE

missionary5155
10-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Try as I might, I cannot find any revolvers on CZ's website, only 1911's. No pics of revolvers, and none listed in their product listing. I know they were making them, but had heard they stopped.

Can you find them listed, in case someone wanted one?

Good morning I just looked at the DW sight and I am crushed... NO revolvers ! It has been 2 months since I was looking... Well gentleman.. If ya want a Dan ya better get a GOOD used one.. they are out there.. Buy one with 95% finish and it probably was shot a box or less.

Naphtali
10-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Were I you, I would think in the long term and obtain a Super Redhawk in 480 Ruger. Their value has not yet skyrocketed. Components and ammunition are readily available. And the cartridge's hunting potential is essentially unlimited. I am told it is more comfortable to shoot than 454. I cannot confirm this. I have SRH 480s and FA 475s only. I do not find the 480s uncomfortable to shoot, and I am a small man.

Hope this helps.

9.3X62AL
10-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Very personal choice, a hunting revolver. But there are elements to them that I prefer, and some that I don't.

In single actions, I STRONGLY prefer Ruger's Bisley grip to the plowhandle Blackhawk shape.

The Redhawk is a boat anchor, and I can't decide if it needs a holster or sling to carry. With Michaels neoprene grips in place, it is WITHOUT DOUBT the most comfortable-to-fire 44 Magnum I've ever lit off, even with nuclear-level loadings.

I have two Bisley Blackhawks (357 Mag and 45 Colt) with 7.5" barrels, and they are a bit overlong for comfortable seated carry, and are NOT quick out of the holster. At all. They shoot GREAT, though.

Compared to Rugers, the S&Ws are a bit delicate but still capable of hunting usage. The recent N-frames have been beefed up metallurgically to withstand the "240 grain @ 1400 FPS" load levels, but they are not real comfy to shoot for a length of time during a range session. I think the Smiths are at their best with Elmer Keith's load levels--he said "1200 FPS is all you need" with his 240 grain SWC, and in the 29/629 that's a good stopping point for me. 240 grains leaving the muzzle at 1200 FPS will make venison just fine if directed properly. The most productive deer rifle I own--an 1897-vintage Win '73 in 44/40--has taken deer in the hundreds with 200 grain flatnoses barely going 1100 FPS. To each his own, have fun any way ya want--but a 454 or 475 or 500 just makes no sense to me.

jack19512
10-02-2008, 04:19 PM
I stopped by a local gun shop today to see what they had to offer. Not much luck. He had lots of guns, just not what I was looking for. Plenty of semi-auto's, small revolvers, and some revolvers that would be used for cowboy shooting. No Blackhawks or Redhawks. Do any of you have any experience with the Taurus Raging Bull revolvers? He has a used one that looked good and would include a shoulder holster for $450.00. It looks just like this one. It felt good in my hands.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_50_494/products_id/31571

targetshootr
10-02-2008, 05:12 PM
I buy guns off the internet cause you can get the best deals, although Bud's has good prices. Or at least they did when I bought a Rodeo several years ago.

jack19512
10-02-2008, 05:23 PM
I buy guns off the internet cause you can get the best deals, although Bud's has good prices. Or at least they did when I bought a Rodeo several years ago.

I am just using Bud's for comparison and info purposes. They are about 2 hours from me.

targetshootr
10-02-2008, 07:17 PM
If I were you I'd stop at however many shops are necessary to hold those guns in your hands. Unless you know someone who has them. As long as you get a good deal you can get your money out of it and then go looking for something else. That's half the fun.

jack19512
10-02-2008, 08:13 PM
If I were you I'd stop at however many shops are necessary to hold those guns in your hands. Unless you know someone who has them. As long as you get a good deal you can get your money out of it and then go looking for something else. That's half the fun.

Again, I have to do my research and eliminate the ones that are not going to suit my needs to start with for whatever reason and choose some possibilities before holding them in my hands.

I only have one gun shop local to me and at almost $4.00 a gallon gas I am not inclined to drive all over the country looking for something to hold in my hands at this moment. [smilie=1:

OK guys I get it, make mental note to hold some guns(or whatever tickles my fancy)in my hands. Now, has anybody had any experience with the Taurus Raging Bull revolvers. So far the Rugers seem to be my best bet.

BD
10-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Dan Wesson 744. I went through 5 Redhawks till I found one that would really group, the DW blew it away out of the box. After a $50 trip to DW with a sample of the 265 grain WFNs I like, the 744 came back shooting better than I can hold, or see. Many thousands of rounds later it'll still print 4" groups @ 100 yards if I put the glass on it, and do my part.

As to double action hunting handguns; I've ocassionally had something critical I was trying to hold on to with my other hand. Bear hounds, a tree branch, a flashlight, that sort of thing. I know there's guys out there who can draw, cock, and shoot a single action revolver one handed pretty well. I'm just not one of them.

CZ is not marketing the revolvers currently. However, the revolver shop is still there (at least as of last spring) and service and parts are still available.

BD

chaos
10-03-2008, 08:55 PM
No need to get anything other than a Ruger. They make damn fine revolvers for the money.
They are STOUTER than the smiths.
Try out the standard as well as the Bisley before Buying. I read all the hype about the Bisley frame, but just holding one in my hand made me want to puke. Some folks wouldnt have anything else. I wouldnt have one if someone gave one to me...kinda like a Glock....

The top Two are my "Hog Rifles" All in .44mag
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s132/colbcheese/rugers-2.jpg

jack19512
10-03-2008, 09:48 PM
I wouldnt have one if someone gave one to me...kinda like a Glock....

OH NO! Not a Glock hater! I carry a G26 and love it. Glocks, you hate them or you love them. :mrgreen:

Tom Herman
10-04-2008, 11:23 AM
If I were going to buy a hunting revolver, it would be a Ruger! They will last well forever short of insane loads.
Be prepared for inital disappointment and don't be surprised if you have to send the brand new gun back to the factory, but be comforted that when it comes back, you'll have something that will last lifetimes!
I have three of the Redhawks in .45 LC, but each of them has either had to go back to the factory or to a smith: Even with midrange loads (8 grains Unique, 255 gr. SWC), the rounds stick in the cylinders and the extractors.
A bit of reaming took care of the problems, and the two that are back are functioning and shooting great!
I'm still waiting for the last one to return from Newport.
I usually carry the 7-1/2" when I'm in the woods. Yeah, it's certainly a lot heavier than my S & W 6" 624, but it will handle anything I run across!
Be aware that some states have minimum barrel lengths for hunting. I belive that my state dictates a 6" minimum length for hunting, so the 7-1/2" fits the bill, but not the 5-1/2"...

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

DLCTEX
10-04-2008, 02:35 PM
My only experience with the Tarus Raging Bull series is in Raging Hornet and is limited to a couple of months. I am having issues with binding of the cylinder after firing a shot, sometimes to the extent that I have to assist it turning with my off hand while cocking the hammer. I have not yet determined if it is due to the taper of the 22 hornet case, lube in the cylinder,or something else. It is a very large pistol and is not something you can shoot offhand unless you're built like a gorilla. I am looking at building a holster that will allow a cross draw carry across the chest with shoulder straps to carry the weight. The pistol scope I have on it requires full arm extension to view through it, which makes the weight hard to control. DALE

jack19512
10-05-2008, 11:05 AM
I want to thank everyone for their replies. I drove to Buds gun shop yesterday, a little over two hours drive and all they had in stock was the Taurus Raging Bull. No super Blackhawks or Redhawks. I was so disappointed. So I ended up with this. It will go good with my 1895 CB 45/70. And eventually I will get my 44 Blackhawk back from Ruger and hopefully it will be right. Here is my new 1894 CB 44 mag.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/jack19512/1894CB44Mag.jpg

Lloyd Smale
10-05-2008, 02:31 PM
I might get some argument out of this but id stay away from the taurus guns. The ones ive owned and handled varied from not bad to junk and after the pour luck ive had with there service dept i wouldnt by another. If your looking for bang for the buck a super blackhawk ruger is hands down the best gun to buy. theres better guns out there but not in the rugers price range
I stopped by a local gun shop today to see what they had to offer. Not much luck. He had lots of guns, just not what I was looking for. Plenty of semi-auto's, small revolvers, and some revolvers that would be used for cowboy shooting. No Blackhawks or Redhawks. Do any of you have any experience with the Taurus Raging Bull revolvers? He has a used one that looked good and would include a shoulder holster for $450.00. It looks just like this one. It felt good in my hands.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_50_494/products_id/31571

unclebill
10-10-2008, 12:08 AM
I'm no rabid Taurus fan.
but i do own the raging bull .454casull
it is accurate.
really solid and heavy (63 oz.)
and after about 2000 rnds. it works just like it did new.
perfectly.
i like this one a lot.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/billhedges/davesdrive102-2.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/billhedges/davesdrive101-2.jpg

Bret4207
10-11-2008, 08:38 AM
I'm not a huge fan of Rugers SA's, or any SA for that matter. But if I was hunting for a hunting revolver I'd consider a Ruger BH Bisley with not more than a 6.6" barrel. Over 7" and it's just too darn long to be handy for me. My BH is a 45 Convertible x 4 5/8" with a worked trigger. I keep saying I'm going to "Bisley-ize" it, but that trigger stops me. Maybe just a different set of grips will help.

I'd surely consider a Smith. In 44 mag the 240-280 gr boolits at 1000- 1200 fps will do anything a 1450 load will do and a lot more pleasantly too. Unless you're hunting Grizzlies in the tag alders those super-whomper loads are over kill.