PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 358315BM

insanelupus
10-01-2008, 12:59 PM
I purchased what was advertised as a Lyman 358315 mould from someone in another state. The mould is stamped Lyman 358315BM. Does anyone know the purpose of the BM suffix on the number? I know there is a stamping they add when it is the last run for that cherry and I'm hoping this isn't that suffix!

Ben
10-01-2008, 01:03 PM
You could give Lyman a call ? Of course they aren't noted for customer service. So even that may not turn up what you are looking for.

insanelupus
10-01-2008, 01:11 PM
I called Lyman. Yup, there were helpful as fenceposts. I was told "Well, that's just the cutter we used and isn't of any importance to the consumer." I've never seen the letters stamped after the numbers like this (but I'm new to casting). I did find out that the letter "U" meant undersized as one to stay away from. I was asking if the letter had any impact on the diameter the bullet would cast to and was told, "Well, you'll just have to cast some bullets and find out."

About as helpful as the time I bought 6 Lyman front sights and half had the 1/16" bead off center on the post. I was told to "Send them in and if they are still in spec we won't warranty them, but if they are out we will." When I told the guy they were obviously out of round and off the post center he told me that they weren't perfect everytime but were often within tolerances. So, I put those up on a shelf and ordered Williams front sights. Solved the problem! Pefect beads centered on the post. Novel concept for a front sight, eh?

felix
10-01-2008, 01:11 PM
Cherry manufacturer (B) and their Sequence (M). Worn out cherry? Who knows. Important thing is how the mold works well and how the boolit shoots, with utmost importance on the latter. ... felix

floodgate
10-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Felix:

Other way 'round. Second cherry (A, B,...) for that bullet, made for Lyman by outside supplier "M".

Floodgate

felix
10-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Ok, corrected. Dyslexia is my new middle name. Thanks, Doug. ... felix

p.s. Bass Ackwards is already taken!!!