PDA

View Full Version : Be careful boys and girls

Eamonn
11-04-2018, 12:57 PM
So about a month ago this happened:

I was shooting a low powered (10J / 7.5 ft-lb) and a pellet ricocheted right back at me.
I can still see but there is probably permanent damage causing enough astigmatism that it can't be corrected with glasses unless corrective surgery will be possible.
The doctors said that the wound was 1/10th of a milimeter from penetrating into the eye.

So word to the wise kind of thing.
Be careful, especially with kids. Even "toys" can do severe damage.

LUCKYDAWG13
11-04-2018, 01:16 PM
I didn't read your full post and had a smart *** comment about shooting your Eye out Glad your ok and hope you get your full vision back

bayjoe
11-04-2018, 01:23 PM
You were really lucky it wasn't worse!!

JSnover
11-04-2018, 01:28 PM
Eye protection. Always. Glad you had yours on.

Eamonn
11-04-2018, 01:39 PM
Thanks, a week later and I would have gone through laser surgery to correct my eyesight and wouldn't have worn anything.
Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket ;-)

Edit: And invest in some proper shooting glasses.

Dieselhorses
11-04-2018, 01:53 PM
It's amazing on how much we take for granted. We only have one pair of eyeballs. I teach carpentry in a big shop and cannot stress enough about safety glasses and other PPE. But yes, glad you're ok.

Eamonn
11-04-2018, 01:58 PM
The funny thing is that I keep reminding some of my collegues to use proper hearing- and eye protection when using angle grinders, wire brushes and the like at work.

bdicki
11-04-2018, 02:37 PM
My corrective lenses are all safety glasses.

JimB..
11-04-2018, 02:41 PM
My corrective lenses are all safety glasses.

I thought that all corrective lenses in the US met the same standard as safety glasses, guess not, and good to know!

Safety glasses and earmuffs are cheap, I have them scattered about the shop.

skeettx
11-04-2018, 02:44 PM
Are those glass lenses?
Most of the ones here are now plastic?
Someone correct me please?
Mike

bdicki
11-04-2018, 02:59 PM
I thought that all corrective lenses in the US met the same standard as safety glasses, guess not, and good to know!

The safety glass lenses have V+MV stamped (melted) in the corner.

Eamonn
11-04-2018, 03:04 PM
Are those glass lenses?
Most of the ones here are now plastic?
Someone correct me please?
Mike

They are plastic but not safety class.
I haven't seen actual glass lenses and no safety classed regular corrective glasses.

JSnover
11-04-2018, 03:09 PM

I believe there are two different specs. Normal corrective lenses are supposed to be shatter-resistant but actual safety glasses are made to a higher level of impact resistance.
I bought my last prescription lenses at the same shop and had them make both my safety glasses and my everyday glasses to the same impact spec (Z 87 if I recall).

shooter93
11-04-2018, 08:32 PM
I am absolutely terrible about wearing glasses in the shop and I of all people should know better. I have been doing this for over 50 years. I have such a problem with them attracting dust so fast I can't see which is about as bad as not wearing them. It seems no matter what kind I buy it's a real problem. I would think there is a GOOD brand out there but I don't know which one it is. I better start a thread to get recommendations.

MaryB
11-04-2018, 10:02 PM
I always specify safety lenses when I get new glasses made. I play with enough shop tools and shoot enough that it is a must... plus they don't scratch as easily!

Dieselhorses
11-04-2018, 10:46 PM
People have been known to clean their window blinds with "Lemon pledge" or anything else with lemon oil in it to discourage dust from sticking to them. I wonder if this would have the same effect on safety glasses or would it just smudge em up?

fatelk
11-04-2018, 11:28 PM
Thank you for posting. I hope your eye heals well. It's a good reminder to always wear safety glasses.

I'm bad about it too. I wear them always at work, and usually when working in the shop, but rarely at the range. The temples interfere with the seal of my earmuffs, and they always seem to fog up in cold weather. I realize now that I really need to find remedies for those issues and start wearing safety glasses at all times.

CLAYPOOL
11-04-2018, 11:42 PM
I just had cataract Surgery done and bought several different "Shooting" glasses to try out. I am going to do better with the second run on my eyes. Things seem MUCH brighter and clean KIDS...Hate those blankly - blank drops to put in...

Mr_Sheesh
11-05-2018, 03:24 AM
I can have goggles fog over on me; If you take a small computer fan (say 1" square) that's set up for 12V operation, and run it at 9V, to pull the hot air up through the top of your goggles it will SOLVE that problem (Same for ski goggles or the like.)

Don't set it up to blow air down into the goggles though - That way you get the first mosquito to come around "blenderized" and thrown into your eyes, or hair yanked into the fan.

And DEFINITELY wear 'em. (The fan helps so I can see through them :))

Stephen Cohen
11-05-2018, 05:49 AM
I remember some 35yrs ago I was president of my local pistol club and voted against mandatory eye protection, I was defeated and later that day a friend was pulling down his 1911 when another friend gave him a set of safety glasses and said wear these while on the range, not a minute later the guy pulling down the 1011 was hit in the eye by the spring and guide rod but the safety glasses while scratched did save him from eye damage. I have never set foot on a range again without safety glasses and now that I wear corrective glasses I still wear safety glasses. We should all realise how special our eyesight is and take all precautions. Regards Stephen

Swede 45
11-05-2018, 05:56 AM
I have a small chip of the bone in my lower part of the eyesocket missing and a small scar under my right eyeball. Caused by a ricocheting 22lr when I was 12yr old. The doc pulled the bullet and the bone fragment out. Bullet was stuck visible just under the skin. Prescription glasses saved me then.. Slowed the ricochet down just enough to stop deeper penetration.
The doctor said I was the luckiest kid he'd seen so far..

beemer
11-05-2018, 09:39 AM
I worked in the machine room in a furniture factory for 47 years, I have seen eyes ruined because someone was to hard headed to wear safety glasses. Also looked for fingers in the dust bin, safety first is not a joke.

Bazoo
11-05-2018, 12:11 PM
Glad you're not blinded! I wear spectacles. Large ones. I've been wearing them since I was about 12 or so, and they've saved my eyes a couple times. Always getting into piddling with things, i've had springs and such occasionally fly up and hit my glasses. I once was nailing a new board to the top of my mailbox post, as an adult mind you, and I started the nail and went to give it a good whack when it bounced out and hit my spectacles. I thanked God that I wear glasses right then. I've often thanked God for my vision, and my hands/fingers, and the fact that I wear glasses.

Silvercreek Farmer
11-05-2018, 08:58 PM
Glad is wasn't worse! What was your target and how far?

Down South
11-05-2018, 10:48 PM

No, most prescription eye wear is not safety glasses, although I see people shooting with regular prescription eye wear often. Most shooting ranges allow it as long as you have glasses on.
It's not best practice but does offer some protection.

Eamonn
11-06-2018, 01:32 PM
Thanks all.
I was shooting at a paper target against a concrete garage wall that deformed the pellets causing them to fall to the floor robbed of energy.
One of them hit a plastic oil/small parts trough and bounced right back.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Eamonn
11-06-2018, 01:37 PM
Distance was about 20-25 foot.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk