PDA

View Full Version : Meat!

Silvercreek Farmer
11-03-2018, 09:21 PM
Picked up a CVA Wolf back in September because I had trouble seeing the sights on my old cap lock at dusk. Put a Burris Fullfield II on it and settled on a load of 80 grains of Blackhorn 209, Hornady Sabot, and a Ranchdog .432 270 grain boolit cast from ACCOWW. Estimated velocity is around 1750 fps. I was able to manage 2 MOA in practice and it may be a touch better.

This fellow snuck up beside me at 15 yards. I was standing for a stretch break when he popped his head around a tree. Not wanting to spook him I stayed standing and took the shot offhand. He was quartering towards me and I had a ton of down angle. Hit him solid and he ran 50 yards or so and went down. Upon butchering, I had managed to hit his heart despite the high angles. The Ranchdog blew it in half!

This was my first big bore deer. To date, all of my deer have been with the 30-06 with cast at 1800 fps. The shot did result in a bloodshot shoulder and rib meat. A bit more than I would have preferred (I understand it was close range!). I backtracked a bit just wanting to see the blood trail, thinking it should be profuse, but found none. My theory is that the heart was too damaged to pump any blood out.

Got him put up and went back out, hoping for another. Spotted a nice buck, perhaps an 8 point, but he was too far out and a behind a field fence. Saw 5 does on the way out after dark. Hopefully that bodes well for this year's meat season!

richhodg66
11-03-2018, 09:28 PM
Congrats! I like hunting with muzzle loaders, even inlines. Good luck with the rest of the season.

skeettx
11-03-2018, 09:37 PM
Great eating
Well done
Thank you for sharing

Chad5005
11-03-2018, 09:44 PM
congrats on the meat and the first kill with your muzzleloader

falmike
11-03-2018, 09:56 PM
Well done Sir