PDA

View Full Version : I think even Satellite TV knows I'm 65

Down South
11-03-2018, 10:57 AM
It seems even satellite TV knows I'm 65 now. Just about every commercial I see is for Medicare Supplements, hearing aids, Catheters, Cancer, etc. It all seems to be geared for us older guys.
Even my mail is ridiculous with junk mail.

Tom W.
11-03-2018, 11:19 AM
Don't forget about the smiling guy that will give ALL of your life insurance money back if you are alive at the end of term. I know he mentions it seven times.....

marlin39a
11-03-2018, 11:48 AM
How I hated commercials when I had Dish Network. It was costing me $112.00 a month, as I had to buy the most expensive package to get Turner Classic Movies. Everything else was trash. I cut the cord, and watch DVDs, and get some local channels free with an antenna.

bob208
11-03-2018, 11:57 AM
yes we cut the cable 10 years ago. don't miss it one bit.

Springfield
11-03-2018, 12:08 PM
All the commercials will disappear after the Medicare enrollment period is over, or at least most of them. I get the same commercials with antennae, also.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-03-2018, 12:18 PM
young people watch youtube or other online providers, to get their "TV" shows on their phone..I bet the commercials they see are for video games and skate boards, LOL.

Don Purcell
11-03-2018, 12:38 PM
"There is nothing wrong with your television. We are in complete control, we control the horizontal, the vertical..."

dragon813gt
11-03-2018, 12:40 PM
young people watch youtube or other online providers, to get their "TV" shows on their phone..I bet the commercials they see are for video games and skate boards, LOL.

They’re not. I have to watch the same Medicare commercials on SlingTV. The one thing I do like is that quite often you get a screen displaying the channel logo and message underneath that says “commercial break”. They even play some catchy lounge type music. This is preferable to annoying commercials. YouTube has targeted ads depending on what channel you’re watching. And most of the paid streaming services are commercial free.

Tom W.
11-03-2018, 07:37 PM
It gives me a chance to get to the restroom.

RED BEAR
11-03-2018, 09:51 PM
marlin39a try your local library ours has movies as soon as they are released on blue ray or dvd and they are free. just go on line and reserve them and they will contact you when available.

Hickory
11-03-2018, 10:12 PM
No TV for me since 1981.
I do not feel deprived or brainwashed!!!

KenH
11-03-2018, 10:18 PM
Your email is pushing medicare? My email has been pushing funeral insurance

Land Owner
11-04-2018, 03:39 AM
Congratulations on achieving a new classification! You are now designated a "Senior Citizen"!

I don't feel any different, but reached that class only 5 days ago. The possibility of "every day is a holiday" isn't far now. We EARNED the designation by right of survivorship.

While I believe those ads were there all along, I also believe we are viewing them from a brand new perspective. I only receive airwave TV so the ads are not targeting me, of which I am aware.

I get a kick out of the catheter ad and the pilot. He shows us the Mfg's packaged catheter and later in the ad, sticking out of the bottom, the plane's antenna could double as the catheter!

toallmy
11-04-2018, 07:29 AM
Netflix for me - I can't stand commercials , my wife still watches history channel , science channel , and Nat geo so there goes a hundred a month to pay for the privilege of watching commercials .

Down South
11-04-2018, 09:18 AM
Congratulations on achieving a new classification! The possibility of "every day is a holiday" isn't far now. We EARNED the designation by right of survivorship.

I reached the status of everyday is Saturday at the end of September.

farmerjim
11-04-2018, 11:40 AM
I reached the status of everyday is Saturday at the end of September.

The day I retired every day became Monday.

Markopolo
11-04-2018, 11:55 AM
+1 for Netflix... no commercials and 10bucks a month.. I also use Pureflix. A bit more uplifting type tv..

bob208
11-05-2018, 09:48 AM
there are even nra adds on you tube. political adds too. trump is on you tube more then regular tv.