PDA

View Full Version : Shockwave

Omega
11-02-2018, 10:29 PM
A nice video showing the shockwave produced by rifle rounds in super and sub sonic. And a good demonstration of the pistol blast just in front of the cylinder.

https://youtu.be/BPwdlEgLn5Q

osteodoc08
11-02-2018, 10:42 PM
That was pretty
Awesome. It reminds me of the cover on the speer (?) loading manuals from years back.

Oily
11-02-2018, 11:17 PM
Cool, thanks for sharing! The revolver vid should reinforce why you should always wear eye protection when firing a high pressure revolver cartridge. Interesting to see the muzzle blast come back and overtake the cylinder gap blast and keep coming rearward towards the shooter. Be interesting to see the difference between spitzer bullets and a flat nose cast boolit going 1300 fps to 2000 fps like we shoot. The trail behind the bullets in vid looked pretty uniform and consistent with spitzers. Don't know what you call the trail behind the bullet in the vids, cavitation is in a liquid so maybe vapor trail? Enlighten me.

Omega
11-02-2018, 11:27 PM
Cool, thanks for sharing! The revolver vid should reinforce why you should always wear eye protection when firing a high pressure revolver cartridge. Interesting to see the muzzle blast come back and overtake the cylinder gap blast and keep coming rearward towards the shooter. Be interesting to see the difference between spitzer bullets and a flat nose cast boolit going 1300 fps to 2000 fps like we shoot. The trail behind the bullets in vid looked pretty uniform and consistent with spitzers. Don't know what you call the trail behind the bullet in the vids, cavitation is in a liquid so maybe vapor trail? Enlighten me.

I've heard it called bullet trace, sort of looks like jet contrails but with air not vapor.

RU shooter
11-03-2018, 09:51 AM
Was interesting how unstable that 300 BO sub bullet looked

Hossfly
11-03-2018, 10:20 AM
That was really neat to watch, that photography was exceptional. I remember watching things with a strobe light flashing at different speeds back in the day. Really cool when you can slow down objects and can do evaluations like that, thanks for that video.

Echo
11-05-2018, 04:30 PM
Wow. Dang good - thanks for sharing.