PDA

View Full Version : .31 Remington

Thumbcocker
11-01-2018, 02:17 PM
I am fascinated by the Pietta reproductions of these cute little suckers. Do they have any value or use other than converting powder and ball into noise? At they accurate enough to hit anything at 15-25 yards?

georgerkahn
11-01-2018, 02:35 PM
Midway has these listed, and is present229703ly out of stock. Their description indicates a 3.75" barrel, in a nickel-plated brass frame, having a total weight of one-half pound. I concur that they surely are pleasing to the eye. The whole arena of the shooting sports is such to, imho, provide no real answer to your "conversion" querey. This is definitely NOT a target pistol! However, with a decent three and three-quarter inch barrel, good, uniform bullets, and judicious loading -- it does not seem an impossibility to attain targets as you desire. For the asking price of this firearm, I'd think it to be a worthwhile investment. (But, to the disdain of my wife, I view all firearms as such :) )!
BEST!
geo

Thumbcocker
11-01-2018, 03:33 PM
I would go with an all steel one.

Texas by God
11-01-2018, 03:38 PM
Every cap and ball revolver I have ever shot was very accurate to 25 yards. Point of impact is usually quite High, though. That little Remington ought to be a hoot!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

kaiser
11-02-2018, 12:19 AM
They are a "hoot"; I have one in brass (I couldn't find one in steel). I wouldn't count on 25 yards for any kind of accuracy, but 15 yards is "doable". It shoots a 00 buck shot with about 5 to 12 grans of fffg. Mine is the most accurate with about 7gr. which runs about 550fps and close to POA with a "course bead".

Mk42gunner
11-02-2018, 12:09 PM
Don't know about the Remington copies, but my little Colt Wells Fargo model is plenty accurate for rabbits or trapped animals within fifteen yards. I bought a five pound box of Hornady single O buckshot and I believe I have a lifetime supply of projectiles, considering that mine has no loading lever. First (and last) cap & ball revolver I ever bought without a loading lever.

Memory says I was using a nine or ten grain charge with mine.

Robert

Bent Ramrod
11-02-2018, 09:15 PM
I have a blued one. They are tiny, almost as small as one of those NAF mini-revolvers. A Colt.31 “pocket revolver” is large by comparison.

Haven’t shot it in a while. It shot low, as I recall, and the accuracy range was feet rather than yards. I also had to get a new loading lever as the one I had broke at the lever screw hole when I was seating balls in the somewhat fouled chambers. I made a separate loading stand for it and the new lever is just for looks now.