PDA

View Full Version : Looking for another 45acp. CZ 97BD or P220?

marek313
10-31-2018, 11:37 AM
I want to add another full size 45acp to my collection. I have FNX45 which I like but I feel like a need another one..... and another one ... you know how that goes :guntootsmiley:

I compared both Sig P220 and CZ97BD at my LGS and so far I think I like CZ97 better. Both cost the same so no incentive there either way.

I know what many of you are going to say and yes I considered 1911 ( I have RIA 1911 in 10mm which I like too) but i dont find it especially comfortable and i'm one of those anti grip safety guys so thats another thing. Yes 1911s have better trigger I get that but there is something about that CZ. Very tight gun with great finish and from my understanding it is very accurate. I have two friends that are CZ fans and one has 97B and he loves his too.

Decisions , decisions [smilie=b:

am44mag
10-31-2018, 07:21 PM
Sounds like you've already made up your mind. ;)

Go for it.

dragon813gt
10-31-2018, 07:35 PM
Buy the CZ, send it off to Cajun Gun Works for their Enhanced package and live life happy. If you haven’t shot a gun they’ve worked over you’re missing out. CZ Custom does great work as well.

RU shooter
10-31-2018, 08:22 PM
Always liked the Sig 220 just felt right in my hand . And another option that's ultra reliable and built like a tank and as accurate is a used Ruger P90 or P345

tazman
10-31-2018, 08:35 PM
I don't know if you have something against dtriker fired pistols or not. I did right up until I met a Springfield XDM full size 45acp.
I simply could not believe how well this pistol shoots. I have a full size 5 inch barrelled version. 13 rounds +1 capacity.
Springfield has a video of one of their XDM 10mm pistols going through an endurance test. Over the course of 2 days, they fired 10,000 rounds of ammo through the pistol with no failures. Every shot was recorded on video. They had three men taking turns shooting the pistol.
They cleaned the gun about every 3000 rounds. They allowed the gun to cool off every so often. They replaced the recoil spring once or twice during the test. After they finished, you could hardly tell they shot it from it's condition.
If one of these will take 10,000 rounds of 10mm, it should take 45acp forever.
I am in the process of getting another one in 9mm. mag capacity is 19+1. Springfield currently has a "gear up" program going on where they will send you 3 mags and a small range bag for free if you buy one between now and the end of the year.
The only downside I see for you is it has a grip safety. Not a problem for me.

osteodoc08
10-31-2018, 11:08 PM
The CZ is a good one. If wanting hammer fired also consider the P227, the older Smith autos, and don’t forget the P220 can be had in Single action as well.

marek313
11-01-2018, 12:28 AM
Buy the CZ, send it off to Cajun Gun Works for their Enhanced package and live life happy. If you haven’t shot a gun they’ve worked over you’re missing out. CZ Custom does great work as well.

I'm very familiar with Cajun Gun Works. I have two friends that are big CZ fans and pretty much every one of those has cajun enhanced package. I think my friend with his CZ97B spent around $800 just for Cajun work but that also included things like rail on the bottom because he wanted a light on it. Cajun triggers are terrific no doubt about that but expensive too.

I'm actually a big fan of Sig and I was even thinking about getting another p320 in 45acp but I really wanted steel or at least alloy frame not polymer like my FNX45. I really was going to go for the P220 or p227 but then I handled that CZ97B and now I cant get it out of my head lol.

I shot XDMs and they are OK but for some reason I was never a fan of the grip safety. They are great guns but I dont think its on the same level as CZ97B which is really nice.Steel frame with full slide support kind of reminds me of P210 little bit which is a super nice gun too. When I played with it that gun felt tighter then 18 year virgin.

Do you want to guess which way I'm leaning now :drinks:

kmw1954
11-01-2018, 12:40 AM
marek313 I have a 45acp Large metal frame Witness and it is one of my favorites. Not a lot of difference between them, actually I'm now looking for a 45acp Witness Compact.

Ed_Shot
11-01-2018, 09:43 AM
+1 for Cajun Gun Works Enhanced 97B.

LUBEDUDE
11-02-2018, 11:58 AM
I had a CZ 97B when they came out 20 + years (?) ago.

It was so long ago that I don’t remember why I was disappointed in it and got rid of it. I’m one of those guys that rarely sells a gun, so obviously it just wasn’t right for ME. Maybe because I am a 1911 guy and few guns compare. Even though I have a passel of Sigs, 2 being 220s in 45, they just don’t excite me like a 1911.

Groo
11-02-2018, 12:48 PM
Groo here
If you have no problem with a glock style trigger[with the safety bar in it] you should be fine with a grip safty.
you could put a rubber band or grip sleeve on it and the safety is gone and covered with no serious mods.
I never found a problem shooting a grip safety UNTIL some teacher tried to get me to shoot thumbs up.[ a most stupid idea if you shoot more than one type of gun]
I quit that and never had a problem since.
I also have an XDM ,but a 5.25 45acp.
I may change the trigger , but the stock one will out shoot me much of the time.
Much better than "Block"

ppswed
11-03-2018, 06:35 AM
If you're not afraid to test something that's not mainstream then you might wanna take a look at the Grand Power P45L. I have one of their 9mm's which is very nice

nun2kute
11-03-2018, 11:23 PM
Sig Sauer 1911, better than Glock any day of the week, and twice on Sunday !

Tackleberry41
11-04-2018, 09:50 AM
Guess I am partial to CZ over other brands.

Petrol & Powder
11-04-2018, 05:47 PM
Tackleberry41 - It sounds like you're really leaning towards that CZ. My experience with the CZ 75 was extremely positive and I see no reason the CZ97 would be any different. I haven't owned a CZ chambered in 45 ACP but in my experience their 9mm guns are very well made.

I have owed a few SIG P220's and they are excellent pistols as well. I haven't looked at the numbers but I suspect the SIG will be lighter than the CZ.

S&W makes great revolvers but there's only a couple of S&W semi-pistols that I like. On that short list of pistols is the old S&W 645.
S&W only made that model for a few years in the mid to late 1980's but every one I've shot was a tack driver.

tazman
11-04-2018, 06:08 PM
Sig Sauer 1911, better than Glock any day of the week, and twice on Sunday !

I can attest to the Sig 1911 pistols being good guns. I own two of them in 45acp.
I normally look to Springfield Armory for my 1911 guns but these really work well. Bot reliable and accurate.

marek313
11-04-2018, 08:00 PM
I ended up getting CZ97BD. Last one they had. After I got it home and broke it down and cleaned it I'm very impressed with guality of work and finish. I took it out today and it feels great with soft recoil. Accurate I just need to fix that trigger little bit and it will be amazing for sure. Feels better then my FNX45 and i think with a trigger job it will give 1911s close competition. If you have large hands I think CZ feels better. I'm just going keep all 3 why the hell not right

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

tazman
11-04-2018, 08:55 PM
I just read your post about your range trip. It sounds like your gun is doing a lot better than the other guy's.