PDA

View Full Version : New maker Rossi '92

mazo kid
10-30-2018, 02:47 PM
I have a new Rossi '92 coming and want to know if someone knows whether it will have a plastic or metal follower. I believe the guns are now made by CBC in Brazil.

CraigOK
10-30-2018, 04:47 PM
Sorry nothing helpful to add, but I do hope they turn out a few more. They're hard to find

Tackleberry41
10-30-2018, 05:30 PM
Cant see them putting anything but the plastic ones in guns. It was easy enough to make one on the lathe.

mazo kid
10-30-2018, 05:52 PM
Yep, they were unobtanium for quite a while. They are now showing up in quantity. I do plan on making a brass follower if it does have a plastic one. I have two other early ones with the brass followers. This one is in 38/357 caliber; have been wanting one for a LONG time!

pietro
10-30-2018, 05:59 PM

I also made my follower out of brass.

https://i.imgur.com/ZNeEOI6l.jpg

mazo kid
10-30-2018, 09:20 PM
Nice looking follower! It might not make any difference in function, but it just isn't right, in my opinion, for a gun to have a plastic part.

TCLouis
10-30-2018, 09:38 PM
I was unhappy when I looked in and saw a plastic follower in my 357.
Who woulda ever thunk it???
I would not even have had an issue with stamped metal follower.

BUT

Plastic?

Bought a SS follower from a guy in the NE US.

I would have preferred a faster twist too, would never have bought it if I knew it was 1:30.

Unlike others, so far I have not been able to get any accuracy out of the heavier boolits . . .180 LAR45 or RD for instance.
I will see what some load suggestions do for that.

OH . . . AND

Getting a tang sight and ditching that buckhorn that it is shipped with.
I could NEVER get a good sight picture with it for some reason

jmort
10-30-2018, 11:39 PM
Just buy a metal from Steve. The plastic ones work fine. I did swap both of mine out for metal. As for the twist, you can get to arount 170 grains. That will work.

Handloader109
10-31-2018, 08:55 PM
Yep, new guns have dang yellow plastic. I found a brass plug that I turned down on my small wood lathe with a file. Yep I’m cheap, about 2 bucks, and 30 min of free time. Looks better.

Been shooting 38special loads with 148gr swc over 3.5gr bullseye. More accurate than I am at 50 yds.

mazo kid
11-01-2018, 03:58 PM
I got the gun late yesterday. Was happy with appearance, but may hand-rub a new finish on sometime in the future. First impressions.....action was surprisingly smooth right out of the box. Trigger pull an entirely different animal. Wow, it is STIFF!, even with the hammer pulled back. Will definitely work on that! Oh, and I thought the new guns didn't have that little "safety" on top of the bolt, not true.

Gray Fox
11-01-2018, 04:15 PM
Is your new one tapped for a scout scope mount under the rear sight? GF

Handloader109
11-01-2018, 04:55 PM
YES, they are tapped under the sight. Finish is a matt, and I didn't think the trigger pull on mine was bad at all. YES, they have that stupid safety. I find myself using it just because it says safe and fire.
I really should remove it and laser off the safe and fire. Make a few squiggles over the words to eradicate them. Just don't seem right on the lever gun. Oh, supposedly only 20" in 44 and 357 are coming in right now. Blued and Stainless. I haven't seen any Blued for sale, only a few stainless. But one of my distributors has all 4 models allocated, so some will be here at some time. Darn slow boats.

northmn
11-02-2018, 04:33 PM
They are also famous for throwing the brass in the next county like mine does. Front sight was too short on mine also and I had to file down the rear sight. D&T it for a Williams Receiver sight and that worked even better.

DEP

mazo kid
11-03-2018, 03:02 PM
I held the hammer back and worked the trigger several (MANY!) times and it really did get much better. I think with a shim under the spring and some use it will be good to go.

fecmech
11-03-2018, 03:04 PM
They are also famous for throwing the brass in the next county like mine does.
Simple fix for that. Go to Ace Hardware and get a spring of the same size as the ejector spring but half the wire diameter. The empties will drop about 2-3 ft to your right. It will also make the action feel much smoother.

mazo kid
11-03-2018, 06:59 PM
YES, they are tapped under the sight. Finish is a matte,
My rifle has a smooth polished finish, and the wood is almost like a light walnut. Those of you that have cut the magazine spring.....how much did you take off? The reduced power ejector spring will be a winter project.

Handloader109
11-03-2018, 07:04 PM
I haven't cut either, but ejector spring isnt hard to get out. Just few minutes. I like idea of replacing, most say cut a couple of coils and try, repeat to sneak up on your desired tension.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Handloader109
11-03-2018, 07:07 PM
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/field_strip.htm

Good instructions for the 92..

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DerekP Houston
11-03-2018, 09:27 PM
Mine was new ~5 years ago and came with the plastic part, I doubt they have gone back to metal. I purchased my replacement and dvd from stevegunz

Ranch Dog
11-04-2018, 03:42 PM
CBC is just one in the same under the blanket of Forjas Taurus SA

My choice of aftermarket springs and followers for the Rossi is the Smith Shop (http://www.thesmithshop.com/magfollow.html).

Gray Fox
11-04-2018, 04:33 PM
RD: The link to the Smith Shop is much appreciated. GF

Buckshot
11-06-2018, 03:30 AM
...............I also made one out of steel for my Rossi. I doubt the plastic one would have been an issue, it just rattled my sensibilities :-)

http://www.fototime.com/126904E05992A38/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/C30347487543D4A/standard.jpg

After the new one was all finished and polished I heat blued it. Poor photo tho'.

I did some other 'Dinking around' with it.

http://www.fototime.com/219630625C79467/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/5F7D681A0D25094/standard.jpg

I refinished the wood, which didn't require much work and it turned out much nicer. I also replaced the factory rear sight. Once again just to please myself.

http://www.fototime.com/38B2FDAE04BEE1B/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/5985ED0F8F32566/standard.jpg

I also 'remodeled' the front band. Previously it was much too thick around the stock and over the barrel without any real definition to it. By thinning down the radius all the way around the circumference, and especially over the barrel, I was able to create that step or ledge on both sides. There was still too much 'Air' between the forend and the band. I cut through the band on the underside and by "File & Try" I got it down to where the band fit the forend very nicely when pinched together.

At that point I MiG welded it back together. Some small filing and then polishing had it looking MUCH more likeable :-)

...............Buckshot

Speedo66
11-06-2018, 03:21 PM
Here's a thread on how I made a follower out of two empty cases, a .40 and a .44 mag. Pretty simple, and it's still working perfectly.

https://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3738&p=41351&hilit=magazine+follower#p41351

All you need to know about Rossi's on that site, www.rossi-rifleman.com

As far as the hardware ejector spring, I used a Century C-530, available in most stores. No changes needed, just pop it in and empty cases land at your feet. It also seemed to me to lessen the effort to cock the gun.

Another gripe about Rossi's is the sharpness at the edges of the loading gate. If the new maker hasn't addressed that, I found the top end of a drill bit rubbed on the sharp parts peened the sharp edges off pretty well.

Edit: I guess the proper term is burnished, not peened.

Texas by God
11-06-2018, 11:29 PM
Buckshot, did you "mare's leg" that buttstock or is it my Eyes??

mazo kid
11-07-2018, 04:29 PM
Some good tips here. I did make a brass follower and it is functioning fine. I also worked the lever 30-40 times, cleaned the action and lubed all the sliding/friction points. The action now works with one finger to operate it. This without ever dis-assembling the rifle.

Buckshot
11-07-2018, 11:37 PM
Buckshot, did you "mare's leg" that buttstock or is it my Eyes??

Nope, sorry Tex. It's yore aaahs. :-)

.............Buckshot

FergusonTO35
11-08-2018, 07:56 PM
CBC is just one in the same under the blanket of Forjas Taurus SA

My choice of aftermarket springs and followers for the Rossi is the Smith Shop (http://www.thesmithshop.com/magfollow.html).

Wassup, Ranch Dog! I still use your load data quite a bit.

JoeJames
11-12-2018, 12:16 PM
I got the gun late yesterday. Was happy with appearance, but may hand-rub a new finish on sometime in the future. First impressions.....action was surprisingly smooth right out of the box. Trigger pull an entirely different animal. Wow, it is STIFF!, even with the hammer pulled back. Will definitely work on that! Oh, and I thought the new guns didn't have that little "safety" on top of the bolt, not true.I got mine on Nov. 3. Trigger was 6.2 pounds by my gauge. Worked it some, and dropped in two drops of Rem. oil with hammer cocked. Now it is down to 5.2 pounds. Still pretty heavy, but I was surprised that a couple of drops of oil would help that much. Appears it is shipped kind of dry from the factory.

firebyprolong
11-12-2018, 02:26 PM
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receiver-hardware/springs/rossi-92-spring-kit-prod74989.aspx

I'm pretty sure this was the spring kit I put in mine when i slicked up my 44. This with the addition a little polish on working surfaces improved mine dramatically. The biggest help was the ejector spring, once I installed it, that action smoothed right out. Dropped cases in a neat little pile about two foot away afterwards as well.

Potsy
11-12-2018, 02:53 PM
Anyone have a good link for dealers/distributors on these.
I wanted either a 16" .45 Colt or .454. Preferably stainless, but could live with blued.
Any ideas on twist rates in those calibers?
Will they feed 270SAA's without issue?
Been wanting one, then they became tough to find and everyone was showing out of stock.

I need to buy a .45 for my 45th before I turn 46.

Ranch Dog
11-12-2018, 05:15 PM
Wassup, Ranch Dog! I still use your load data quite a bit.
Good to hear, I'm still kicking!

Ranch Dog
11-12-2018, 05:31 PM
Anyone have a good link for dealers/distributors on these.
I wanted either a 16" .45 Colt or .454. Preferably stainless, but could live with blued.
Any ideas on twist rates in those calibers?
Will they feed 270SAA's without issue?
Been wanting one, then they became tough to find and everyone was showing out of stock.

I need to buy a .45 for my 45th before I turn 46.
You will need to start searching the internet. No 45 Colts were made in 2018, and 454 Casull production ended in 2014. Only a few 357 Mags (#923572093) have been brought in this year. Supposedly, 44 Mags (#920442093) was going to be imported, but I don't think I've seen any. The part numbers changed for 2018; if they are not the numbers listed, they are new, old stock.

I doubt you will see any more new rifles this year as typically, Rossi is done with current year by now. The next year imports don't start until after the gun show. It will be interesting to see what the distributors purchase as most retailers think Rossi is defunct. Supposedly, the levergun plant is being relocated, and hopefully, they will get rifles flowing. Distributors that committed funds to 2018 orders might be slow to consider in '19. Rossi did not meet the need.

Rossi put all their eggs in a $125 22 rimfire rifle basket; who does that? The way they stacked up gunbroker, I'm sure distributors won't make that mistake again.

Potsy
11-12-2018, 06:48 PM
Yeah that doesn't sound good.
May wind up with a Henry.

I thought the Rossi's felt lighter and more "svelte" though.

Thanks for the info RD!!

Texas by God
11-12-2018, 07:32 PM
I like it for sure Buckshot. Ah do.

JoeJames
11-13-2018, 10:41 AM
Yeah that doesn't sound good.
May wind up with a Henry.

I thought the Rossi's felt lighter and more "svelte" though.

Thanks for the info RD!!Had a Henry Brass Big Boy; it was just too heavy for a pistol caliber lever gun ... 2.68 pounds heavier than the Rossi. I traded the Henry for a Rossi R92, and love how much lighter and handier it is.

Groo
11-21-2018, 04:48 PM
I was unhappy when I looked in and saw a plastic follower in my 357.
Who woulda ever thunk it???
I would not even have had an issue with stamped metal follower.

BUT

Plastic?

Bought a SS follower from a guy in the NE US.

I would have preferred a faster twist too, would never have bought it if I knew it was 1:30.

Unlike others, so far I have not been able to get any accuracy out of the heavier boolits . . .180 LAR45 or RD for instance.
I will see what some load suggestions do for that.

OH . . . AND

Getting a tang sight and ditching that buckhorn that it is shipped with.
I could NEVER get a good sight picture with it for some reason

Groo here
To shoot heavy [300+gr] bullets will require full power loads to get the RPM,s up.
If a ruger redhawk [1/20 twist] will shoot 300 gr bullets well at 1000fps, the rossi [1/30 twist] will need about 1500 fps to get the same RPM.