PDA

View Full Version : Lead Temperature Probe

nvreloader
10-30-2018, 11:41 AM
Guys
I have a multi meter that will read temperatures to 1825*, + or - 2%, and this is the lead probe that will fit my multi meter,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-K-Type-Thermocouple-Probe-Digital-Thermometer-Sensor-1832F-large/311180354520

Would this set up work OK for a temporary setup, for checking the melting temps the lead?

Thoughts or suggestions.......

Tia,
Don

redhawk0
10-30-2018, 12:08 PM
I believe it would work fine if your meter is already set up for Temperatures.

My meter is not and I had to purchase a separate Thermal converter box like this one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluke-80TK-THERMOCOUPLE-MODULE-TESTER-CONVERTER-ADAPTER-FOR-DIGITAL-MULTIMETER/261364926039

Looks like you should be all set though.

redhawk

Carrier
10-30-2018, 01:40 PM
I not sure why you would want a probe that long as a 4 or 6 inch would fit better. But yes it looks like it would take the heat.

Mike W1
10-30-2018, 05:25 PM
Should work but I'd also suggest a 4-6" probe and the braided wire with insulation lead on it. That one in your URL looked like it's flexible and I don't see that as an advantage. I use my VOM quite a bit and it seems to read about the same as my PID units do. Also you can find something on ebay quite a lot less expensive than that one is.

Hossfly
10-30-2018, 05:47 PM
Yes it will work, just the tip of the thermocouple will be needed to check the temp.

Carrier
10-30-2018, 06:10 PM
Should work but I'd also suggest a 4-6" probe and the braided wire with insulation lead on it. That one in your URL looked like it's flexible and I don't see that as an advantage. I use my VOM quite a bit and it seems to read about the same as my PID units do. Also you can find something on ebay quite a lot less expensive than that one is.

If you scroll down that add it states that the probe will be shipped bent and can be straightened.

Mike W1
10-30-2018, 09:29 PM
If you scroll down that add it states that the probe will be shipped bent and can be straightened.

I missed that part when I glanced at it. Still don't like the insulation on the cable part though.

nvreloader
10-30-2018, 10:51 PM
Guys

This pot will have around 6-7" of lead in it when filled.

I wanted a longer probe, so I can check the temp around the bottom valve area,
plus I am heat sensitive on my hands, so I figured slightly longer was better than shorter, for me.

I am hoping, I can keep the pot heat around 600-650*, as I was just given some processed lead, believed to be ww,
per the giver, "I melted ww's in a big pot until every thing was melted, then made these muffin ingots"......
he is NOT a shooter/reloader/caster etc.

So I am not sure, if there is any zinc in these ingots etc, (want to take bets), LOL,
so I am going melt these ingots (15-20 of them),
at the lowest temp possible with lots of skimming, to remove it, if possible etc.

The big question I have is, as I don't know the answer, Should I also flux before/after skimming?

Thoughts or suggestions.......

Tia,
Don