PDA

View Full Version : Chrome lined Barrel

lead chucker
10-29-2018, 11:31 PM
Hey Guys. When it comes to shooting black powder is a chrome lined barrel a good thing or does it really matter?

Petrol & Powder
10-30-2018, 06:25 AM
I never really thought about chrome lining and black powder.
Chrome lining is used to help protect bores and chambers from corrosion, so in that regard it could be beneficial. However, considering that black powder weapons must be cleaned extensively after shooting, there's little need for chrome lining in that application.

I can't see a benefit to chrome lining in a black powder weapon.

DIRT Farmer
10-30-2018, 08:38 AM
I have shotguns with chrome lined barrels. If you buy a current made quility double you dont have a choice. My experience you will not get as much build up of fouling in a days shooting

arcticap
10-30-2018, 11:21 AM
I have a Traditions Deer Hunter rifle with an electroless nickel finish inside the bore and I love it.
The exterior of the lock plate, the hammer, drum, tang and barrel exterior are also coated with the finish.
The fouling seems easier to clean off it and the satin-like nickel coating is as tough as nails.
Deer Creek must have bought all of the remaining stock and has them on close-out as it's a discontinued model:--->>> http://www.deercreekproducts.net/store/p801/Traditions_Deerhunter_5ocal._Rifle.html

I think that it comes down to how well that any finish is applied, and some metal coatings have excellent properties.

beemer
10-30-2018, 11:11 PM
I have seen several with chrome bores that were rusted. They might be slightly more rust resistant and easier to clean but they still need to be cleaned properly.

lead chucker
10-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Cleaning after shooting is a must thats for sure. Wasn't sure if the accuracy was affected by it. I have seen a few with muzzle loaders with chrome lined barrels and figured it might be a good thing.

arcticap
10-30-2018, 11:43 PM
Chrome plating has a very high rockwell hardness and is used to extend the service life of the plated part.

Nickel plating also imparts extra hardness as well as corrosion resistance, depending on the specific type of nickel coating.

OverMax
10-31-2018, 12:51 AM
If chrome matters you would see it advertised for inline rifles.

I myself don't think it matters.

arcticap
10-31-2018, 10:58 AM
If chrome matters you would see it advertised for inline rifles.

I myself don't think it matters.

The new coating for inlines is nitride which is used by the military.
Nitride is being used by CVA, Traditions, Knight and also TC I believe.

I think that chrome lining is an important and beneficial option for ML shotguns.
Pedersoli is known for chrome lining their double barrel shotguns, although I don't know if they still do.
It was probably done to allow for waterfowl hunting with more non-toxic shot options.
Even the inexpensive Chinese shotgun that was the last inline imported by Navy Arms had a chrome lined barrel.
That was called the Country Boy shotgun.
I read that chrome lining can have a Rockwell Hardness of somewhere between 62 - 69.
That may be harder than the steel shot[s] that are used for waterfowl hunting.

OverMax
10-31-2018, 11:41 PM
That may be harder than the steel shot[s] that are used for waterfowl hunting. Spot on statement.

rigger
11-04-2018, 10:24 AM
I have Navy Arms double barrel shotgun that is chrome lined. I got it in 1971 long before steel shot was mandated for waterfowl shooting so I doubt that is why they chrome lined shotgun barrels.

arcticap
11-04-2018, 12:07 PM
I have Navy Arms double barrel shotgun that is chrome lined. I got it in 1971 long before steel shot was mandated for waterfowl shooting so I doubt that is why they chrome lined shotgun barrels.

That's a good point and probably true.
However it also possible that because times have changed so have some of the reasons for chrome lining barrels.
Among the reasons why [military] barrels are chrome lined:

1. corrosion resistance
2. easier to clean
3. protects from wear and heat erosion thereby increasing barrel life.
4. up front cost savings by being able to use less expensive steel than stainless while providing
some of the benefits of stainless.
5. slightly less accurate but makes up for it with increased barrel life.

IIRC, some imported Italian caps dating back to the 70's were possibly erosive if not corrosive.
Some of these caps were brass with black priming material.
Imported by CVA & Alcan and possibly made by Fiocchi among others.