PDA

View Full Version : Floresville Texas?

ShooterAZ
10-28-2018, 05:43 PM
I visited there last weekend, and thought it was a pretty nice place. It seemed pretty layed back, and the people were friendly. I'm considering a move after my retirement in a few years. It's 30 miles or so outside of San Antonio. It looks like properties are pretty reasonable there too, at least compared to where I currently live. Flagstaff winters are starting to get a little rough on us. Anyone familiar with the area? Any input will be appreciated.

rl69
10-28-2018, 06:30 PM
You need to see it in August. Most can't take texas humidity.

ShooterAZ
10-28-2018, 06:34 PM
Yeah... that's what I've heard. It's really nice in October though!

buckwheatpaul
10-28-2018, 08:30 PM
Take it from a native Texas.....summer is brutal in Texas.....humidity is oppressive in south and east Texas......but there is no where else I want to live!

Pumpkin
10-28-2018, 10:08 PM
ShooterAZ; As a lifelong resident of Wilson County, Tx, of which Floresville is the county seat, I concur with the above about
the heat and humidity, and also agree that I would live nowhere else. Northern Wilson County had a population boom for the
last 20 or so years due to the overflow from San Antonio, Bexar County---many new residents. Old joke of South Tx---we have
four seasons, early summer, summer, late summer, and Christmas. All joking aside, if I can answer any questions for you,
PM me. If you decide to move in, WELCOME!!!

ThomR
10-29-2018, 01:58 AM
Move to Reno. It doesn't get near as much snow as Flagstaff and it's still a dry climate.

Huntsman52
10-29-2018, 09:31 AM
Floresville is a nice spot. I currently live just north of San Antonio and really enjoy it. If you like Floresville may want to check out Castroville off of Hwy. 90. If you like hills, north of SA up HWY 281 is really nice, although the closer you get to SA the amount of people really explodes. Up near Blanco / Fredsricksburg / Johnson City are also really nice areas that are not overly populated. Another nice area is around New Braunfels which has a lot of amenities and quick access to SA.

If you can stay out of Bexar County...taxes are high. In retrospect, if I would have purchased just 5 miles north (Comal Country) of my current location my taxes would be almost 1% lower.

For me the humidity is not to bad (moved from Houston 1 year ago). I does get hot but hey, that is what the Guadalupe river, Comal River or Canyon Lake is for!

ShooterAZ
10-29-2018, 09:56 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. I guess we'll need to plan a visit in the summer, so we can see how well we tolerate the heat and humidity. Living in Arizona most my life, I know what extreme heat is like (think Phoenix), not so much the humidity. Flagstaff has never seen 100 degrees, 90 is a hot day for us. Part of the reason for possibly relocating would be to help take care of aging family. Also the cost of living appears to be much lower there, a bonus for our retirement years. This is all a few years away, so we'll have some time to check things out further.

sundog
10-29-2018, 10:22 AM
Daughter and SIL have a small ranch just outside Floresville. Nice town, nice area.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-29-2018, 10:23 AM
My Parents were Snow birds for about 20 years (1985-2005) ...living in MN in the summer and living in a RV park just outside of Hondo TX in the winter (Hondo is about 50 miles from San Antonio).
They loved that area of TX and thought the people were great, but they never did spend a summer there.

EDG
10-29-2018, 07:11 PM
For beautiful photos of the Texas Hill Country check out Richard Reynold's photography.
The area around central Texas west of I-35 is very photogenic.

https://richardreynolds.photoshelter.com/portfolio/C00003pMf9NZWulk/G0000clCJNRCidTI

ShooterAZ
10-29-2018, 07:36 PM
I saw some Live Oak trees there that had to be at least 6'+ diameter at the base, maybe more. Limbs that come out and touch the ground and come back up again. Very impressive. Pecan trees were all over too.

EDG
10-29-2018, 07:58 PM
Pecan trees are kind of a mixed blessing.
Most are native pecans. The nuts are small and tough to shell.
Pecan trees shed limbs year around. But they make a wonderful shade next to a creek.

Texas by God
10-29-2018, 10:27 PM
Welcome Home in advance!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ranch Dog
11-04-2018, 03:50 PM
Hunting it Texas can be tough. Little public hunting in South Texas, big game hunting on the public land is all draw hunting. Leases south of I10 and west of I35 are expensive. Just thought I would mention that if you are a hunter.

ShooterAZ
11-04-2018, 04:24 PM
Yes, I am a hunter. I also recently heard that Texas has only somewhere around 2% public lands, and that's if you include the Big Bend National Park. I have to admit this is somewhat disheartening for someone who is used to roaming the wide open spaces of Northern Arizona. Thanks for all the input and welcomes everyone. We are carefully weighing all of our options.

Ranch Dog
11-04-2018, 04:41 PM
Yes, I am a hunter. I also recently heard that Texas has only somewhere around 2% public lands, and that's if you include the Big Bend National Park. I have to admit this is somewhat disheartening for someone who is used to roaming the wide open spaces of Northern Arizona. Thanks for all the input and welcomes everyone. We are carefully weighing all of our options.

Yeah, not good. Draw hunts are very random, points mean little, non-residents have the same opportunity as residents. A couple of years ago, I was drawn for one of the best South Texas whitetail hunts and the same for a West Texas Mule deer hunts. I was 60 years old and had been applying since I was in my mid-twenties. At the whitetail hunt, the manager said the average years applying was 25. Also, told a story about the first manager of the Wildlife Management Area. He served in that position 32 years, lived on the WMA, applied for the hunt every year, and was never drawn for the hunt.

You must budget hunting if you want to hunt big game.

Ranch Dog
11-04-2018, 04:43 PM
Would like to see you come here, but I've seen guys make a move, and then leave a couple of years later because they couldn't find a place to hunt.

sparkyv
11-04-2018, 09:54 PM
Take it from a native Texas.....summer is brutal in Texas.....humidity is oppressive in south and east Texas......but there is no where else I want to live!

^^^This^^^