PDA

View Full Version : School me: Colt Trooper Mk III

Tatume
10-28-2018, 11:01 AM
Hi Folks,

I'm finding conflicting information on the Trooper Mk III, and I don't know much about them from first hand information. For example, some say it is the "poor man's Python" and others say it's a completely different action. What's the real scoop?

I'm a shooter, not a collector. I like the action on my Official Police, and I'm looking for comparable quality with adjustable sights. I don't need a 357 Magnum, 38 Special if fine with me. If not the Trooper Mk III, what model will come closest to what I need?

Thanks, Tom

Outpost75
10-28-2018, 11:29 AM
Trooper MkIII was a different action and later model gun which some production expedients to reduce cost and the amount of hand labor required in production. It was a serviceable gun, but is less desirable to collectors and probably not the equal in quality to your older OP.

An adjustable sight version of the OP was called the Trooper, which was made both in .38 Special and .357. It was intended to be a less expensive service gun than the Python and filled the same niche which the S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman did in comparison to the more highly finished Model 27.

If you do a quick search on GunBroker you will find mid to late 1960s Colt Troopers for sale affordably and often for less money than the later MkIII version. https://www.gunbroker.com/Revolvers/search?Keywords=Colt%20Trooper&Sort=13

Petrol & Powder
10-28-2018, 12:06 PM
As always, Outpost75 is the real authority but I'll add a little.
As Outpost stated, the Colt Trooper MKIII models were less expensive to produce than the Pythons and they had entirely different actions. However, the Trooper MKIII was a serviceable gun and for many years they were real sleepers in terms of value. The later MK V was yet another frame & action but they were equally good values but none of the Trooper models are as collectable as the Pythons.
I inherited a Trooper MK V that was about 30 years old when I got it and it was as tight then as the day it was new. That gun shot better than I could shoot and it held up well. I'm not huge Colt fan but I will say that the Trooper MKIII's and MK V's were good values in the 1980's through the early 2000's.

Personally, I think these days all Colts command prices beyond what they are worth. The Trooper MK III's and MK V's still sell for far less money than a Python but for the going prices I would still opt for a S&W or Ruger.

Just my $0.02 worth.

tazman
10-28-2018, 12:34 PM
I actually owned one of the Trooper MKIII revolvers back in the day. As has been stated, it was a serviceable gun but for me, it seemed heavy at the time.
I never warmed to the gun and it eventually got traded for a S&W.

rintinglen
10-28-2018, 01:00 PM
I had a 6 inch MK III that was an excellent gun. I shot it for several years before selling it to buy a S&W M-14. The MK III/V were much more durable than the V spring Colts. A python will shoot out of time in as little as 1,800 rounds. (I know from first hand experience, having spent hundreds of dollars over the years having mine re-timed. ):roll: The MK III actions were heavier, typically running about 15 pounds DA, as opposed to 10-13 for the V spring guns, but they would stand up to magnum loads much better. The MK V's action was deliberately made lighter, to better compete with S&W and Ruger's DA revolvers. The King Cobra was the ultimate version of the Colt J Frame design.

The Stainless King Cobras command a price far beyond their worth, in my view. But the blued MKIII and MK V's are usually much more affordable. I'd buy one if I came across it at a reasonable price.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-28-2018, 01:12 PM
Click to enlarge.

Here's mine. I carried it as a duty weapon for several years in the late '70s and early '80s, and reblued it in gunsmithing school. They do seem heavier than an S&W 6" Mod. 19, but have a reputation for durability; and because of the weight, the recoil of a full house .357 Mag. round is very controllable. This one remains as tight as the day I bought it. Before you ask-- my name is not Roscoe, that's the revolver's name, a la James Cagney movies.

As regards Pythons, Troopers, and Official Police revolvers, I think it would be reasonably accurate to say that the original Trooper's action and that of a Python are the same, with finishing and tuning being the difference. The Trooper was/is a beefed up Official Police with a frame more suited to the magnum cartridge, plus adjustable sights, and the internal workings of the Mk III modernized and different. Mk V is different again. Heresy, I know, but I never cared for the Python's weight or balance; but from an investment viewpoint, at today's prices I wish I would have bought a truckload. I do like the Mk. III and wouldn't part with mine. If one believes in hunting deer with a .357 handgun, this would be the one to have. So, as has already been said by others, Mk. IIIs are sleepers, and if you encounter a good deal and it's what you need I'd snap it up.

Guesser
10-28-2018, 05:41 PM
If you like your Official Police and want the same with adjustable sights look for an Officers Model Match, it is the OP with adjustable sights. They come in 22 LR and 38 Special and are tack drivers to use an obsolete term. OM Target, made until WW 2. OM Special made from WW 2 till 1954. OM Match made from 54 till 69 or so. Basically all the same action and the sights varied by generation. I have a 1941, 1951 and a 1961. All built on the OP frame but with adjustable sights and hand tuned like a Python.

gon2shoot
10-28-2018, 05:57 PM
I carried a Trooper III as a duty gun in the mid 70s, shot great, felt great, no issues. Wish I had it back.

smkummer
10-28-2018, 06:38 PM
I am a colt collector ( and shooter) and walked pass the MKIII series for some time, now I am adding them to my collection and have most. The MkIII trooper was a very common gun in the gun shops of the 70’s. It’s a rock solid gun built to last. Double action can be a bit heavy but there are aftermarket springs to lighten that if you wish. Single action pull is very good and these shoot very well. 4, 6 or 8”? And you have a choice of service stocks and lots of pachmayr options as well.

Boogieman
10-28-2018, 06:55 PM
If you like your Official Police and want the same with adjustable sights look for an Officers Model Match, it is the OP with adjustable sights. They come in 22 LR and 38 Special and are tack drivers to use an obsolete term. OM Target, made until WW 2. OM Special made from WW 2 till 1954. OM Match made from 54 till 69 or so. Basically all the same action and the sights varied by generation. I have a 1941, 1951 and a 1961. All built on the OP frame but with adjustable sights and hand tuned like a Python.

The O.M. Target was also made in 32 N.P.

Harry O
10-28-2018, 07:19 PM
The MkIII seems to be in the weight range of the S&W L-frame and the Ruger GP100 (I have all three). A little heavier than the S&W K-frames or the earlier Colt Trooper. It has a slightly smaller groove diameter (like all the .357/.38 Spl Colts I have) than the other brands.

If you load only one diameter bullet (.358") like I do, accuracy will trail the others a little bit, but very little. I did some experimenting with .356" bullets in it once and it matched the others in accuracy, but stopped that since it was too much trouble to load separate cartridges for the different guns. All in all, it is a very good gun, if you can get one at a reasonable price. I have seen the prices going up the last few years, but they are still far, far behind a Python so far. Who knows what the future will bring.

Hardcast416taylor
10-28-2018, 08:29 PM
I still have my personal carry Mk111 in 4" blue from my time as an LEO back in the 1970`s. It served me well then with no breakdowns. I shot many 38 spcl loads thru it for dept. training and still do. If I want to feel what a .357 Mag. round feels like again I break out of my favorite 125 gr. JHP FBI loads. I still think that buying this pistol was one of my smarter buys.Robert

Guesser
10-28-2018, 08:54 PM
There were a few of the Colt OM's made in 32, but very few and they command a very commanding premium price. The 38's are reasonable and if you find one that needs a little work send it to Frank Glenn in Phoenix. he is a master on the Colts. I've had him work on several of my old ones, in fact he has a 1927 Army Special in his shop right now that should be coming home this week.

Silver Jack Hammer
10-28-2018, 09:05 PM
I used the Captains Colt’s Trooper Mark 3 for the police academy in the early ‘80’s. The Captain loaned his Trooper out to all the recruits to use in the academy. Firearms was 40 hours. Year after year that Trooper was used by the new recruits and it never broke, never failed us.

birch
10-28-2018, 09:06 PM
They are fine guns.