PDA

View Full Version : Plumber coming today

Pressman
10-26-2018, 06:03 AM
After reading all of the water heater comments I checked mine, the tag says it was installed in 1991. Wow. I live about a 100 miles east of Mary. That's scary good.
The boiler needs some parts replaced as it is was installed in 1960. We have been thinking about replacing the the entire system with a Rinna tank less boiler and water heater combined..
Last winter the boiler failed the last weekend of the year and 20 below zero while we were in Texas. That mess cost $62,000 to repair. Don't want to do that again.
We would also be adding a a Wi-Fi thermostat so we can keep an eye on it.

Opinion's?

Ken

waksupi
10-26-2018, 10:51 AM
If you use the tankless, be sure to run the water through a conditioner before it goes through the heater. I tried them a couple times, too much mineral in my water, and elements didn't last long.

Down South
10-26-2018, 04:37 PM
I had installed two of the WiFi thermostats in my house when I was working in Houston. House is in LA. They work great as long as the internet is working. I'd be gone most of the time for a month or more.
Anyway, it was nice to see what the temp was in my house from a remote location, turn the thermostats down in the summer before I got home. Turn them up in the winter, or turn the units off.
They saved me a bundle on electricity. I used to turn the old analog thermostats as low as they would go in the winter when leaving back for Houston which was about 45 Deg. The WiFi thermostats, I can turn lower or better, just shut the units down unless I expected a hard freeze which we rarely have.

dragon813gt
10-26-2018, 04:48 PM
There is a better option to WiFi thermostats. It’s Honeywell’s RedLink. This is the same secured communication standard their security system use. It’s not dependent on the WiFi signal in your house. It’s very robust and you don’t have to worry about a weak signal.

The only downside is you have to install a gateway at your router. This is how it gives you remote access. And of course the gateway isn’t free. They have an app for both Android and an iPhone. And if you don’t use a smartphone you can access through any internet browser.

We had to many problems as wifi(especially NEST) products when I was working in residential HVAC. The additional cost of RedLink is worth it. And yes, it’s what I have in my house.

Pressman
10-26-2018, 08:05 PM
Well, we pulled the trigger on a system. Turns out the tank less and high efficiency is the same price as the conventional boiler and a new water heater.
Going with a Navien NCB240E and a Honeywell Pro6000 wi-fi thermostate.

Thank you for the great ideas and points to watch.

Ken

PB234
10-26-2018, 08:23 PM
Pressman, if you are concerned about water leakage there are systems that can detect a water leak and shut down the entire water system until reset. One such system is the FloLogic system which you can Google. Some insurance companies will give a discount to people who have installed water leak prevention systems.