PDA

View Full Version : A Remington for deer hunting

Boz330
10-25-2018, 10:00 AM
There were a couple guys on here talking about using the Remington for hunting deer and I was wondering if anyone has taken one that way. I carry one as a back up if I need a close follow up shot although I'm finishing a Lyman Plains Pistol in 54 for that purpose.
Just wondering since I had 2 small bucks pass within 20ft of my stand last weekend and I was tempted but only had RBs loaded which would have been pretty low on the muzzle energy scale. I have loaded the Lee 200gr RNFP in this revolver but you have to do it with the cylinder removed.

Bob

mooman76
10-25-2018, 10:13 AM
I never have but at that range you had plenty of power to get the job done, if you do your part.

rodwha
10-25-2018, 08:14 PM
It depends on the powder used and the load behind the ball. When Swiss, Olde Eynsford, Triple 7, and sometimes Pyrodex P (I’ve seen very energetic results and very dismal results, which is one reason I wouldn’t use it) the velocity with a ball is roughly that of a .45-.50 cal ball around 100 yds, and plenty of deer have been taken with usually a complete pass through (broadside shots) of the vitals.

I prefer a wide meplat bullet myself, and use Olde Eynsford and Triple 7 in my guns, however I’ve yet to take them hunting.

DIRT Farmer
10-25-2018, 08:50 PM
Considering that the origional loads, round ball and a cylinder full of powder was considered enough to disable a horse under a charging calveryman, a good shot and steady hand at reasonable range deer would not be a problem.

koger
10-25-2018, 09:51 PM
Not a Remington, but close, I have taken 2 deer with a Ruger Old Army, and a 200 gr, Lee slug I molded, with 35 grains of 3fffg behind it! Both were between 15-25 yards, one at 15 yards was a follow up on a deer the wife had gut shot, we thought we would find it soon, left our rifles behind, when she climbed up on a down tree, and pointed to it in front of me in a briar patch, all I could see when it jumped up was the head and about 6 inches of its neck, I head shot it, DRT! The other was a doe about 20 yds, heading up a bank left side facing me, and I put a slug thru her ribs right behind the shoulder, and exited the ribs on the other side, she hunched up and went straight up the bank about 4 steps, and I thumbed the hammer back and put one between her shoulder blades, thru the spine and out the chest, DRT!

Boz330
10-26-2018, 11:07 AM
With the Pietta Remington and a RB about all you can get in the chamber is 35g by volume. I had Old Eynsford 3F loaded. Last year I tried the Lee 200gr RNFP for the 45 Colt, but don't remember how much powder I could get behind it. That has a respectable meplat for sure. The Ruger has a lot more powder capacity, probably close to the Walker.
I realize that you can take a deer with a 22 if necessary but I really like DRT and don't like any chance of the animal suffering any more than necessary. I have seen well hit deer go a pretty good distance on occasion. Just wanted to get some real world experience on the subject.

Bob

bob208
10-26-2018, 01:01 PM
back in the day they were suppose to take down a horse. best way to stop a calvary charge was shoot the horses. deer are a lot smaller then a horse.

Hanshi
10-26-2018, 05:36 PM
A round ball starts off wider than an expanded 30/06. With black powder weapons it's not "energy" that kills; it's the damage done from a well placed shot. I've taken deer up to 100 yards with the simple patched round ball. They were fired from flintlock longrifles with complete pass through. But round balls from c&b revolvers were sure man-stoppers in the war and Hickock did all his killings with a .36 caliber sixgun and round ball..

rodwha
10-26-2018, 05:43 PM
Actually a ROA isn’t close to a Walker. Comparing my ROA to my NMA I see roughly 5 grns of additional powder.

I had been using an adjustable rifle measure. At 30 grns (my more accurate NMA load) I see it weighs ~33 grns using 3F Olde E. It easily will hold 5-8 more grns. My ROA’s load is 35 grns which weighs ~38 grns and will also hold about the same more UNLESS I use 3F Triple 7 which compresses more.

rodwha
10-26-2018, 05:48 PM
Going by the few various chronographed results online my NMA using my short 195 grn bullets (.460” so as not to take up precious powder capacity) is running in the standard .45 ACP performance levels using Olde E or T7. And with the wide meplat (.375”) it should easily punch nice wide long wound channels.