PDA

View Full Version : Scamming

Handloader109
10-24-2018, 09:05 PM
My 91 year old mother came close to being scammed today. Call from whom she thought was her grandson in OK. Said he was in jail, had a wreck and needed money. Had a "lawyer" get on the phone and try and get her to go to home depot..... she doesn't drive, no one with her today. Her help comes in about every other day. They called twice trying to get her to find someone to take her and even offered to get taxi for her (no taxi service in small town thankfully).

She finally called my brother and asked about his son. Who then called her from work.... scam.

Friend of hers had same type of call last week, none of her grandchildren drive... knew it was scam.

Be careful. Home depot supposedly will do cash advances to another store with NO ID needed on other end. I dont know this for sure but my wife said that they do.

Let anyone you know that is aged know to call their grandkids to confirm issue before falling for this.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Down South
10-24-2018, 09:53 PM
It seems older folks are easy prey for scammers. I hate that so many thieves abound. I wish there was someway to catch the scammers and lock em up.
I usually get at least one to three calls a day. Student loan forgiveness, car warranty, Medicare supplements, computer virus, IRS, I even had one who claimed to be the FBI saying that I was under investigation until I told him that I was also FBI and asked him what division he worked in.

I'm glad you guys figured out the scam before it was too late.

The scammers spoof their number many times, had one of those today, same area code and prefix so that I might think it's someone that I know.
The spoofed numbers usually belong to someone who has no idea that a scammer is using their Ph number.
The other numbers, if you call back go to a dead end.

Since I just retired a few weeks ago, I accept any call that might be legit because I'm dealing with real insurance supplements and other things. Soon I'll go back to leaving my cell phone on do not disturb so that anyone not on my contact list, the phone won't ring but it does leave the option to leave a message.
I also have an App called Hiya that weeds out a lot of BS calls.

lancem
10-24-2018, 10:23 PM
My mom just got one, but she's a sharp ol'cookie, after listening to the accident need money scam, she asked him how his wife janie was, he said she's ok... trouble is grandson isn't married, she laid into him pretty good knowing her :)

bob208
10-24-2018, 10:31 PM
I get about 3 scam calls a day. trying to get my Medicare info. I have come the conclusion the do not call list is not worth a D. sad to say the older we get the more some creep tries to take advantage of us. never thought I would be in the senior category.

Down South
10-24-2018, 10:35 PM
I get about 3 scam calls a day. trying to get my Medicare info. I have come the conclusion the do not call list is not worth a D. sad to say the older we get the more some creep tries to take advantage of us. never thought I would be in the senior category.

The "Do Not Call List" is a joke with scammers. Only legit businesses pay attention to it, sometimes.
Scammers are crooks so they don't abide by the law. I'm on the federal and state do not call list and was a waste of my time.

iomskp
10-24-2018, 11:06 PM
We get the scammer calls here, the numbers look right until you look closer 1 or 2 extra digits, somebody told me they are not generated from the phone system but computer generated that taps into the phone systems, one way or the other they are annoying.

Wayne Smith
10-25-2018, 07:53 AM
I typically don't answer my phone as I am in session (Psychologist) and don't interrupt for my business. Just out of curiosity I called back one of my missed calls. Lady answered and said that she had never called me. I told her that her phone # had likely been hijacked.

lightman
10-25-2018, 09:12 AM
Everyone should take the time to try and educate their older relatives about these scams. Makes a fellow mad hearing stuff like this.

Handloader109
10-25-2018, 09:18 AM
Mom won't give out info, none should. I fussed at her last night about answering calls she did not know. She has cable that shows phone number on screen and tv is on most of the time. Use it....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DocSavage
10-25-2018, 09:36 AM
I've had 2 arrest warrants issued by the "IRS" still waiting for the sheriff to show up .

JoeJames
10-25-2018, 09:41 AM
I typically don't answer my phone as I am in session (Psychologist) and don't interrupt for my business. Just out of curiosity I called back one of my missed calls. Lady answered and said that she had never called me. I told her that her phone # had likely been hijacked.Spoofing - I got a call from the accountant's office next door. Except it wasn't, when I answered. How these idjits expect to appear honest when they are using a false number is beyond me.

2wheelDuke
10-25-2018, 10:00 AM
It's amazing just how rampant this sort of thing is. As a law enforcement officer, it frustrates me even more that we can't seem to do much about it. Most of these scams seem to be coming form overseas, far outside of my jurisdictional reach.

My city has gone as far as having warnings posted about buying Green Dot, iTunes, or other cards as a form of online or phone payment.

My mother has come close to being duped on a tech support scam before. My brother's business line gets these calls daily, and they've made a hobby of stringing them along pranking them with skits, impressions, getting them to say silly things, etc.

The government seems pretty powerless on the issue. I wish the telco companies could do something about it. They probably could, but it's obviously not in their best interest.

Mr_Sheesh
10-25-2018, 12:16 PM
Any small business that has a PBX can do this spoofing, and I'd think any newer phone system could do the same.

We voters will need to get good and ticked off and make this an issue, and/or just not answer any phone number we don't recognize, to get this to end.

One suggestion that might do it is to make the receiver of a phone call, able to charge for your day being interrupted; If it cost $2 per call for scammers to call us, (a) the telco's would make SURE they knew who the callers were, they pay attention to money; and, (b) the scammers would stop almost instantly. It'd also end the wrong numbers I keep getting where some idiot calls, I answer, and they then hang up instead of apologizing for their mistake... (I am thinking you could set it so friends / family could call free, just OTHER callers like the tree cutters who keep trying to get me to order tree cutting for my apartment complex's trees or air duct cleaning for my non existent air ducts etc. would pay me; It could pay for my land line most months! Design it so if a friend calls from someone else's phone you can tap a key and the telco knows not to charge them, or they can call as themselves so are not charged, this isn't THAT hard a thing for the telcos to solve, if they had to!)

wv109323
10-25-2018, 12:20 PM
I enjoy those calls. I play along with them to take up their time so they are not scamming some one else. If they want a SS number I give them one.
An IRS guy called me wanting money. I told him I had already sent the money in and their computer system needed to be updated. It was not not my fault their system was outdated. Of course I posed as a system expert and tried to sell him a new computer.They have yet to call back.

sparky45
10-25-2018, 12:24 PM
Puzzle me this: seems NSA, and other alphabet agencies can catch all calls and record all conversations; why can't they catch the scammers and open up another GITMO!!

bob208
10-25-2018, 12:50 PM
they almost got me the other day. was at the daughter in-laws weed eating got the call was going along then they asked for my birthdate and last four of c-card. then it hit me and I hung up before any damage was done. if you are busy mind on other things it is real easy to slip up.

Down South
10-25-2018, 01:49 PM
I enjoy those calls. I play along with them to take up their time so they are not scamming some one else.
LOL, I do the same thing sometimes. Now that I'm retired I'll have more time to occupy the scammers. I do it for the same reason, to keep them from scamming someone else while I'm burning their time.
I can come up with some wonderful BS to keep them distracted. I've had a few to say a few words to me that I can't repeat here before they hung up on me. I can say that I was happy that I got under their skin.

Reverend Al
10-25-2018, 02:20 PM
I still think that this was one of the best responses to a call from a phone scammer / solicitor. They called a comedian (and boy, was THAT a mistake) and he strung them along making them think that the person they had called had been murdered and he was a police officer at the murder scene. Absolutely hilarious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=y50SN-Elwl8

sureYnot
10-25-2018, 03:31 PM
I wish the telco companies could do something about it. They probably could, but it's obviously not in their best interest.

We cannot. But it would definitely be in our best interest.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

cabezaverde
10-25-2018, 04:27 PM
We are visiting with my son. He got one of these the other day, says "just a minute". Told his 3 year old daughter it was for her and hands her the phone as she starts jabbering at the caller. They hung up quickly.

Petrol & Powder
10-25-2018, 06:00 PM
Getting back to the OP, it's a well known scam.

What they are after is a pre-paid gift card. Home Depot, Lowes, just about any large retailer will sell those types of cards.

The scammers target the elderly and the hook is often an alleged grandchild in trouble.

The phone number, or apparent phone number they call from is totally irrelevant.

ANYTIME someone calls YOU wanting information or money, it should be a red flag. If there's some urgency to the situation, that's a double red flag. The best defense to these scams is to educate your older relatives and friends to never give out information when they RECEIVE a call AND to always check with a trusted friend or family member before paying any money out. Slow down, talk to someone trusted first, there's no need to rush.

I know someone that almost got scammed like this and a neighbor saved the day. The older lady asked a friend to drive her to the bank (not an unusual request). The neighbor did and when the elderly woman got back in the car she had $1000 in cash and said she needed to send the money to her grandson immediately. The neighbor asked a few questions and it was clearly a scam. Thankfully there was a good person between the victim and the scammer.

Down South
10-25-2018, 07:34 PM
We cannot. But it would definitely be in our best interest.

I realize that even with the technology out there today, the scammers are taking advantage of it. Someday, hopefully soon, we as a nation can come up with something to shut these sleaze bags down and put them behind bars if they are operating within our borders. If out of our borders, hopefully we can put enough pressure on them to make them to seek honest employment.

I have asked a number of the scammers after my long line of BS how they can sleep at night trying to scam the elderly or anyone out of their savings. The answers or no answers that I got back showed me how heartless these people are.

Big Tom
10-25-2018, 08:30 PM
You are all good people... When I get these scammer pigs on the phone, it reminds me that the electric chairs could still be set up again and serve a great cause... What I tell and promise these criminal pieces of useless excrement is nothing I could repeat here without getting banned ;-)

Unfortunately, with easily set up internet based phone systems, providers that are not interested in fixing the problem, law enforcement that is way above their heads when it comes to internet fraud and a government that is not taking any ownership (no matter which party...), this is a problem that will not get fixed, but will get worse.

sureYnot
10-25-2018, 09:26 PM
providers that are not interested in fixing the problem,

Again... It isn't that providers don't care. It's just not a thing that can be done. It would be of great benefit to the industry, if it could be stopped.

MaryB
10-25-2018, 09:30 PM
I get 5-6 calls from them a day...

Best was one saying I won the publishers Clearing house $1 million prize. But I needed to pay $600 in fees up front that would be reimbursed. They would send their representative to collect. I strung him along and had a friend who was at my house call the town cop. He walked over(2 blocks away) and was waiting in the living room. Dude showed up at the door to collect the cash and out steps the cop with cuffs in hand... guy he arrested sang and they got the guy in a town 25 miles away who was doing the scam.

So now I string them along and tell them they have to pick it up in person, i am disabled and don't drive(a lie but they don't know), haven't got anyone to bite again but i have been cussed at a lot!

Latest going around MN is a call form a "poll taker" who then asks for money for the dem party(yeah right, good luck dude!). Heavy Somali accent... turned that one over to the MN State Police to investigate... has called 3 times now. Last one I wasn't nice... involved doing something with a goat...

mold maker
10-26-2018, 10:44 AM
My wife and I get lots fewer calls since we started telling them that, we are just care takers and the residents have gone to a nursing facility.

Mohavedog
10-26-2018, 11:35 AM
A few days ago I received a call and the first thing the caller said was "can you hear me". Without thinking I automatically said yes. After I said yes I immediately recalled a scam I had heard about several months ago and hung up without further conversation. The scam involves your "yes" answer giving permission to whatever the scam is they're running. Just passing this along since it seems that scam is still around.

bdicki
10-26-2018, 11:58 AM
Heard about this this morning.
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/10/usps-informed-delivery-is-stalkers-dream/

salpal48
10-26-2018, 12:03 PM
I never answer Unknown # or area codes. After the call I look them Up

MT Gianni
10-26-2018, 02:16 PM
One of their scams involves asking you something you say "YES" to. They then edit their records to have a recording of you agreeing to an item or service. If you choose to string them along never say yes or I agree to anything.

jsizemore
10-26-2018, 04:15 PM
Just deleted an email from Don Johnson in Nevada that wanted me to get some iTunes gift cards for his cousin since he was on vacation and didn't have access to them where he's at. Email didn't make it to my spam folder. castboolit emails go there but not Don Johnson.

Duckiller
10-26-2018, 05:15 PM
I am convinced that the phone companies won't stop these people because they want the revenue. I think "do not call" lists would work if the Federal and State governments would enforce the law. Legislatures passed the law to make the voters happy then don't enforce it so the phone company gets the revenue.

Big Tom
10-26-2018, 06:30 PM
Somebody is providing the scammers the gateways from SIP to PSTN. Or they route calls from providers that allow criminals to use their networks. Or they provide VOIP service to anybody who pays a few Dollars for it - these are these ones that need to be held responsible. Allowing to spoof phone numbers on a PSTN (or even a valid VOIP) system? "oh that cannot be prohibited" is the biggest nonsense I have ever heard. Yes, it would take some effort and would cost money, but technically, it is not a problem to implement. The problem with that is that it would be solely a cost to the providers with very little to no financial gain - unless there are legal consequences for these companies and their executives for indirectly/directly supporting scammers, nothing will happen.

This is very similar to companies hosting the websites of criminals that ran phishing campaigns to collect credit card and other personal information. Unless there will be legal consequences for the providers hosting these #@^&@*#, nothing will happen.

It is the same with data security for organizations. Ultimately, nothing really happens to them if they get breached and they allow criminals to steal all customer data. Target, Equifax, Under Armour, Facebook, Exactis (google it, they are the current record holder)... nothing really happened to the companies and they have no real driver to invest into processes and technology securing their environment - it would be wasted money as nobody is being held accountable. Therefore, nothing really happens and we hear from one data breach after the next.

"cannot be done" is the lamest excuse they can come up with (and a flat out lie).

Again... It isn't that providers don't care. It's just not a thing that can be done. It would be of great benefit to the industry, if it could be stopped.

sureYnot
10-26-2018, 06:54 PM
Somebody is providing the scammers the gateways from SIP to PSTN. Or they route calls from providers that allow criminals to use their networks. Or they provide VOIP service to anybody who pays a few Dollars for it - these are these ones that need to be held responsible. Allowing to spoof phone numbers on a PSTN (or even a valid VOIP) system? "oh that cannot be prohibited" is the biggest nonsense I have ever heard. Yes, it would take some effort and would cost money, but technically, it is not a problem to implement. The problem with that is that it would be solely a cost to the providers with very little to no financial gain - unless there are legal consequences for these companies and their executives for indirectly/directly supporting scammers, nothing will happen.

This is very similar to companies hosting the websites of criminals that ran phishing campaigns to collect credit card and other personal information. Unless there will be legal consequences for the providers hosting these #@^&@*#, nothing will happen.

It is the same with data security for organizations. Ultimately, nothing really happens to them if they get breached and they allow criminals to steal all customer data. Target, Equifax, Under Armour, Facebook, Exactis (google it, they are the current record holder)... nothing really happened to the companies and they have no real driver to invest into processes and technology securing their environment - it would be wasted money as nobody is being held accountable. Therefore, nothing really happens and we hear from one data breach after the next.

"cannot be done" is the lamest excuse they can come up with (and a flat out lie).I'm not exactly at the bottom of the pile at one of the largest telecommunications companies in the U.S. Don't really appreciate being called a liar because you don't like the reality. I suppose you think we can keep drugs and guns out of the hands of criminals as well. But, in a way, you are right. It could be done. Anything could be done if you're willing to trade away all your freedom and privacy, you can have complete security. All it requires is that you be willing to kneel at the feet of your masters in Washington. Keep demanding it. Maybe they'll give it to you.

Big Tom
10-26-2018, 07:33 PM
Just to clarify - it was not my intention calling you personally a liar and I don't think my post reads that way.

With being in the IT industry for 25+ years, the "cannot be done" when it comes to IT topics (and I consider this an IT related issue) just doesn't cut it for me. I agree that it would take efforts and solutions that might not even be readily available today, my issue is that almost nothing is being done to get this fixed. Instead, it is getting worse each year. The problem, that even PSTN phone systems 20 years ago could be configured to use any number and not only the assigned one, shows that there was zero effort on the side of the phone companies to solve this issue. 20 years ago it was most likely being ignored as it was not a real problem, then it was being ignored because it "always was this way" and then today it most likely still is being ignored for the simple fact that with a fix, no more revenue could be generated, not even EBITDA could be improved.

Not sure where you see losing freedom or privacy when technical means are being put in place that prevent scammers to do significant damage to our country and people. Would be great if you could elaborate and maybe even explain what is being done in the telecommunication industry from an executive view in one of these organizations. I would seriously be interested in hearing that, even if it would mean my assessment is incorrect.

Oh - and yes, I am a big fan of supporting, demanding and enforcing accountability. The government (no matter which party) seems to have the same understanding in certain other areas, when you look at the Sarbanes-Oxley act after Enron or the NIST requirements in regards to IT security when you want to work for government entities.

I'm not exactly at the bottom of the pile at one of the largest telecommunications companies in the U.S. Don't really appreciate being called a liar because you don't like the reality. I suppose you think we can keep drugs and guns out of the hands of criminals as well. But, in a way, you are right. It could be done. Anything could be done if you're willing to trade away all your freedom and privacy, you can have complete security. All it requires is that you be willing to kneel at the feet of your masters in Washington. Keep demanding it. Maybe they'll give it to you.

sureYnot
10-26-2018, 07:50 PM
As badly as I want to share specifics, I can't. Suffice it to say I believe it is not possible, in the current environment, without severe infringements. My friends, family, and I get the same scam attempts as everyone else. Best thing you can do is educate your loved ones about the threat, just as you would advise them of a bad part of town or the hazards of snake country. The world of IT is exactly that... It's own little world. Complete with both good and evil. But you already know that. And I don't like it any more than you do.

ThomR
10-27-2018, 01:28 AM
Some months ago I tried selling a weight set on craigslist. It wasn't long before a scammer contacted me. They wanted to send me a check for more than I was asking and wanted me to send them the rest so they could pay for the shipping themselves.
I strung them along saying that I owned my own trucking company and could get the weight set shipped essentially for free. They called me and did their best to convince me.

My wife isn't very computer savvy and can be susceptible to scams online. Thankfully she hasn't been scammed yet. Mostly due to me being so skeptical. Recently she was applying for a job online to do work from home to earn some extra income. The obviously fake employer sent a very very legit looking cashiers check. The cashiers check had only one warning sign that it might have been fake, but that was just a small spelling error. They wanted my wife to deposit the check and send them a copy of the deposit slip to confirm that it was deposited. Needless to say, they didn't get a copy of the deposit slip. I told my wife that it was a scam and to stop using that website to look for work.

bob208
10-27-2018, 10:14 AM
some times I answer sheriff's dept. farad division how may I help you. a very quick click on their end.

MaryB
10-27-2018, 08:41 PM
"Hello, FBI field office"

*click*

seetrout
11-04-2018, 12:01 AM
Thanksgiving, circa 1995.
My 75 year old grandfather answers the phone.
He is NOT hard of hearing.
"What?"
"A wheelbarrow?"
"No. I already own a wheelbarrow."
"What?"
"But I already have a wheelbarrow?"

Lather, rinse, repeat.

After about 10 minutes we were all crying.

He hangs up and says..."Wow, that guy REALLY wanted to sell me a new wheelbarrow."

Hardcast416taylor
11-04-2018, 12:06 PM
A lady friend of ours had a similar phone scam about a Grandson being in an accident. Now this Lady friend is a spinster, never married or had Grandkids. She played along with the scam `clowns` till she got bored with them. She then calmly said that she was not only a deputy Sheriff, but that she was recording the call! She wasn`t either - but she said they hung up on her very quickly.Robert

Reverend Al
11-04-2018, 02:02 PM
If you want a really good laugh, this is how James Veitch deals with scammers. WAY too funny ...

https://www.ted.com/talks/james_veitch_this_is_what_happens_when_you_reply_t o_spam_email

... or trying to "unsubscribe" ...

https://www.ted.com/talks/james_veitch_the_agony_of_trying_to_unsubscribe