PDA

View Full Version : AR15 stock options.

Tackleberry41
10-22-2018, 01:42 PM
Maybe I am just weird, but always preferred the fixed AR stock, hard to find an AR in a shop anymore no matter how big or long the barrel is, all sport an M4 stock. Seems only way to go fixed is order one off internet.

Did an 80% build w the ACE skeleton stock, love it. Its just not easy to remove once installed. Did a dedicated 9mm 80%, went w the supposedly minimalist Magpul M4 stock, but come to find out, its actually heavier than the basic military M4. Cut a buffer out of brass, longer to fit wout a buffer tube spacer. Heavier to try and keep bolt pop down.

Been wanting to try an M4 stock on a new build, but cant use the 9mm lower or just pop the stock off the other. So another 80% unit.

I poked around, M4 stocks its a smorgasbord, fixed not much choice. Like the shorter ACE stock, but not much else out there that length, all are A2. I know they sell an A1 stock, might end up w one. Theres Hogue, no idea if it could be shortened? And Magpul, same idea? For the 9mm. A minimalist sort of set up.

Still going to use an M4 on the other, its not a light kicking 223 but 450 BM. Are there any M4 style with more recoil absorbtion? Im not the issue, but others will eventually want to shoot it.

JoeJames
10-22-2018, 03:23 PM
I use A2 stocks only. Bought one at a gun show, and traded an old Choate 10-22 folding stock for another one. But I am a dinosaur I reckon; I just like a stock that doesn't rattle around, and worry me that it's fixing to collapse. Also, back 50 years ago I got kind of used to a real good cheek weld when I was on the rifle team in college.

RU shooter
10-22-2018, 05:07 PM
I prefer the old style/length A1 stock with rubber ish buttplate . Just fits me best and the most comfortable for me anyways .

Earlwb
10-22-2018, 05:28 PM
I like the A2 rifle length buffer stocks too. I have been eyeing the wood versions though. ref http://woodforar.com/
or
https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator
or
http://www.blackgunswood.com/

edp2k
10-22-2018, 08:30 PM
I like the magpul MOE Rifle Stock

dragon813gt
10-22-2018, 08:37 PM
All of mine have Magpul stocks. CTR on all but two. They don’t make the CTR in pink so the step daughter’s has a standard MOE stock. Another has an ACS but I don’t like that one. Which reminds me I need to buy a different one for it.

mattw
10-22-2018, 10:52 PM
I am trying to figure this out myself, just got my first AR at 53 and actually like it. My 16yo daughter and will be mainly shooting off of a bench with it and would like to use rear sandbag and front rest. I am trying to figure out what would work the best. I am leaning toward the old school fixed stock myself. I just wish I could quickly swap between the adjustable and fixed.

lefty o
10-22-2018, 11:00 PM
as far as i know there is no quick swap from fixed to adjustable, unless you consider changing buffer tubes out a quick swap.

Boolit_Head
10-22-2018, 11:20 PM
Check out a mission first tactical minimalist. I'm really please with the one I have.

Tackleberry41
10-23-2018, 08:10 AM
I have not found it to be a huge labor to unthread the buffer tube for a swap, cheap armorer wrench. But the ACE skeleton does not come off easy, so is no simple swapping. Why I built another lower, so i can have a collapsable stock. I like the looks of the hogue better than the magpul. Might try the ACE minimalist one where its just a butt plate that clamps on the buffer tube.

Just odd how there is so little selection in fixed. Or why EVERY ar in the rack at a shop sports an M4 even if it has some huge scope on top and 24in varmint barrel.

See how the M4 does on a 450BM, a rifle buffer with a big chunk of tungsten inside tamed the recoil, but is to much as does not cycle everything now. See how the same buffer does in the 9mm. Need to find a scale to weigh them. A solid brass extended buffer is certainly heavier than a M4 heavy buffer. Then made another with a rod of tungsten inside. Maybe cut the one down to M4 length, see how it does with the 450bm.

Texas by God
10-23-2018, 09:13 AM
A2 stock for me. No rattling unless you have something loose in the storage compartment. Feels more like a rifle to me. I bought a tan one from ATI that came with the spring and buffer and was very pleased.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit_Head
10-23-2018, 09:57 AM
I have not found it to be a huge labor to unthread the buffer tube for a swap, cheap armorer wrench. But the ACE skeleton does not come off easy, so is no simple swapping.

If it's easy to unscrew a buffer tube to switch back and forth then maybe it's not installed right. The castle nut is supposed to be staked.

A2 stock for me. No rattling unless you have something loose in the storage compartment.

Some of the better carbine stocks fit tight with no rattle.

skeet1
10-23-2018, 10:05 AM
I also prefer the fixed old school stock compared to the expandable. I have had the M4 stock before but it seem like I always left it set to the max length and it was not nearly as solid as the fixed so I replaced it.

Ken

Preacher Jim
10-23-2018, 11:27 AM
Graf an sons has A2 stocks for 42.00

Tackleberry41
10-23-2018, 12:08 PM
Yea maybe production guns they stake the nut. Military I can understand, they get abused do not want them coming loose. Factory has to worry what people might do. I have never bothered, snug the nut its not gonna come loose at the range. So its pretty easy to unthread the stock, make sure the 2 springs do not go flying, then put a fixed tube on, then back again.

Something else I have not seen some sort of drop in butt plate for the standard A2 stock. I know not much need on a 223, but plenty of heavy hitters on the market now, same butt plate to beat up your shoulder.

popper
10-23-2018, 12:19 PM
magpul MOE Rifle Stock Flat bottom fits a bag well and doesn't have all the adj. knobs & stuff to get in the way. A2 slopes and gave me trouble on the bags. Hate those cheap collapsible ones. MOE works for field or bench.

KCcactus
10-25-2018, 08:02 AM
If you want adjustable with some recoil reduction, take a look at the Mako GL Shock. It also reduces muzzle climb. The biggest I have one one is 6.8 spc. I've read comments that it works well with the 450 BM.

Tackleberry41
10-26-2018, 02:03 PM
That Mako looks nice, if you could buy one. Not seen anybody who has one in stock. Think I will try the Hogue, see how it looks on the one rifle. Being a 9mm looks a bit bulky with the military A2 stock.

Again with all the heavy hitting rounds out there, its time for companies to try something new vs just rehashing the same things over and over. Some sort of softer drop in butt plate for A2 stocks would be really nice. Seen the slip on M4 rubber pads, but someone needs to make one that fits and simply screws down so it looks better.

TCLouis
10-27-2018, 01:53 PM
If I had any ARs they would all be sporting A-2 stocks for sure!

nekshot
10-28-2018, 07:50 AM
Mine has a walnut rear stock of my making. I like the warmth wood has and on a bad hunting day when nothing is moving just looking at the wood grain is entertaining for me.

pacomdiver
10-28-2018, 10:47 PM
you could try a Cav Arms sniper stock, its solid like a fixed and adjustable if you need to, plus has a built in monopod and has lots of adjustment to get the right "FIT". i have one on an AR10

fatelk
11-06-2018, 09:53 PM
I like the A2 rifle length buffer stocks too. I have been eyeing the wood versions though. ref http://woodforar.com/
or
https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator
or
http://www.blackgunswood.com/

I sure like the look of the walnut stock in that second link. If I could justify spending the money I'd buy one. I've always been a fan on walnut stocks, even on black rifles.

Tackleberry41
11-07-2018, 08:59 AM
The hogue fixed looks pretty good on a rifle, comfortable, light. No need for the stock spacer, comes out same length as the A2 without the butt plate. May swap it with my skeleton stock for the weight savings.

Fiddled around with swapping some stocks. Will have a fixed and M4 lower to swap out. And put the collapsing back on the 9mm with the heavy buffer I made. Made out of brass with a tungsten rod inside, longer so no need for a stock spacer it comes out to 11 ounces. A solid grass carbine buffer is 5.9 ounces.

The 450 BM needs more weight, a factory rifle buffer or heavy M4 it likes to leave cases still in the chamber. The rifle buffer w a tungsten rod was to much at 12oz. Can easily swap the steel weights for tungsten in steps. 2 weights gets you 6.7oz, 3 is 7.6oz, 4-8.4oz, 5-9.1oz. Easy math a tungsten weight is .8oz heavier than the steel ones.

And I will go the other way, no weights. Nearly got some 22hornet level 223 loads to cycle. Factory bolt, regular gas system, no weights in a rifle buffer and it nearly cycled.

Earlwb
11-07-2018, 10:48 AM
Another stock option is the Odin Works Zulu Stock. Adjustable and it has a minimalist style to it.
https://www.odinworks.com/Zulu_2_0_Adjustable_Stock_Kit_p/os-zulu-kit.htm

nekshot
11-07-2018, 11:12 AM
Another stock option is the Odin Works Zulu Stock. Adjustable and it has a minimalist style to it.
https://www.odinworks.com/Zulu_2_0_Adjustable_Stock_Kit_p/os-zulu-kit.htm

I kinda like that one. I believe I could make one kinda like it with a spring to absorb my sons 450BM he is assembling. I like my wood stock more all the time. I would love to have that minimalist stock but these things get more expensive the smaller they are. Aint gonna spend big buks on the guns stock area.

Tackleberry41
11-08-2018, 09:26 AM
Conclusion I reached was the 450bm is just not something to be shot with a carbine stock. You need buffer/bolt weight, hard to do with a carbine buffer. The extra weight really soaks up the recoil, I do not even have a brake on mine. Keep putting of buying one, not like they are cheap. Will probably buy a tap so I can make my own, or just buy a thread protector.

I like the hogue fixed, minimalist, lighter than an A2 stock, and much softer. Debating about swapping the hogue for the ACE, or just get another lower to put it on. Tho that means another upper...and another trigger...another sight to put on top.

Texas by God
11-17-2018, 10:36 PM
My nephew's Springfield Armory Saint has the most solid telescoping stock I've seen. It still rattles a little, though.

Gtek
11-18-2018, 10:05 AM
The big bores here have Ace stocks, 1" spacer up front and the 1" pad on rear (cause somebody gave me monkey arms). The rattle trap M4 stocks I use the 3M clear 1" chafe tape, I HATE that rattle. Pull stock all the way rear locking and put masking tape 90 across front to know where to stop. Slide off extension and starting at bottom of radius a piece on each side horizontal from rear to tape coming up and a cut to fit width filler at the 12 O'clock. Then cut strips for sides of vertical locking area as needed. Nice and firm and a little drag on movement, makes me happy!

Digger
11-18-2018, 11:30 AM
Thanks to the op for bringing this subject up.
Have a AR 10 and been contemplating what is available .
Lots to choose from , looking for a setup dealing with recoil issues ..
The suggestions here are valuable .

dhenry132
11-29-2018, 02:21 PM
A2 stocks all the way

yotatrd4x4
12-01-2018, 10:26 PM
I use either an A1 stock or a magpul moe rifle stock. Both are A1 length and I much prefer that length even though I'm 6'2" I just dont like a long stock and prefer the A1 length. Could be because I have a bunch of Ak pattern rifles with short stocks. Even at work when I qualify with an M4 I prefer it to be set to 3 or so setting which is close to an A1 length on a 4 position stock. Not sure on a 6 position.

NuJudge
12-07-2018, 10:11 PM
I like the Magpul UBR. It telescopes, and has no rattle. It gives you the same comb height, and therefore makes uniform head positioning easier.

With the AR, until I figured out this need for uniform head positioning, my groups wandered around the target by a couple MOA.