PDA

View Full Version : I found these dies....

StratsMan
10-21-2018, 03:40 PM
Found from an estate sale... They're RCBS 30 Carbine dies... a 3-die set... clearly, the decapper is missing from the sizing die, but there's a belling die and it has a decapper on it.... That decapper doesn't fit the sizing die, only the belling die.

I haven't see this kind of setup before; have I lived a sheltered life??? Why is there a decapper on the belling die?

TNsailorman
10-21-2018, 04:22 PM
That is an older set of dies. Most die companies started out using the de-capping die and expander die in the same die and did not de-cap on the sizing die. I have a set of .41 magnum that does it this way and at one time, I had a set of .38 specials with the same feature, both RCBS but I have seen several other brands that used the same way of de-capping. Works just fine either way. my experience anyway, james

Binky
10-21-2018, 06:26 PM
My first set of RCBS 38 special dies were set up the same. When I replaced the sizer die a few years later, the new die had a de-caper. I simply removed the pin from the belling die and lived happily ever after. I have bought several other older RCBS units set up the same way. I like the fact that the older pistol dies are caliber specific. 38spc,(which can be used for 357) 357 mag, 44 special and 44 mag. I like not having to mess with the settings and I even have bought complete sets (usually for less than the price of a seater die only) so I don't have to change out the seater stems. Some of the old Pacific 3 die sets were set up the same way. Sorry for getting a little off topic. Sometimes I BLAB on rather incessantly.

rbuck351
10-22-2018, 01:19 AM
I think most of the early dies were this way. Once powder through expander dies became popular for turret and progressive presses, it became necessary to move the decapper to the sizer die. This works on both single stage and progressives so they only have to make one type of die set At least I believe this accounts for the switch.

Jackpine
10-23-2018, 08:39 PM
I think all my pistol dies are like these. Am I that old? I know I asked, but no one really needs to answer that question.

Seriously, there is an advantage if you polish with dry media after sizing. The media does get in the primer pockets. Probably not likely that most folks would do in that order, cause all you younger folks have carbide dies and don't worry about cleaning off lube. Yeah, I am old!

skeettx
10-23-2018, 09:24 PM
These dies were made in 1974 and are of the old style :)

dbosman
10-24-2018, 07:46 PM
By the by, the expander for .30 carbine is good at opening up any .30 caliber for seating cast boolits.

StratsMan
10-24-2018, 11:31 PM
By the by, the expander for .30 carbine is good at opening up any .30 caliber for seating cast boolits.

Honestly, that's why I bought them... I don't shoot/load 30 Carbine, but I liked the idea of having that belling die.