PDA

View Full Version : Lee Production pot question

dmit
10-21-2018, 03:02 PM
Hello all. I have just required a older Lee Production IV ( I think ) and have a question about the spout. It seems to be quite large with a great deal of flow. When I pour I have to be oh so careful to open or it is just to much. Is this typical for this pot. I had years ago a Lyman that I used with several .45 Saeco molds and it worked perfectly but alas I sold all of the equipment . Can something be done to lessen the flow? Thanks

Dan

Mike W1
10-21-2018, 05:44 PM
Can't really answer your question even though I've been using them for years. I think you have to acquire a "touch" for the little buggers. What, besides a lot of experience, has helped me is I do not fill it clear full leaving it about an good inch below top of the rim. That kind of evens out the feel of the thing before getting down towards the bottom when you have to open it wide to get a similar flow. Actually I have 2 staggered so as to always have hot alloy available to feed it. Probably could fill the bottom one even less full than I do.

I don't think the spout itself is replaceable but the whole pot is and not very expensive as I recall.

ubetcha
10-21-2018, 05:51 PM
It may be possible the spout may have been drilled out larger by the previous owner to increase flow for some reason.

dmit
10-21-2018, 05:54 PM
I was thinking that was the case that previous owner drilled it out.

Grmps
10-21-2018, 06:58 PM
the production-pots do pour faster than the 4-20 -- it's just a learning curve

replacement parts ↓↓↓↓

https://leeprecision.com/parts/bullet-casting/electric-melters/production-pot-iv-parts/

POT/PRO ASSEMBLY EM1097

VALVE ROD EM1143

total (you only pay shipping and handling) $9.85

add NEW HEATER 500W120V EM1139

new total (you only pay shipping and handling) $14.11

Echo
10-21-2018, 11:53 PM
I used a friends Lee 10-pounder to cast some boolits a couple of days ago, and didn't like the extreme flow rate - so I bent the back of the actuating rod to reduce the flow - several times, as a matter of fact. Finally got it down to a level I could live with. Different from the Production Pot, I guess...

Mike W1
10-23-2018, 10:40 PM
Was looking at some notes tonight and saw this one some unknown soul had posted. Anyhow it might be something you could check with.

5/64" is the correct specification for the spout hole on Lee Pots. If that size
drill won't pass through a cold clean spout, the spout is clogged or damaged
and needs to be re-drilled to 5/64".

bbogue1
10-23-2018, 11:18 PM
The spout is replacable on the 4-20 pot. To see what it looks like see http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?368845-Lee-4-20-Pot-Plugs-Up-Why-How-do-I-stop-that