PDA

View Full Version : Starting over, Marlin 1894S

Remmy4477
10-21-2018, 08:04 AM
As usual at the gun show I bring something home.

This time a Marlin 1894S in 44 mag. Ballard rifling and the rifle is in pretty nice condition with an excellent bore.

The uberti 1873 went down the road with a new owner in the afternoon of the show. Hate to say it but was way disappointed in the uberti, beautiful rifle but I could not get it to shoot accurately at all. Maybe had it been in 44-40 instead of the 45 colt???

I do appreciate all the input and help with the 73 in my posts, tried several of them, all great ideas. I just ran out of steam trying to get this thing on paper at 100 meters.

Anyway the marlin should fill my needs for the pistol caliber silhouette shoots we have out here.
Going to work up a few loads for it. Add either a tang or receiver sight to it and have some fun. At least now I don't have to worry so much about a weak action, sloppy chamber and what not.
And quite certain I'll have questions about the 44 mag here soon.

Great bunch of folks here! Thanks all!

sghart3578
10-21-2018, 08:47 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your luck with the Uberti. One of those is on my list for a future buy. I am now re-thinking that.

I have an older Marlin 44 mag with microgroove rifling. I have excellent results with the Lee 429-200-RF and the 429-240-2R. I beagled both molds and size them to .432". I then tumble lube them or run them through my LAM with Randy's TAC-X or TAC-1.

I load either bullet over 8.5 gr of Unique or 7.5 gr of Bullseye.

Very accurate and fun.

Best of luck,

Steve in N CA

Remmy4477
10-21-2018, 09:01 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your luck with the Uberti. One of those is on my list for a future buy. I am now re-thinking that.

I have an older Marlin 44 mag with microgroove rifling. I have excellent results with the Lee 429-200-RF and the 429-240-2R. I beagled both molds and size them to .432". I then tumble lube them or run them through my LAM with Randy's TAC-X or TAC-1.

I load either bullet over 8.5 gr of Unique or 7.5 gr of Bullseye.

Very accurate and fun.

Best of luck,

Steve in N CA

I would not let my problems with the 73 deter you from one!
This particular rifle was an early one, 4 digit serial # so probably made late 80's early 90's? And was in great condition, maybe in too good of shape for it's age? May have set in a safe most of its life due to inaccuracy?? Who knows?
It was probably one in a million that just would not shoot well with out a lot of work?

Thanks for the input on the loads, seen some similar elsewhere. Have plenty of unique and bullseye both, so thats what I will be starting with.