PDA

View Full Version : Christmas 2018. Lyman Gen 5 or RCBS Chargemaster or???

jonp
10-19-2018, 05:56 PM
SWMBO has told me to pick the electronic powder measure of my choice for my Christmas present along with a tumbler or sonic system. :bigsmyl2:

So which powder measure does everyone recommend? RCBS Chargemaster, Lyman Gen 5 or something else? How about a tumbler. I was thinking of trying a harbor freight one to see if I liked it before going a serious more expensive tumbler route. Or maybe a sonic is good enough?

My sweetie knows nothing about reloading and casting just that it keeps me occupied, lol

WFO2
10-19-2018, 06:23 PM
Personally I like the RCBS charge master it has not failed me yet .I would go with a Rebel 17 steel pin tumbler for my brass. STM carries them . I had a Thumbler tumbler steel pin that worked fine as well .

Markopolo
10-19-2018, 07:26 PM
I personally have the Lyman Gen5.. just love it!! Totally reliable!.. but when I purchased it, I could have gone either way with the chargmaster.. they are both very reliable, the RCBS could probably take a direct hit with a point blank 12g, but the Lyman gen 5 is lighter, and much smaller footprint on the reloading bench... I paid 200 bucks on sale for the gen 5, charge master lite will cost a bit more and is similar footprint. I love my Lyman though.... so I am Biased

Livin_cincy
10-19-2018, 08:54 PM
FYI- If you buy from Brownells you can return the unit and get a refund if you are not happy... They have a very short warranty period.

dragon813gt
10-19-2018, 09:25 PM
Chargemaster has been around for a long time and is extremely reliable. You can adjust the settings if it’s not working how you want it to. I’ve found no need to mess w/ the factory settings but I could. Have not used the Lyman but I don’t buy anything w/ their name on it anymore. One bad customer service experience was all it took. Even though I have not been happy w/ every interaction I’ve had w/ RCBS CS you know they want to help you. Buy the Chargmaster, you won’t regret it.

I’m assuming you’re talking about a tumbler for SS media. I see no need for that method of cleaning. To much wasted time and shiny brass doesn’t shoot any better. I use an US on rifle brass in conjunction w/ a vibratory tumbler and the results are clean brass inside and out. They don’t look brand new but that doesn’t make them shoot any better.

jonp
10-20-2018, 04:16 AM
Yes, I'm talking about a tumbler for Steel media or an ultrasonic.

winelover
10-20-2018, 07:35 AM
My ChargeMaster and Model "B" are decades old. Totally reliable. RCBS's warranty is second to none. Parts for Thumbler's are available from aftermarket online sellers, besides the factory.

Winelover

dragon813gt
10-20-2018, 09:14 AM
Yes, I'm talking about a tumbler for Steel media or an ultrasonic.

If you’re buying an ultrasonic don’t buy one branded for reloading. You can buy unbranded ones on Amazon/eBay that have a larger capacity, more transducers and better heaters for less money. I did a short review of one on here. Don’t remember when but I need to follow up on it. I have brass ready to be cleaned.

jonp
10-21-2018, 10:48 AM
Much difference between the Chargemaster Lite, Hornady or Lyman Gen6? All look similar to me although the Hornady and Lyman are $20-$30 cheaper.

I was thinking of either an Ultrasonic or a tumbler and was leaning towards trying a Harbor Freight cheapo to see if they work ok. I can get the dual cylinder one with coupon for about $40.

35isit
10-23-2018, 04:37 PM
Much difference between the Chargemaster Lite, Hornady or Lyman Gen6? All look similar to me although the Hornady and Lyman are $20-$30 cheaper.

I was thinking of either an Ultrasonic or a tumbler and was leaning towards trying a Harbor Freight cheapo to see if they work ok. I can get the dual cylinder one with coupon for about $40.

I have the Lyman DPS1200. Love it. Had it for about 10 years or so. Great for working up loads. I load a lot of SR4759 and 5744.

I also have the Harbor Freight dual drum tumbler. Love it also. Wish I had one when I first started reloading 35+ years ago. In hind sight I wish I had the big Frankford Arsenal unit. But I only clean 1000-1500 cases a year. So spreading over a few days doesn't matter much to me. IMHO I don't know why anyone would use a a tumbler and dry media. I haven't used mine since I bought the HF unit.

YMMV