PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix, Scottsdale Tempe areas

MT Gianni
10-17-2018, 07:36 PM
We will be in the Scottsdale area next month for a week and wondered about must see ideas. Will watch some AFL games and take a day to revisit Kartchner Caverns and Tombstone. What else ya got?

tunnug
10-17-2018, 07:57 PM
Kartchner caverns are wet and living caves, on the way there you'll pass Collosal caves, an older dry cave, always fun to visit and since you'll be close to Tucson there's the AZ/Sonora desert museum and on the way there you'll pass by Old Tucson Studios an attraction where a lot of old westerns were made.

Mal Paso
10-18-2018, 09:56 AM
Dillan, Scottsdale Gun Club, Ben Avery Shooting Facility. LOL

KMac
10-18-2018, 10:54 AM
If you get time with nothing better to do you make the trip to Prescott. It is about a 2 hour drive from Scottsdale and is beautiful as you travel up into the mountains. When you get there you will recognize the scenery because you have seen it in a lot of old cowboy movies. Tom Mix lived there from what I was told so he didn't have to travel back and forth. I go there for work every so often and it is my favorite place in AZ.
Ruger has a facility there where they make their Semi-Auto pistols but they are not public from what I gather so you cannot do a tour of the factory.

marlin39a
10-18-2018, 12:20 PM
I hope you have a reservation to get into Kartchner Caverns. Best to check. Spend a night in Sierra Vista. See Bisbee if you are going to Tombstone.

MT Gianni
10-18-2018, 01:28 PM
I hope you have a reservation to get into Kartchner Caverns. Best to check. Spend a night in Sierra Vista. See Bisbee if you are going to Tombstone.

I agree, we spent a night in Bisbee last trip.

tunnug
10-18-2018, 03:53 PM

I took the grandkids there, we made the reservation by phone, they told us walk ins are welcomed but since each tour is limited the ones with reservations will go first, they have multiple tours throughout the day.
But then again, they may have changed their policy since then.

am44mag
10-18-2018, 04:00 PM
Kartchner caverns are wet and living caves, on the way there you'll pass Collosal caves, an older dry cave, always fun to visit and since you'll be close to Tucson there's the AZ/Sonora desert museum and on the way there you'll pass by Old Tucson Studios an attraction where a lot of old westerns were made.

The AZ/Sonora Desert Museum is absolutely amazing. I spend several hours there and could have easily spent all day there just looking at all the wildlife and plants. You will not regret going there.

I have heard that the Pima Air and Space Museum is really good too. We tried to go there but spent too long at the Desert Museum (go to the air and space museum early. NOT an hour or two before they close because they won't let you in.). It looked impressive from the outside.

Tombstone is always a fun thing to visit too.

fiberoptik
10-19-2018, 01:40 AM
Yuma prison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Handloader109
10-19-2018, 08:16 AM
Desert museum is worth a couple of hours.
Just enjoy the scenery.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Echo
10-19-2018, 12:46 PM
If in the area, Pima Air & Space Museum is a must. Pima Air & Space Museum is a world-class air museum, the largest non-governmental air & space museum in the world, with over 300 airplanes on exhibit, and several onesies & twosies - the only B-18B in the world, for example, and the only NA F-107 in the world (maybe one other - don't 'member). Only Martin PBM-5A Amphib, and so on. I worked there several years driving a tram, until I got crosswise with the HR person. A trained management consultant (me) shouldn't work where there is poor management - but I digress.
If you wish, I will meet you there and give you a tour. I doubt that I can comp you in, but come early, we'll tour, then have lunch and tour some more. Figure on spending the day. PM me if interested.

marlin39a
10-20-2018, 04:33 PM
There's a great steakhouse in Sonoita, south of Tucson. I believe at the intersection of 82 and 83. It's in the middle of nowhere. Called the Stakeout. Also wine country.