PDA

View Full Version : Holsters for carrying an N frame revolver?

Dpmsman
10-17-2018, 01:08 PM
I am in the process of purchasing a Smith and Wesson model 57 with a 6 inch barrel from another member of this great forum. I was planning on caring it around the farm for shooting targets of opportunity and varmints. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas for a good holster? I was thinking about getting a vertical shoulder holster and was wondering if anybody had any experience carrying a large revolver in that type of rig. Any likes, dislikes or recommendations.

Thanks

osteodoc08
10-17-2018, 04:52 PM
If on the hip, be prepared for it to bump and ride up on any seating surface. I went to 4” for general carry because of this. When hunting with a 6” I have some older leather my N frames ride in. Never had a shoulder or Alaska rig for a revolver but have a chest rig for my G20.

megasupermagnum
10-17-2018, 06:09 PM
If you are referring to mine, I can check what the holster is. It is an old leather hip holster. Even back when I was 16 I carried my dads model 57-2 in that holster on the hip with a gun belt, no problems for hunting. The holster isn't for sale, but a good leather like the simply rugged pancake holsters work just fine. It would probably be too long to ride in a car though. That's were that 4" you wanted might be better.

Tatume
10-17-2018, 06:30 PM
Galco shoulder holsters are comfortable, and I enjoy wearing them. I have several. The 6" N-frame revolvers fit the VHS shoulder holsters.

Drm50
10-17-2018, 07:06 PM
I've had them all, or have them. Most of my Ns are 6"-61/2" guns. I have one of each in 83/8" to.
The most comfortable and acessable holster I have found for 6"ers is Bianchi Cyclone 111 cross draw
The 83/8" is a PIA to carry no matter what you put it in. If you are in the field with sole intent to
hunt or shot your 57 a good quality hi ride - thumb break is nice. I don't like anything hanging and
flapping on my side. I have a pancake but I don't like it that much. I just spent $100 on a Elpaso
Saddelry carved and lined holster for a 6" N. I think it goes for close to $200, now that I have it I'm
afraid to wear it in the brush and tear it up. There is no doubt a 4" is nicer to carry but I don't shot
them as well as 6"ers. I only have 3, 4" Ns and they are NIBs - P&Rs, they ain't for shoot'n they are
for the guy with a 6"NIB who must have a 4".

fivegunner
10-17-2018, 07:24 PM
I carry my N frame revolvers in Milt Sparks 200AW holsters I have 3.5in. 4in. 5in. 6in. and 6.5inch S&W N frames There not cheap and it takes 6 to 9 months to get one , I buy the double lined version. They work well. :lovebooli

salvadore
10-17-2018, 09:21 PM
DPMS, I carry a 4" N frame in an old Bianchi X2100. It is handy and instead of having 40+ ounces pulling your pants south acts as a suspender to keep them in place. I'd look at shoulder holsters.

357Mag
10-18-2018, 12:13 AM
DPM -

Howdy!

Tried wearing my former 6” M-28 in a Bianchi shoulder holster, and did not care much for the whole rig.

DRM50 gave you good advice on the Cyclone 111 crossdraw. You can also wear it strong sided, and draw using a fwd muzzle rake that the holster would provide.

A Bianchi 5BHL is another good bread-N-butter holster for “N”s.

What I’ve been working on wearing out for years now, is a Bianchi#4001 “Cyclone II”; which is a great plastic and ballistic nylon holster. My application is a 4” custom heavy barrelled “N” frame .357Mag.

For concealed carry w/ the same 4” “N” frame mentioned above, I absolutely swear by my custom Ken Null ultra- high ride holster, that features a pronounced fwd muzzle rake ( worn on my art, strong side ). I use it w/ a vest or jacket, weather dependent.

For lighter summer wear, I’ve used a Bianchi “Pistol Pocket “designed for a M-19, and stretched-out to fit my
“N”s. Used it to carry the gun in the mide small of my back, w/ any excEss barrel length oriented downwards towards or into my.....well..... you know. For both 6” and 5” barrelled “N” frames, I eventually wore a hole through my jeans where the muzzle wear point was. But, it worked unde even a light summer shirt.
I have 2 of their Pistol Pockets thusly modified. They clip onto the belt.

Hope this helps.

With regards,
357Mag

LUBEDUDE
10-18-2018, 04:01 AM
I agree with Drm50 and 357Mag, I have done extensive hiking using the Cyclone holster for my model 29 and find it comfortable.

PbHurler
10-18-2018, 06:12 AM
I agree with Drm50 and 357Mag, I have done extensive hiking using the Cyclone holster for my model 29 and find it comfortable.

We all should have a party!

Been using the Bianchi 111 Cyclone holsters for all my N Frames (6" & 4" anyway), (L Frames as well). If I pick up a new to me Smith, and I don't currently have a holster that fits, I purchase a 111 Cyclone for it.

Very comfortable in the crossdraw when seated in the truck or 4-wheeler.

Mr_Sheesh
10-18-2018, 06:28 AM
Safariland has some - All with positive rake or neutral rake (i.e. muzzle backwards, or straight down); Personally I like negative rake (i.e. muzzle forward) as that lets me keep my wrist locked on drawing the weapon (I don't want to break my 1911 training, for revolver usage.)

So for revolvers I tend to get cross draw holsters in Leather that suit me; I've found some "two position" leather holsters, with thumb break, that work well for me, they're either neutral rake or negative rake depending on how you put the belt through them. I do like Thumb Break as retention of my revolver is good :) I'd hate to have a pricey S&W fall out somewhere in the boonies...

rintinglen
10-18-2018, 09:13 AM
My 8 3/8's M-29 rides in a Bianchi X-15 shoulder holster, but I had excellent service from an old Bucheimer Clark shoulder rig as well. I also like a cross draw rig for 6 inch revolvers.229059

Drm50
10-18-2018, 11:04 AM
None of my choices are for concealment, I only carry Ns or Ks in the field. If I'm hunting with the
gun the gun is not considered in the way. If you are engaged in doing chores and getting in and out
of vehicles the 111 cyclone is best I've found. Only complaint I have about them is you have to do
some stretching when they are new. They are built for standard guns. All my S&Ws have Target trigger & Hammer. You have to stretch hammer "strap" for Target Hammer.

Blacky Montana
10-18-2018, 01:11 PM
Check out Mernickle Holsters. Top quality and outstanding service. I use one of their PS6-SA High Ride holsters to carry a Uberti Cattleman with 4.5" barrel, as well as a original Vaquero with 5.5" barrel. I use these same holsters both open carry and concealed. Holds both high and tight to body. Carries perfect and comfortable. Just make sure you wear a actual pistol belt. I wear a Crossbreed belt always.

Blacky

megasupermagnum
10-18-2018, 02:30 PM
I just went and checked the holster, it says Bianchi 5BH.

Dpmsman
10-18-2018, 06:00 PM
Thanks guys, that gives me some options to look into.

wl620
10-19-2018, 09:51 PM
I regularly carry a 4” 625 around the place. I have it in an el paso tom three persons rig with the strap and snap, not the fastest rig around but I’m not after speed i just wated good leather to carry it in and not lose it. it work but I would’nt mind trying a shoulder rig, have considered el paso’s tanker outfit just dont want to lay out that much cash to try something. I also sometimes carry a 5 1/2” redhawk 45 colt in an el paso thumb break that is a good holster and a heavy gun.

W.R.Buchanan
10-19-2018, 10:07 PM
Check out Mernickle Holsters. Top quality and outstanding service. I use one of their PS6-SA High Ride holsters to carry a Uberti Cattleman with 4.5" barrel, as well as a original Vaquero with 5.5" barrel. I use these same holsters both open carry and concealed. Holds both high and tight to body. Carries perfect and comfortable. Just make sure you wear a actual pistol belt. I wear a Crossbreed belt always.

Blacky

I learned that you need to wear the Holster on a dedicated belt just like he ^^^ said. I have a Mernickle Thumb Break for my S&W 696 and a Mernickle Belt to wear it on. Then you use belt keepers to hold in in place so it isn't sliding down your butt all day. I also have a Mernickle for my 5" SBH. That gun weighs 3 pounds and without the Belt Keepers it would be on the ground around my ankles in about 5 steps.

Note the belt Keepers in front and behind the holster itself.

Randy

Shuz
10-20-2018, 10:21 AM
Wearing suspenders on my pants keeps everything in place. Yeah, I know it makes you look old, but hey it works for me! Besides I am old and don't care what others may think.

El Bibliotecario
10-20-2018, 08:01 PM
Wearing suspenders on my pants keeps everything in place. Yeah, I know it makes you look old, but hey it works for me! Besides I am old and don't care what others may think.

While I have never worn suspenders, I fully concur that the support system is as important as the holster, which is why a good belt is critical, whether trouser belt or separate pistol belt. Too often people scrimp in this area.

I prefer carrying a six inch N frame in El Paso Saddlery's M1942 holster, but recommending favorite holster to folks who aren't built like me is generally pointless. The best response to a holster query I ever read was, 'anyone who carries a handgun in a holster invariably ends of with a box of the ones which didn't work.'

RJM52
10-21-2018, 09:33 AM
It is too bad that the Roy Baker pancake style holsters are no longer available... I have one that I carry my 6" 57 in and it can be worn strong side or weak side almost like a shoulder holster...

I just got back from a hunting trip and used one of these for three days with a 4" Redhawk... Inxpensive and very comfortable... This is for 6" guns...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bandolier-Shoulder-Holster-for-6-Revolver-Fits-RUGER-S-W-COLT/390549720973?hash=item5aee93cf8d:g:jTIAAMXQQtNR0xf 4:rk:3:pf:0

I have four different ones of these that will carry 95% of the guns I own.

Another favorite for big guns is the Simply Rugged line of holsters.

Bob

waco
10-21-2018, 01:10 PM
MidwayUSA has a handy "holster finder" search function. Very easy to use and quickly navigates through all the BS you DON"T want to see. Check it out.
https://www.midwayusa.com/holster-finder/

waco
10-21-2018, 01:13 PM
A quick search for your revolver shows eight different holsters suitable for your gun. Two are shoulder rigs. I like the Galco because you can wear it strong side or crossdraw.

Groo
10-24-2018, 10:27 PM
Groo here
Stoner holsters has a vertical shoulder rig that rotates to make draw easier.

Drm50
10-24-2018, 11:04 PM
I have a Roy's Pancake for Ruger SBH 71/2", I used it for awhile but it was uncomfortable to me. I'm
having a 3" wide Ranger Belt made custom right now, just for toting 6" N frames. I'm having a slot
like in a western rig put in it. I'm going to have a thumb break with exposed trigger with a back flap
like a Hunter 1100. Holster will ride top of belt and flap will pass through slot and strap around it.
It will ride high and stay in place. There is nothing more misrable than heavy gun trying to turn over
or shifting position. I have a Lawrence western belt that I carry 22s the same way and it's comfortable and out of the way.

Kraschenbirn
10-25-2018, 04:55 PM
For years, I carried a 6" M28 for a trail gun in a Brauer Bros. shoulder holster. Only complaint I ever had was that the cross-straps were too narrow but some soft suede sewed onto the chafe points cured that. The M28 is long gone but still have the holster 'cause it's a pretty good fit for my 6" M586.

Bill

Bazoo
10-25-2018, 05:01 PM
The wife has a smith 686 with 4" barrel. She's a petite little thing, so its a cannon on her. Well, before the house burnt down, we had an open top pancake holster for her, ETW brand. Guy makes them and sells them on ebay, hes in NC. It was good stuff, and about 65.00 at the time. Mighty hard to find a pancake holster thats open top for a revolver.

Rick R
10-25-2018, 07:57 PM
I like Simply Rugged for everyday carry. The Mernickle high ride isn’t bad either but I feel like the Simply Rugged Sourdough protects the gun better. A 6” N frame is a big gun to haul around every day when you are actually working no matter what holster you stick it in.

Dan Cash
10-27-2018, 08:56 AM
Springfield on this site operates Whyte Leather Works and makes some good holsters at a fair price. His are custom ordered but the delivery time is fast.

lightman
10-27-2018, 06:51 PM
I've carried several "N" frame Smiths in Bianchi shoulder holsters. Sometimes you can find them used at gun shows at giveaway prices.