PDA

View Full Version : Would this be a good move....or regrettable. 44Mag -- 45 LC

redhawk0
10-17-2018, 12:03 PM
Just want some opinions. I have a Ruger Redhawk in 44 Mag 5.5" barrel blued with Pachmayr grips.

I'm starting to feel some arthritis in my hands and was thinking of trading it in for another big bore but with a bit less recoil. I thought of the 45 LC.

Any thoughts on doing this...Anyone else ever make this switch. I would likely get another Redhawk.

redhawk

kungfustyle
10-17-2018, 12:13 PM
You can always shoot 44 specials out of the 44 mag. I'd go that rout and you don't even need to get a new set of reloading die or bullet molds.

toallmy
10-17-2018, 12:20 PM
If you load your own you can make them what you want , I'm with kungfustile - but by all means buying another handgun is fun .

Grmps
10-17-2018, 12:21 PM
Both guns are very comparable.

I would suggest searching for the lightest accurate load for the 44 mag and keep it if you like the gun.

ericandelaine1975
10-17-2018, 12:37 PM
Both guns are very comparable.

I would suggest searching for the lightest accurate load for the 44 mag and keep it if you like the gun.Yes they are. Depending on how you load it will depend on the recoil. I have 45's that barely kick them I have my hunting loads that are a handful.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thumbcocker
10-17-2018, 01:43 PM
The .45 Colt gave me fits trying to get the same accuracy as my .44s. I would look at a load of 9.0 of power pistol or 10.0 of Unique with standard weight boolits in a .44 before I jumped into a new caliber. I have one .44 that loves Keith boolits over 6.5 of red dot. You can use any standard pressure .45 colt load in a .44 magnum with the same weight boolit and never get into trouble. The .44 magnum is an extremely versatile cartridge. If your gun shoots well for you play with some different loads before you send it down the road.

dverna
10-17-2018, 01:54 PM
I will be blunt....it would be a foolish decision. I had no problems getting accurate light reloads out of my .44 Mag. IMHO the .44 Mag is the best big bore revolver caliber available. Many good bullets for it and about as much recoil as most people can handle when loaded hot...yet retains accuracy even with lighter loads. And if for some reason someone is forced to buy factory ammo, it is widely available in both the Mag and Special loadings.

jmort
10-17-2018, 01:56 PM
The .45 Colt is a beautiful thing. Operating at a lower pressure to get the same ballistics as the .44 mag is nice, and the history is epic. But in the end, if you are up to it the .44 magnum can produce more energy with its smaller caliber. I like big/heavy slow bullets. The .45 Colt is all I could ever ask for.
Some want more, .454, .475, .480, and .500. Use what works for you.

John Ross
10-17-2018, 02:04 PM
This makes no sense. You are a handloader, judging from your other posts. Load your .44 to whatever lower recoil level suits you.

jmort
10-17-2018, 02:07 PM
".44 Mag is the best big bore revolver caliber available."

Why???
You could never prove it is the best. Never. Ever.
There is no such thing.

LUCKYDAWG13
10-17-2018, 02:26 PM
this would be fun big bore and easy on your hands but i would just keep it and down load it but if i was just looking to punch paper and use for
HD https://www.ruger.com/products/redhawk/specSheets/5050.html

redhawk0
10-17-2018, 02:56 PM
OK....you've all convinced me.... (In the back of my mind...i was trying to get justification for a new revolver....but.....) I have some 210 WC and 240 RN loads that I've loaded with 231, RedDot in the past and they have been a lot of fun. My hunting loads have become...well...painful as of late. I think you're all correct when you say load them down and I'm going to agree. I'll shoot up the last of my high pressure hunting loads...then start finding a lighter charge that I can live with. The 44 Redhawk stays in the arsenal.

redhawk

Thumbcocker
10-17-2018, 03:27 PM
I will never be a part of a man not getting a new revolver if he fancies it but I will do all I can to keep a good gun in a good home.

ericandelaine1975
10-17-2018, 03:27 PM
I will never be a part of a man not getting a new revolver if he fancies it but I will do all I can to keep a good gun in a good home.Amen brother.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Drm50
10-17-2018, 03:36 PM
I no longer have any Ruger DAs, have a bucket of S&Ws. In m29 & m24 shooting 172gr WC over
8.5gr Unique. You can shoot them all day long. I'm in the market for a 200gr range WC mold which
I plan to propel at approx 800fps. I have a few SWC & RN molds for 44s but don't use them much
anymore. My deer gun is a old 3screw SBH that I shoot 240jhp/ 22.5gr H-2400. My S&Ws are for
target & plinking. I did take a deer with a m25 45Colt with a 242gr WC/ 12.0gr W-630 at 750fps.
At moderate ranges you don't have to shoot barn burners. 44 & 45 cal bullets will drop the "oil
pressure" of man & beast just from the hole it puts in them. I have S&W 44 Russian brass that I
load up with RBs 120gr .430" dia/ 3.0gr Unique at 470fps. I shoot these in basement at about 20'
and even the SBH will dump them in one hole. Using 44sp brass I had to go 3.5gr Unique to get
same results.

smkummer
10-17-2018, 03:43 PM
I think you would just do more work to where you are now. Often it takes more trial and error with 45 colt to get the out of box accuracy with 44 magnum. And I am a big fan of 45 colt owning more than I can count for now. But also a big fan of 44 special and one 44 magnum. It’s been at least 5 years since I fired a full power 44 magnum load, but 44 special ( plusP), I fire a lot.

redhawk0
10-17-2018, 03:56 PM
I no longer have any Ruger DAs, have a bucket of S&Ws. In m29 & m24 shooting 172gr WC over
8.5gr Unique. You can shoot them all day long. I'm in the market for a 200gr range WC mold which
I plan to propel at approx 800fps. I have a few SWC & RN molds for 44s but don't use them much
anymore. My deer gun is a old 3screw SBH that I shoot 240jhp/ 22.5gr H-2400. My S&Ws are for
target & plinking. I did take a deer with a m25 45Colt with a 242gr WC/ 12.0gr W-630 at 750fps.
At moderate ranges you don't have to shoot barn burners. 44 & 45 cal bullets will drop the "oil
pressure" of man & beast just from the hole it puts in them. I have S&W 44 Russian brass that I
load up with RBs 120gr .430" dia/ 3.0gr Unique at 470fps. I shoot these in basement at about 20'
and even the SBH will dump them in one hole. Using 44sp brass I had to go 3.5gr Unique to get
same results.

Yeah...I just looked up my WC mold...its a LEE 208gr DC #90334....however, when I look up that LEE part number today its been reassigned to a Quick Trim die for the 25-06. I think I purchased this mold new back in the early 90s.

I bought a RB .445" mold (Lyman...single cavity) just for it's handles off Ebay a while back. I was just going to use it for parts but I might try to cast a few and give them a go in the 44 over the winter. If I have to size them down to .430" I can do that too....but given the surface area where it touches bore...I don't think I'll need to as long as I can get the loaded round to chamber in the cylinder.

redhawk

osteodoc08
10-17-2018, 04:49 PM
No need for new. Either load 44 special loads, or light 180-200 gr 44 mag loads. If you’re having arthritis issues, get a model 27 and shoot 38 WC loads. So long as it goes bang, I’m a pretty happy camper.

DougGuy
10-17-2018, 04:55 PM
If you just HAVE to buy something, buy a copy of QuickLoad and have fun conjuring up all the loads you could possibly tailor for the amount of recoil you can stand. Check your load data against published data and/or data on powder mfgr's websites to make sure nothing is out of the ordinary, and DON'T download W296/H110 below the starting charges.

I would keep the 44. I have loaded for both 44mag and 45 Colt for decades, I really haven't found anything that one will do but the other won't.

redhawk0
10-17-2018, 04:58 PM
No need for new. Either load 44 special loads, or light 180-200 gr 44 mag loads. If you’re having arthritis issues, get a model 27 and shoot 38 WC loads. So long as it goes bang, I’m a pretty happy camper.

Thanx for the tip...I will have a Dan Wesson 357...but I have to wait for it...I gave it to my father back when I graduated college as a thank you gift for helping me get through....I won't get it until he passes...so I'm not in any hurry for it.

I do have a 38spl snubby...and that's a lot of fun to shoot. I primarily shoot 158 SWC or RN in it. I should break down and get a WC design for the 38 as well...Anyway.... for a mid-caliber...I do still have fun at the range.

I'll admit though...its pretty hard to beat the fun of a 22 LR pistol. You can really bang though a lot of ammo and it doesn't cost much. And with 22 ammo availability today...I don't mind grabbing a few boxes now that I've become a hoarder (and know I can replace it)...hahaha

redhawk

Walks
10-17-2018, 05:21 PM
I've been loading .44MAG for COWBOY ACTION SHOOTING for my Chiropractor for 15+yrs. The load he favors is a 240gr RNFP over 5.5grs of TITEGROUP. The Patient who started him in CAS, loaded this load for him before I took over after that Friend/Patient passed.

It's a bit dirty, but that's what tumblers are for. It's accurate at 25yds in Revolver& 50yrds in Rifle. As a matter of fact I use the same load for plinking in my .44MAG Carbine.

I've also used 9.5grs UNIQUE under a 245grs KEITH Bullet for 25yd Target work.

I load std loads in .45COLT. It's a fun round, RUGER; load up/down, experiment. I load COWBOY LOADS, mild SWC paper loads, Heavy loads for the RUGERS.
STD for COLT.

Isn't that why WE BUY NEW GUNS.

9.3X62AL
10-17-2018, 05:32 PM
As maturity dawned upon me, the notion of beating my hands all to flinders shooting magnum revolvers lost its luster. The 41s went down the road, and 90% of my magnum revolver shooting these days gets done with "standard-weight" cast SWCs running 900-1000 FPS. I have the same platform the OP spoke of--a blued Redhawk in 44 with 5.5" barrel, plus a S&W 629 Mountain Gun x 4". Lyman #429421 atop 8.0 to 9.0 grains of Unique and given a moderate roll crimp will provide the velocities mentioned above. In the Redhawk, these loads are quite docile; in the Mountain Gun these loads are more recoil than 44 Specials, but far less than SAAMI-spec full-snort 44 Magnum. 45 Colt (Ruger), 357 Magnum, and 327 Federal/32 H&R Magnum get the same loading regimen. A SWC running 1000 FPS is an effective and efficient harvester of game and varmints--just match the caliber diameter to the critter being pursued.

Drm50
10-17-2018, 06:49 PM
Yeah...I just looked up my WC mold...its a LEE 208gr DC #90334....however, when I look up that LEE part number today its been reassigned to a Quick Trim die for the 25-06. I think I purchased this mold new back in the early 90s.

I bought a RB .445" mold (Lyman...single cavity) just for it's handles off Ebay a while back. I was just going to use it for parts but I might try to cast a few and give them a go in the 44 over the winter. If I have to size them down to .430" I can do that too....but given the surface area where it touches bore...I don't think I'll need to as long as I can get the loaded round to chamber in the cylinder.

redhawk
I hate Lee bullets with the ribs instead of grease grooves. I had one in 357 and my m27 shot them
all over the place. I would like to get a Lyman or RCBS in 200gr range. I got on the list for one on
the forum but sign up must be slow. If one of these molds hits classifieds it's gone in minutes.
On the ball subject I do run them through 430 sizing die and Alox them. Probably unnessary at that
speed shouldn't lead anyway. For grins I did some double ball loads. They aren't accurate for gallery
shooting but on DA they can make you look like Munden on 2 liter bottles at close range.

redhawk0
10-17-2018, 08:03 PM
I hate Lee bullets with the ribs instead of grease grooves. I had one in 357 and my m27 shot them
all over the place. I would like to get a Lyman or RCBS in 200gr range. I got on the list for one on
the forum but sign up must be slow. If one of these molds hits classifieds it's gone in minutes.
On the ball subject I do run them through 430 sizing die and Alox them. Probably unnessary at that
speed shouldn't lead anyway. For grins I did some double ball loads. They aren't accurate for gallery
shooting but on DA they can make you look like Munden on 2 liter bottles at close range.

Thanx for the info on your RB method. The 208gr WC was a grease grove boolit. It is a rather shallow groove though...but it would hold enough lube to be effective for speeds in the 650-800fps range.

redhawk

Walks
10-17-2018, 11:11 PM
I've had that LEE WC mold for 30+yrs.
Cast of 20/1 over 6.0grs of UNIQUE, makes a light, accurate & pleasant load.
Every time I see one on flea-bay, I always get out bid.

dhom
10-18-2018, 05:31 AM
Just want some opinions. I have a Ruger Redhawk in 44 Mag 5.5" barrel blued with Pachmayr grips.

I'm starting to feel some arthritis in my hands and was thinking of trading it in for another big bore but with a bit less recoil. I thought of the 45 LC.

Any thoughts on doing this...Anyone else ever make this switch. I would likely get another Redhawk.

redhawk

No doubt you should buy another revolver but, getting rid of the .44 would be a mistake.

country gent
10-18-2018, 03:56 PM
The 44 can be loaded down to comfortable levels or even 44 spl loads used. Another recoil reducing technique is to go to a lighter bullet instead of the240-270 grn most favor work up a light load using 180-200 grn bullets that fill a lot of the case like the above wadcutter does. You still have good load density but with a much lighter powder charge and lighter bullet.

charlie b
10-18-2018, 10:11 PM
I say get rid of that Redhawk and get a real gun, like a .45LC.

Box up the Redhawk and send it to my address. I will take good care of it for you, shooting light loads in it all day long.

ROFLMAO I do like to crack myself up. :)

PS 20 years ago I wore out my wrists with hot .45LC in a Ruger BH. I have since gone to lighter recoil guns. 9mm, light .38 loads in my .357, .223 and .308 heavy barrel rifles.

MostlyLeverGuns
10-19-2018, 09:07 AM
I would simply load the 44 Mag to whatever I found comfortable, if you like the accuracy of your current revolver. It seems to be easier to find accurate 44 Mags than 45 Colts due to the wide variances of chamber throats on the many different 45 Colts. If there is a certain 45 Colt you like, you should give it a try. Then there are the 45 ACP revolvers?

Bigslug
10-19-2018, 10:37 PM
I think if you're looking to dial down the pain factor, a .44's smaller case will prove superior.

My Dad's got a few osteo-arthritis issues that we've been having to ponder work-arounds for; light loads for the handguns, 1911 in 9mm, that sort of thing. . . There's DARN little that a .357 can't do. . .and they HAVE made Redhawks in it - are currently doing a couple of 8-shot models in fact: https://ruger.com/products/redhawk/specSheets/5060.html . The cool thing there is that it's the same external size as the big-bore versions, but with smaller holes drilled in it - -more weight / less recoil.

am44mag
10-20-2018, 03:34 AM

redhawk

I see no reason to switch to a 45 Colt if you are already set up for 44 Mag. Either a lightly loaded 44 mag or any loading of 44 special would probably serve you well in any endeavor you choose to partake in.

If you want something real soft shooting, just load up some 44 specials with Trail Boss.

Potsy
10-20-2018, 03:31 PM
I love my .45 Colt, but I'd not swap a good .44 for one. I always figured if I had a good .44 Mag, it'd see a lot of 250K's or something close at 1000fps. Been loading 429421's over 8 grains of Unique for a friend's .44 Redhawk. He says it shoots better than he can (I've never shot it, oddly), undersized bullets and all.
FWIW, a .45 Colt, in a give frame size, will likely kick marginally harder than a .44 with apples-to-apples loads, as the .45 will be lighter, given the larger holes. Whether or not it's enough to matter is subjective.

jonp
10-21-2018, 04:46 PM
I've used both in a Super Blackhawk 44Mag and a similar barrel length 45LC. I found the 45LC much more pleasant to shoot with recoil more of a "push" than a hard "snap". I'd recommend anyone make the change if they have wrist or hand problems and I can say after shooting both I've had little interest in returning to the 44Mag as I can't think of what I could do with that caliber that cast handloads in 45LC could not accomplish.

Grmps
10-21-2018, 07:08 PM
I found that a larger grip that fits your hand comfortably helps.

44 - 45 is like the Chevy/Ford/Dodge argument :p

bob208
10-22-2018, 03:44 PM
you already own the .44mag and dies and mold. and you already have it set up for your hands. just lighten up on the powder charge and be happy and money ahead.

redhawk0
10-22-2018, 04:11 PM
you already own the .44mag and dies and mold. and you already have it set up for your hands. just lighten up on the powser charge and be happy and money ahead.

Yes...this is now my plan....I'm keeping the Redhawk for sure.

Regarding the 38 loads discussed earlier on this page...i just purchased a Lyman 35891 WC mold (148gr). I think I'll give it a try with the snubby 38 this winter. Looking forward to pretty round holes in the paper.

redhawk

jonp
10-22-2018, 06:34 PM
I've got that mold, Redhawk. Great boolit and all of my revolvers like it.

murf205
10-23-2018, 10:00 PM
I have found that my sweet spot for a lighter recoiling load for my 44's is 16.6 grs of 2400 and a 429421 Lyman SWC. It goes 1225 from my 9" SRH but it would be closer to 1075-1125 from your 5.5" gun. I have shot quite a few deer with this load and it penetrates into the next zip code without very much meat destruction. I use std cci primers and I have never seen a 44 that didn't shoot it accurately as long as I did my part.

Lloyd Smale
10-26-2018, 06:53 AM
have to agree. Ive had probably at least 2 dozen of each through the years and have allways had better luck finding accuracy with the 44s. Especially with lighter loads. If your loading up to t-rex levels the 45 has a slight advantage SLIGHT. but that's about like saying the 280 is better then the 270. I chuckle at the 45 fan boys sometime. They want you to think unless you have a 45 and extoll its virtues over 44 that are more imagined then real world noticeable. If you don't reload theres not question. The 45 about gives you light only unless you spend big bucks on something like buffalo bore ammo. the 44 even with mag level factory ammo is cheaper and you have the option of 44 specials if you want light and 44mag ammo can be bought about anywhere and with many more choices in bullets ect. I like and shoot them both but if I had sell all of one caliber the 44s would still be in the safe.
I will be blunt....it would be a foolish decision. I had no problems getting accurate light reloads out of my .44 Mag. IMHO the .44 Mag is the best big bore revolver caliber available. Many good bullets for it and about as much recoil as most people can handle when loaded hot...yet retains accuracy even with lighter loads. And if for some reason someone is forced to buy factory ammo, it is widely available in both the Mag and Special loadings.

Tracy
10-26-2018, 07:54 AM
Remington used to sell a .44 Mag light load consisting of a 240 grain lead SWC at ~1000 fps. That was a good load, and I like to duplicate it with the Keith bullet. For those type of loads I basically use the same powder charge I would use in .45 Colt with its Keith bullet.

I have a Redhawk in .45 Colt, and prefer it over the same gun in .44 Mag. But I like my .44 Mags too. If you like yours, I see no reason to send it down the road.

jmort
10-26-2018, 08:34 AM
Use what you want. Larger caliber or smaller caliber, your choice.