PDA

View Full Version : strang crystal substance in my 300bo

corey012778
10-16-2018, 10:12 PM
went to clean my 300bo, went to pull the bolt out. would not move. finally got it out. looked in the upper. a crystal like substance was all over the inside. only thing that I did different was I used a used liquid wrench dry lube not rem oil (my got to gun oil) or a silicon based automotive lube (never had a problem with it use it in a pinch if I don't have rem oil). cleaned it all out using mean green then hoppes.

I have had some bad primer pocket issues but it was not dark. the crystal was close to the same color as salt. any ideas?

country gent
10-16-2018, 11:00 PM
Maybe reaction between the 2 oils.

corey012778
10-16-2018, 11:20 PM
I am thinking a reaction. possible the oils don't play well, the Teflon and what every is in the dry lube did not agree. I was shooting cast boolits with ben red, felix and 666+1 as well. possible one of 3 had a blow back in the gas tube and reacted?

corey012778
10-22-2018, 02:27 PM
when I thought I got all the strange crystals out, it bites me in the well. went to the ranges to finish up some j word sight in for hunting season. was doing great until the last two shots. hang fire type deal. open it up at the range there it was in the fire control group. did a couple dry fires with it open. a delay in the hammer. that stuff cost me a good group. got home, took the thing apart. sonic clean the fire control group in 50/50 purple power and water. cleaned the pocket with a sonic toothbrush and mean green repeated with hoppes. found the crystals in the bolt catch and the front receiver pin. all cleaned out. oiled with my old standby REMOIL.

also looked at my reloading note book. loaded the rounds I fired with the wrong powder. good thing I they it was under max and accurate. lol

also came home with more brass then I went with. someone was shooting 300bo and left their brass.

good bad and ugly type day.

Smoke4320
10-22-2018, 02:54 PM
Sounds like all way not a complete loss .. mo brass :)

Speedo66
10-22-2018, 07:07 PM
Previous owner cooking meth in there? Last name wasn't White?

People talk about WD-40 hardening over time, perhaps other products do, too.

corey012778
10-23-2018, 12:06 AM
Previous owner cooking meth in there? Last name wasn't White?

People talk about WD-40 hardening over time, perhaps other products do, too.

My ar is a 80%, and I don’t cook meth and my last name is not white lol

I tried a non gun related dry lube. One of those, I had Luck with silicon and Teflon auto lubes why not. Been having bad primer pocket issues (pinned what brass). Still wondering if that in combination with the different lube may have drew out salts. Seemed to come off easier then I thought it would.