PDA

View Full Version : Lyman double cavity handle question

Spillway
09-29-2008, 06:02 PM
In an attempt to understand the proven solution for handles for double cavity Lyman molds. I have studied the Lyman mold handles on evil-bay it's obvious Lyman has changed there design over the years.
Would someone please lend some advice on which handles either in the Lyman or other brand that give the best performance.

Jon K
09-29-2008, 06:20 PM
That's like asking which pants give the best perfomance, or which shoes give the best performance. It boils down to personal fit rather than anything else.Lyman, RCBS, Saeco, Lee, RRR, H&G they can all be made to fit the Lyman 2C, and each feels different. So the question is "Will Nike perform better than Reebok?"

Jon

Spillway
09-29-2008, 08:02 PM
Lyman, RCBS, Saeco, Lee, RRR, H&G they can all be made to fit the Lyman 2C, and each feels different.

This is the only sentence that even gets close.

I would really appreciate some substantive information.

Jon K
09-29-2008, 08:38 PM
All I was trying to say is find some get your hands on it, Do they fit? Are they comfortable? Do you feel you can squeeze and work with it for hours on end? Do you have Arthritis, Carpal Tunnel, or any condition that will make handles uncomfortable?
The will all perform, but can you perform with it, and which one?

Right now I have a torn rotator cuff, waiting for them to call me in for pre-op and tell me when surgery is, I bought one of these to see if it works http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,5914.html
The one that I can barely use is the RCBS, because the wood is a smaller diameter and takes smallest grip to operate.

Only way to know for sure is try one.(your choice)

Jon

shotman
09-29-2008, 08:46 PM
jon try the Lee 6 cav handles -It puts the mold 2in farther out you can keep the mold tight and the handles dont get hot. You also have a place to tap that is not the mold. The lee will fit the one and two it will not fit the 4cav. The Lyam hollows is the same as the 2 cav rick

dragonrider
09-29-2008, 08:48 PM
The Lee handles will fit without alteration.

Jon K
09-30-2008, 09:41 AM
jon try the Lee 6 cav handles -It puts the mold 2in farther out you can keep the mold tight and the handles dont get hot. You also have a place to tap that is not the mold. The lee will fit the one and two it will not fit the 4cav. The Lyam hollows is the same as the 2 cav rick

Already tried it, the Lee is wider when closed. RCBS when modified to fit Lyman or Saeco mould is the smallest handle grip when closed. The Mould Holder from BACO, although it has the one handle with locking lever is a PIA, needs constant adjusting of the locking lever, and it is the heavier at the mould end, requiring a tighter grip and more strength to balance.

On a brigther note, this only temporary. handles are not usually an issue for me. I have worked with my hands all my life, and this is a rude awakening.

Jon