PDA

View Full Version : Black Powder Substitues

klw
09-29-2008, 03:29 PM
It has been a very very long time since I've bought any of the black powder substitutes. Back when I did the available ones included Black Canyon, Pyrodex, Clean Shot and Clear Shot. What are the products available today and what do you think of them?

freedom475
10-02-2008, 02:30 AM
Forgive me ...but I have to say it....THERE IS NO SUBSTiTUTE! There are different things you can use...I even read once about some concoction of mushrooms and gasoline but I'm pretty sure it's just not the same as the "Holy Black"...even if you have to make it yourself.

Boz330
10-02-2008, 08:19 AM
It has been a very very long time since I've bought any of the black powder substitutes. Back when I did the available ones included Black Canyon, Pyrodex, Clean Shot and Clear Shot. What are the products available today and what do you think of them?
BLASPHEMY:kidding: When I was guiding, a lot of the hunters were using Triple7 and they were getting some impressive velocities out of sabot loads out of the inlines. One of my hunters blew a 375gr Barnes bullet through both shoulders of a bull with 150gr of that stuff. I've seen 300 mags not do that.

Bob

dubber123
10-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Triple 7 is very fast, and cleans up in seconds. I also get very good accuracy out of a 21" barrled .54 cal sidelock.

August
10-03-2008, 10:34 AM
I've used Clean Shot, Triple 7, Pyrodex, and various brands of Holy Black. All the subs are expensive compared to black. I have found Pyrodex to be most similar to black in performance in my gunz. Triple 7 is definitely more powerful than black. Clean shot is somewhere in between. Unfortunately, clean shot and pyrodex are corrosive and must be cleaned off gunz and cases asap.

Because of the cost and clean-up demands associated with subs, I use black exclusively these days.