PDA

View Full Version : while fire forming brass....

Tom W.
10-14-2018, 12:14 AM
I was making mousefart loads for my 30/30 A.I. to fire form brass. I like to shoot targets when fire forming so I loaded up some with my ancient 160 gr Lee boolits and 6.6 grains of Bullseye. They were finger lubed with some old RCBS rifle lube I found in my stuff, sized to .309 and gas checks installed. Then I dipped the boolits in JPW and let them dry. I got some of the best groups ever. I fired about twenty rounds and could have covered the group with a silver dollar.

I just set the target up on the pistol range at 50 yards. I suspect that if I had adjusted the scope a tad to the left all of the shots from the 30/30 a.i. would have been in the X ring.

My 30-06 A.I. had some 170 gr ranch dog fn treated the same way. They didn't shoot worth a poot, stringing and shooting very low. I had a load of 11.1 gr of Herco. They did fire form the brass as intended, but I wasn't pleased with the results on the target.

All in all it was enjoyable. Any time I can go shooting is a good time. I enjoyed my rifles so much today that I never unholstered my pistol......

Rcmaveric
10-14-2018, 12:40 AM
Those 50 yard plinkers are good stuff. I fire form .260 Rem and Grendel. I use Red Dot for all the plinkers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wayne Smith
10-17-2018, 07:46 AM
I'm using WC867 to fireform my 25 Krag AI - mostly because it works and I've got 8lbs!

shaggy357
03-11-2020, 07:58 PM
I form a false shoulder on my brass and size it to headspace in my chamber. I load a reasonable pressured load to fireform. Last year i had my 280 Rem out deer hunting. Got a nice deer and a buddy stopped by after hearing the shot. He noticed the fired brass in my shell holder looked different than unfired brass. He got the 5 minute story on fireforming to make brass from a parent case.

JWFilips
03-11-2020, 08:45 PM
Some Of My Tightest Rifle targets were when I was blowing out cases....That is what lead me to "Low Node" Shooting at 50 yards! Now that is all I do and almost all my loads are subsonic Including .243 and .223! It is a heck of a lot of fun for and old guy ( Don't use much powder and don't have to walk as far to put up targets!)
jim