PDA

View Full Version : New Lee mold - LOVE it!

selmerfan
09-29-2008, 01:10 PM
I wanted a lighter .358" boolit for some loading I'm doing for a friend and his .357 Mag. I didn't want to spend a lot of money ($50+) on a mold, so I decided to try out the Lee 358-158-RF. I got it in the mail last week and have been casting with it for several sessions. I boiled it in dish soap and water on the stove to degrease it, lube up the plate and pins, scraped off a couple burrs obvious to the naked eye, and went to casting. At first I was frustrated with fill-out, then I threw my thermometer in, I was at 600 degrees. I smoked the mold and waited for the lead to bump over 700 (I recalled what some people on here had said about Lee molds liking it HOT), preheated the mold per their recommendations (dipping a corner in the melt for 15 seconds) and then went to casting. Every boolit, and I mean EVERY boolit was perfect! They dropped nicely, some dropped as I opened the mold, some needed a couple handle taps. I've never had molds work quite this well, and now I'll have to try smoking all of them! I'm really impressed with the value of the Lee mold, the only downside is that one alignment pin fell out this morning. It looks like it is just stamped in to hold it and it failed. I went right on casting, everything was still perfect. I'll call Lee about it this afternoon. Next time I need a mold, I'll be giving Lee a call!
Selmerfan

docone31
09-29-2008, 01:15 PM
I use exclusively Lee molds.
I have the mold you described, and the pin did not fall out. I just love it.
I have cranked up the heat, and did put a little zinc in the melt.
I just get great castings. They fit, print well, and I have no leading.
I use Blue Dot in my .38s and .357s.
I have wondered how hollow pointing them would work. This is after casting, drill them out.

selmerfan
09-29-2008, 01:22 PM
docone31,
I'll let you know how the HP'ing works, I did it to 20 of the rounds I loaded this morning using 14 gr. of AA #9 in the .357 Mag loads using my Forster HP tool. It's an impressive increase on bottle explosion when I HP my .357 Maximum loads using a 180 gr. SAECO #354. How much Blue Dot are you running n you .357 Mag and .38 Spec loads? I'm loading for a friend with a New Model Blackhawk. The boolits are sized to .358".
Selmerfan