PDA

View Full Version : 2R Lovell Max - Anyone out there shooting cast bullets in this old wildcat?

Tom in Pittsburgh
10-11-2018, 09:10 AM
Just wondering if anyone on the Board has cast bullet experience with this one :?:

TIA,

Tom

Drm50
10-11-2018, 09:28 AM
I had a Stevens 22 Lovell, not a Max. The one I had cases are made from 25/20 Win single shot brass. When I bought rifle got mould and dies. I shot cast, I still have the mold but forget what the
weight of bullet was. I had poor luck with cast but I didn't have it long enough to wring it out. Sold
rifle and kept dies, brass and bullet mold in case another comes along.

Tom in Pittsburgh
10-11-2018, 11:48 AM
Thanks.

I have a nice single-shot rifle made up on a small Martini action and fitted with a 10X Unertl scope. Came with reloading dies and a bunch of brass -- also some jacketed loads which shoot great. I have acquired three different lots of cast bullets, all from Lyman moulds [225438 (43 g), 225415 (48 g) & 225462 (55 g)]. I have scraped a few load recommendations together from some old loading manuals, but I would like to get in touch with someone who has actual experience with cast bullets in his caliber - mainly for 100-yd paper punching.

Drm50
10-11-2018, 12:49 PM
The rifle I had came with several boxes of Sisk 32gr bullets. Rifle had a Fekker 6x scope and at 100'
would do one hole. Still have brass but have formed it back into 25/20 SS for a Hopins & Allen falling
block, which is long gone too. I have tried the 32g Sisk in Hornets, Bees and other small 22cal guns
and they don't shoot worth a hoot in any of them.

uscra112
10-16-2018, 01:31 PM
Lovell Max rifles are very rare. Aren't you the guy who had a Springfield, too? I have only 2R Lovell, one is on a Ballard (!) action. Only one I've tried cast in. Partly because I've never been good at casting those tiny bullets. If I emember right, I tried a 50 grain Lee Bator bullet cast of Linotype with 2.5 and 2.6 grains of Red Dot. Both were undistinguished loads at 50 yards. 2-3 MOA as I recall. Never pursued it beyond those 40 rounds. The rifle is purely a collector gun, and that only because it was built by a famous Philadelphia gunsmith. (So famous that I can't remember his name just now!)