PDA

View Full Version : Small hands.. Bisley grip..?

Blacky Montana
10-11-2018, 07:54 AM
Hey fellas..

This is for the "small hand" guys who have shot the Ruger 45 Colt with Bisley grips. None of my local shops have anything at all with a Bisley so that i can personally handle one, and neither do i know anyone who has one i can try either. I am considering getting a new stainless Blackhawk with 5.5" barrel, but it only comes with the Bisley grip. My weight is usually between 168 to 170 lbs, so Im just guessing my hands would be considered on the small side...lol. Ive read all the post on the difference between the plow handle & the bisley, and i know everyone says its usually a love or hate type thing. So I just want to hear from the small hand guys, so it gives me a better idea.

Thanks guys,
Blacky

fivegunner
10-11-2018, 08:04 AM
Hi, I like the Bisley best for my heavy kicking handguns, I have small hands also . But If I was you I would try to find and shoot a few before you buy.

Wheelguns 1961
10-11-2018, 08:21 AM
I get along with both of them. I would say that I have medium to large hands. The bisley,to me, really shines with heavy recoiling loads or guns with long barrels. With these guns the bisley gives you a better purchase, and takes some of the strain off of your wrist. The plow handle grip, to me, is a more natural pointing hold, especially the colt saa sized grip. Fast from the holster and fast on target.

I think that most people have medium hands, and that is what gun manufacturers design their products. Either will fit most people’s hands fairly well. It is the people that have either huge hands or very small hands that will have the most problems. That being said, you can fine tune the grip size with custom grips. If your hands feel too small for a particular grip, a slimmer set of grips may be in order. If the grips feel too small, like a pencil, you can get grips with a palm swell built in to better fit your hand. Guns and gun grips are definately a personal choice. What works for me might not work for you.

jmort
10-11-2018, 08:40 AM
I put Eagle GunFighter grips on all my single actions. For me they make the difference as they are slimmer and mke the grip fit. I started using them many years ago when I bought an Old/Original full size Vaquero. I was going to sell it as it was slightly too big for me to get a proper grip. Eagle grips made it perfect.
https://www.eaglegrips.com/gunfighter-style-grips/267-ruger-bisley-rosewood-gunfighter-grips.html

26Charlie
10-11-2018, 09:04 AM
You won’t go wrong with the Bisley - I often think it is Ruger’s best kept secret. I got a regular .41 4 5/8” Blackhawk 50 years ago, and a Bisley 7 1/2” Blackhawk 27 years ago also .41 Mag. Now I just have old hands, can’t say small or large, and the pain threshold with full-house loads is quite different between the two guns.

Blacky Montana
10-11-2018, 09:17 AM
I actually dont have any problem with the grips on my original Vaqueros, but they are custom buffalo horn from Eagle. The only reason im having this problem is because Ruger doesnt make a STAINLESS 4.5" or 5.5" Blackhawk, except for one with a Bisley grip. And even that one is a distributer exclusive.

Blacky

Wheelguns 1961
10-11-2018, 09:24 AM
That gun you are talking about is on Bud’s guns. I think the cash price is $615. It is a beauty, and imho about the best deer hunting handgun around. If I wasn’t awaiting back surgery, I would be scooping that one up. They also have a .41mag that is a twin to it. If I had a money tree in the backyard, they would both be headed my way.

DougGuy
10-11-2018, 09:46 AM
Another measurement that is unique to the Bisley grip frame, the distance between the back of the trigger guard and the front strap of the grip frame is the shortest of all the Ruger single actions. It is also the shortest measurement from the rear strap, to the trigger, as you can see in the comparison of the various Ruger grip frames:

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Guns/Grips/RugerGripFrames2_zps89fc9917.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Guns/Grips/RugerGripFrames2_zps89fc9917.jpg.html)

El Bibliotecario
10-11-2018, 10:35 AM
Since I avoid playing pattycake with strangers, I have no frame of reference as to the size of my hands, but I would guess average-minus.

My issue with the standard Ruger Blackhawk is the excessive (for me) distance between the hammer spur and my thumb. For those who share this problem I have found alternatives to the Bisley. A relatively lower SUPER Blackhawk hammer can be installed on the standard Blackhawk without modification. The Blackhawk Bisley hammer, which is even lower, may also be installed, but this requires a relatively simple modification to the grip frame.

I use the aforementioned slim gunfighter grips on my Bisleys. I like their uniform thickness, in that I find revolver grips which flare into a trumpet shape at the base promote the grip slipping downward during recoil.

contender1
10-11-2018, 10:40 AM
As an instructor,, I fully understand your issue. I always tell every student or anybody,, get the grip that fits YOUR hands.

That said,, I will say this. Do not buy anything without trying it first. It can be an expensive lesson. Try gun shows, local gun ranges, a shout out to members here or other gun forums to see if you can find someone with a Bisley you can handle. I don't know where you are,, but if you are anywhere close to WNC,, I'll GLADLY let you shoot mine.

Blacky Montana
10-11-2018, 12:20 PM
I am in Delaware right in the middle of the Delmarva Peninsula. About 6 miles from the ocean. Although next month Thanksgiving week i will be traveling to see family in Lawrenceville Ga, and Monroe NC.. Anybody close to those spots with a Bisley..lol. I wont order a bisley until ive held one, but so far the Williams Sports Blackhawk comes closet to what i want.

Blacky

Wheelguns 1961
10-11-2018, 12:26 PM
I live in Delaware. In the suburbs of wilmington, near the old gm plant. If you are up this way, I would be glad to let you handle mine.

Blacky Montana
10-11-2018, 01:59 PM
I just may have to take you up on that my friend, if i cant locate one down here. Im in Selbyville, almost right on De/Md state line..

Wheelguns 1961
10-11-2018, 02:17 PM
Yeah you are way down there. I used to live in Bishopville when I worked on charter boats out of OC

Wheelguns 1961
10-11-2018, 02:21 PM
If I am not mistaken, there is or was a decent sized new gun shop on the road that you take to Assateague island. I can’t remember the name

Blacky Montana
10-11-2018, 03:08 PM
That would be Larrys Trading Post... Nice shop, but like most shops not much cowboy type stuff. Any type of 1911, Glock, S&W, Sig...etc. Very little single action...lol

Wheelguns 1961
10-11-2018, 04:11 PM
I believe it. Same problem up here. Glocks everywhere, revolvers not a chance.

jmort
10-11-2018, 04:43 PM
I have both. Prefer plow handle. Like the Bisley, but not more than the regular grip. I have

Schreck5
10-11-2018, 06:56 PM
Come west young man...to KC, MO... and I'll let you shoot my Bisley 'till your heart's content.��

contender1
10-11-2018, 10:01 PM
Monroe NC is about 1-1/2 hours from my range. Thanksgiving week,, is not bad,, except I leave the Saturday after for an elk hunting trip. But,, if you are here before that,, I have a few you could try.

Bigslug
10-11-2018, 11:02 PM
To me, the Bisley / SAA grip choice is an identical puzzle to that of the 1911 - 1911-A1 flat/arched mainspring housing.

It's not just a size and reach issue, but one of grip angle. To me, Bisley's and 1911's naturally point low, while Peacemakers and 1911-A1's are just about perfect. The short version is you won't have your answer until you wrap your fist around both.

dhom
10-12-2018, 06:06 AM
I have been shooting handguns since I was 13 yrs old, [I am 66 now] and the jury is still out on which one is better for me. My bisley grips are caressed by JRH to fit my hand and they fill good. I also shoot regular plow handles but, really don't see any accuracy difference. I am a Ruger single action fan but don't like the standard grips that come factory. I am not a large guy at 5'8" and 200 lbs so I guess my hands would be small to medium. Instead of a plow handle I use Hogue finger grips. The bisleys with JRH walnut grips fitted to my hand fill great but that doesn't make me shoot any better. With the Hogue grips it seems I have to hold with my wrist tilted down slightly. [ it is not uncomfortable] I also have a FA83 454 and a BFR 475L that have their standard grip frames but have grips fitted by JRH. I love them all. Try all the styles you can and see what works for you. Good luck and good shooting!

Blacky Montana
10-12-2018, 06:29 AM
Jmort.. You lucky dog..lol. I tried getting one of those Turnbulls after they had sold out. Beautiful Blackhawk..

Wheelguns 1961
10-12-2018, 07:08 AM
Jmort.. You lucky dog..lol. I tried getting one of those Turnbulls after they had sold out. Beautiful Blackhawk..
I think they are still available at gallery of guns, and on gun broker.

jmort
10-12-2018, 09:27 AM
I believe there are a few still out there. Hope you can find one. They are nice. For me every single action is a project from purchase to tuning to Doug for the cylinders. I have a huge backlog of cylinders for him. The only gun that I never paid to have tuned was a Freedom Arms 97. That is one tight gun. The tolerances are crazy good. I have large sized hands with shorter fingers. So one more time, get some GunFighter grips if your trigger finger is not where it should be on the trigger.

Idaho45guy
10-14-2018, 04:38 AM
I love my Bisley with the 5.5" barrel, but I have large hands. I also have the regular Peacemaker and I think it would fit smaller hands better. The Bisley grip is designed to mitigate recoil by rolling somewhat under recoil rather than pushing back into the hand. It is a different feel. Definitely try to handle one first.

I added aftermarket grips to mine and they are a little wider and fit my hand better. They also make my Bisley a sexy, sexy single action...

jmort
10-14-2018, 09:18 AM
The Bisley grip was designed for target shooting, i.e. accuracy. Had nothing to do with recoil. As for recoil, there is no consensus on it being the best for recoil.

"The revolver takes its name from a grip frame designed by Colt's Manufacturing Company that was popular at shooting matches held at Bisley." (England)

cas
10-14-2018, 12:50 PM
True... but the Ruger Bisley grip everyone is talking about has little to do with the Colt Bisley grip you're talking about. ;) They don't feel similar at all to me.

What I've found is people with smaller hands who complain the Ruger Bisley is too big for them, tend to try to hold the grip way down at the bottom. Their hand flush with the bottom of the grip, then the trigger reach is too long for them. Why they don't choke up on the grip I don't know, but they don't. I made a couple converts that way, having them try mine in such fashion.

Idaho45guy
10-16-2018, 09:12 PM
The Bisley grip was designed for target shooting, i.e. accuracy. Had nothing to do with recoil. As for recoil, there is no consensus on it being the best for recoil.

"The revolver takes its name from a grip frame designed by Colt's Manufacturing Company that was popular at shooting matches held at Bisley." (England)

Well I heard it in a gun shop, so it must be true... :p

TheGrimReaper
10-18-2018, 10:48 AM
I finally put one in my hands yesterday and I do have to say I am sold on the Bisley grip now. Actually feels good in my hand unlike a standard Blackhawk grip.

Lloyd Smale
10-20-2018, 07:17 AM
ive got large hands and love the bisley. ill say this. When my son was young (around 14 or so) I had him out shooting one day and had a 7.5 super Blackhawk a 4 5/8s Blackhawk and a 5.5 in bisley accusport all in 44 mag. he was shooting the same load (about a factory equivalent 44 mag load) out of all three. After about an hour he told me that I had to leave him the bisley because it was much more comfortable to shoot. I lost a nice 44 mag that day:p If you want another comparison. I was at a Linebaugh seminar one year and it just so happened that John had my 4 inch bisley vaquero 500 done. He also delivered another guy a 4 inch vaquero with a Blackhawk grip frame. Using anything but a bisley grip frame is rare for John. We both shot each others guns and he left his with John and some more money to swap it out for a bisley. Now I wont mention names but he was pretty well known in the cast bullet community and had even more of a tolerance for recoil then I do. It was his tc encore in 458 lott that had me at the doctor getting my finger stitched.