PDA

View Full Version : Home built truck camper

Elkins45
10-10-2018, 06:58 PM
This thread is a continuation of one I started back in the winter: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?353869-Truck-camper/

To catch you up, I decided to build a non-cabover truck camper to fit in the back of my short bed truck. My initial desire for a truck camper was so that I could tow my boat and have someplace to sleep (besides a tent) that I could more easily heat and cool when the weather was bad. It was so hot here this summer that I stopped work until it cooled off a bit, but I scheduled to do some traveling next month and thought it might be nice if I could take my camper with me. I’m not planning on getting the interior completed by them, but if I can get the shell put together and the roof watertight than that will be enough to give it a few days tryout.

As of today I have the frame essentially complete and plan to start the roof and exterior panels tomorrow.

https://sites.google.com/site/elkinspix/camper-build/425AA6A8-A1B6-4D1A-B49C-F614BD981F44.jpeg?attredirects=0

https://sites.google.com/site/elkinspix/camper-build/F4607BC1-701B-432D-A0A1-A61201CB0460.jpeg?attredirects=0

As you can see, I gave the front a little bit of a slant so it will be at least slightly more aerodynamic than a flat wall.

rking22
10-10-2018, 11:45 PM
I wish I could see.... pics not showing up :(
I use my Yukon like that when traveling. Fold over the rear seat behind the drivers seat and set up my bedroll there. Hammock is my prefered sleep but the truck is nice in rest areas ect. I set up a topper on my 96 GMC kinda like you are doing, just was in the way when I needed the truck to be a truck. The Yukon has 330,000 miles and still going so it stays set up for "wanderin"!
Watching your build with interest.

Elkins45
10-11-2018, 02:34 AM
Hmmm...I'm linking the pictures from a Google Sites page. Let me insert them as attachments.

JoeG52
10-11-2018, 05:57 AM
No pics in the first post but the attachments work.
Looking good!

bedbugbilly
10-11-2018, 11:04 AM
Looking good! Years ago, I wanted to make one to slip in the back of my pickup - something that would advertise my woodworking/millwork shop that I owned. One of those things that just never got done. Glad you are making progress on your camper - would love to see more photos as you progress!

Years ago, my Dad had a friend who built his own plywood "pop up" type camper. Basically it was all plywood, a top and a bottom with lifts on each corner to raise the top up - looked like a box with a cover. He worked many many hours on it and the last thing he had to do was put the roof covering on. For some reason, he chose to stretch canvas over the roof for the covering and then paint it. It looked like it would work OK and he finished it up just before he and a friend were going to Wyoming IIRC to go antelope hunting. Well, they pulled the camper and somewhere along the way, he tossed a cigarette out the window as he was driving (this was in the very early '60s). It landed on the roof the the camper and "woof" - much to his surprise, he looked in the rear view mirror and saw that he was towing his camper but it was on fire. They pulled over, unhooked and pulled the truck away and tried to put it out but it burned up completely. They continued on after taking care of things and bought a tent to stay in while hunting. They were back in town for several weeks before the story got out - a small town and it didn't take long for the story to get around. Fortunately, he had a great sense of humor but I always felt sorry that his camper got destroyed as i know how hard he had worked on it!

As they say . . . "Happy Trails To You!" and I hope you get many trips with the camper you are building!

blackthorn
10-11-2018, 11:30 AM
Having seen the devastation in the form of forest fires caused by fools who throw their cigarette butts out of car windows, I have to say (since no one got hurt) your Dad got a well deserved lesson!

Hossfly
10-11-2018, 11:35 AM
I think it was his dads friend, did that.

rking22
10-11-2018, 07:15 PM
Looking good, yours is going to be roomy! I had minimal, well actually , no headroom. Looks to be teardrop inspired.

skeettx
10-11-2018, 07:36 PM
Watching

redhawk0
10-11-2018, 07:38 PM
Interested and watching as well.

Bookworm
10-11-2018, 08:45 PM
Several years ago I had a mid 80s Dodge Ramcharger 4x4, which I used as a hunting vehicle. I could take out the second seat, and there was just enough room for me to lay down in back.

My feet were in the shallow well behind the front seats, and my head was under the vent in the roof in back. I made acscreen to fit in the vent to keep critters out, and slept well.

I still miss that truck.

Elkins45
10-11-2018, 08:59 PM
Looking good, yours is going to be roomy! I had minimal, well actually , no headroom. Looks to be teardrop inspired.

The inspiration was actually the Rayzr camper. These sell for around $8-10K real world from what I have discovered.

http://rayzrcamper.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Razyr-FB-Exterior-on-Truck-no-background-working-file.png

http://rayzrcamper.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Rayzr-Model-FB.jpg

Markopolo
10-12-2018, 12:22 AM
Fiberglassing the finished product would really help stiffen and strengthen the entire thing.. not hard to do and very weather resistant...

15meter
10-12-2018, 12:03 PM
Bedbugbilly:
"For some reason, he chose to stretch canvas over the roof for the covering and then paint it."

This was the traditional way to make waterproof decks on wooden boats in days gone by, heavy coat of paint on the deck then "lay" the canvas into the wet paint not stretching it. Then painting the top of the canvas filling the weave of the canvas with paint. One piece sealed cover that would flex with the movement on the boat.

Was going to post before and after of a 21' sailboat that I helped restore 10 years ago that has a canvas deck that has held up very well.

It is still a valid way to make a seamless waterproof deck/roof.

Even after shrinking the photos it still won't let me upload. Bummer, it is a cool boat and fun to sail.

Elkins45
10-13-2018, 09:42 AM
I added some bracing and started attaching the plywood skin. Every joint is screwed and glued. I have the top and side panels cut and ready to go but I'm going to attach the roof first. I have to go to Lowes to pick up a couple more sheets of plywood. I'm also going to need some turnbuckles to hold it down.

MT Gianni
10-13-2018, 07:36 PM
Most commercial campers are either 2x2 or 2x3 for weight reduction.

Elkins45
10-14-2018, 07:07 PM
It has front and roof sheathing now.

228860 228861

Ickisrulz
10-14-2018, 07:27 PM
Most commercial campers are either 2x2 or 2x3 for weight reduction.

I had a Phoenix pop-up truck camper that was made just of plywood without a frame. It worked fine.

MT Gianni
10-14-2018, 09:29 PM
I was referring to weight reduction more than anything. Plywood and chipboard are both fairly heavy.

Elkins45
10-14-2018, 09:45 PM
I was referring to weight reduction more than anything. Plywood and chipboard are both fairly heavy.

Yeah, it’s definitely heavier than it could be, but believe it or not I can still lift the corner off the dolly. I figure wind resistance will be a bigger problem than weight.

abunaitoo
10-15-2018, 04:47 AM
Looks like a fun project.
Don't forget the roof exhaust vent.
Don't want to go to sleep, and never wake up.

MaryB
10-15-2018, 07:04 PM
Giving me ideas... my truck box is badly rusted so I have been tossing around ideas for an aluminum framed and skinned pop up style camper(hard sided where the walls overlap) with a rear double door so I can still carry wide cargo like a sheet of plywood slid in underneath everything. Aluminum to save weight... pop up so I can stand in it to change clothes when camping. No frills, bed a small cook stove, place to stash a portable toilet when I am camping... I figure a sink and a small portable propane water heater that won't take up much space. Coolers for cold storage is fine for weekend camping...

redhawk0
10-15-2018, 07:23 PM
Elkins45...what thickness plywood did you use?...I would think 1/4" would be plenty strong on a small structure like that.

Its really looking nice.

redhawk

Elkins45
10-15-2018, 09:59 PM
Elkins45...what thickness plywood did you use?...I would think 1/4" would be plenty strong on a small structure like that.

Its really looking nice.

redhawk

I used 3/8 sanded for the sides and front, 3/8 sheathing for the roof and floor. For some reason 3/8 was $4 cheaper per sheet than 1/4.

3856imp
10-17-2018, 11:05 PM
My reason for doing my own camper was because none of the factories produced a camper with insulation. Mine will have 3 inches r19

10-17-2018, 11:29 PM
I love these kind of projects. good point about vents. i'd do some windows w/ a vent of some kind. the humidity within after a night of sleeping in your box (breathing) will make everything wet. keep the photos coming. :)

arlon
10-18-2018, 10:55 AM
Few years back I considered trying to make a truck camper. Seemed within my skill range but in the end I found a nice AWD Astro van and have been using that for my road trip mobile ever since. I really like the van approach now. I'm into photography and hiking, no hunting at all. My needs are a little different than most but it sure is nice to be able to sleep where I want to shoot (pictures) and not have to drive from a hotel. At my age, tents are totally out of the question!

Good luck with the build if you get half the use from that camper that I get from my van you'll be smiling from ear to ear. Check out ExpeditionPortal.com if haven't already. Excellent source of info for all sorts of builds.

Elkins45
10-18-2018, 10:23 PM
I love these kind of projects. good point about vents. i'd do some windows w/ a vent of some kind. the humidity within after a night of sleeping in your box (breathing) will make everything wet. keep the photos coming. :)

I bought a couple of aluminum mobile home windows for the sides. You can see where I framed for them if you look for the horizontal member in the side wall.

It’s going to be a couple of weeks before any new photos. Other stuff to do...

rancher1913
10-18-2018, 10:37 PM
look into the spray foam for insulation. they have a do it yourself kit that is easy to use and the r value is the best you can get.