PDA

View Full Version : .45 acp loads w/ Win. 244

lx2008
10-10-2018, 11:47 AM
hello,

i just finally found a lb. of win. 244. i have recently bought a L.B. Premier ii w. the 1.5 guarantee and was hoping
to come up with a few accurate loads for it as well as the Springfield Range Officer i have.

i have read a few articles on how well this powder is "supossed" to be. but since this is a relative new powder,
there are very few pieces of data out there other than what is on the manufacturers web site. i usually when i comes to
the manufacturers site, just rely on the min/max for safety sake, not accuracy comments.

i called and talked to a Sierra Bullets tech to see if they have run any data for this powder using
various bullet weights. do date, they say they are in the process of doing some at the time of my call
and that they will be coming out with their 6th. Ed. of their manual by end of year but to check weekly
on their "BLOG" on the site where they occ. will put new powder data using their own bullets.

but for now i was hoping someone in here has been using 244 for their own loads and would share their data.
for now, i looking for particular data using a 200gr. swc and /or a 230gr fmj rn. just not interested in 185gr
data at the moment. i have done some loading using the above bullets but i would like to know if mine are appx.
to anyone elses.

if anyone here can help, i sure would appreciate it! thanks for your time!

kingrj
10-14-2018, 08:08 AM
https://wwpowder.com/244-2/

This is Winchester Powder's website and it has loading data. Just plug in caliber and bullet weight. I have NOT used this powder but maybe this data can be of a help to you.

Kosh75287
10-14-2018, 12:40 PM
The Hodgdon/IMR/Winchester site gives the following recommended data:
5.1-5.8/Win. 244/200gr. LSWC, 1.225"
5.2-5.9/Win. 244/200gr. Speer JHP, 1.155"
4.1-4.9/Win. 244/230gr. LRN, 1.200"
5.1-5.6/Win. 244/230gr. FMJFP, 1.200"

Velocities ranged from 860 to 990 f/s for the 200gr. projectiles, and 760 to 880 f/s with the 230gr. projectiles.

I haven't paid much attention to the propellant, since I tend to prefer Alliant Powders for pistol-caliber reloads, but I got the impression that Win. 244 was supposed to be a more environmentally friendly (to manufacture) replacement for 231. Your impressions of how the powder acts in the reloading room and on the range would likely be of value to those considering buying a pound of it.

lx2008
10-14-2018, 01:03 PM
ok thanks. i`ve seen this data on their site. but the bullet selection is fairly bare.

the only thing i can use is the 200gr swc. i use sierra bullets and the one i use have no flat points.
so the o.a.l. is what im concerned with. i shoot comp. matches and i am very particular w/ the length.

so i dont like transposing an oal of a bullet listed with say a flat point when i using a round nose. (they are very much diff.)
and it does make a diff. when shooting bullseye matches.

if anyone starts or will start using win. 244 with some of their loads, please pm me with your results.
i am going to start making some up this week.

thanks again fellows!!

CraigOK
11-30-2018, 08:40 AM
Any update on this powder?