PDA

View Full Version : Chiapas Firearms

GregLaROCHE
10-10-2018, 06:45 AM
I’ve been reloading for a long time. A year ago I started casting my own boolits. Now I am thinking about getting into black powder.

I have started to l to look at reproduction rifles and was wondering about Chiapas rifles. Are they good quality? Where do they rank? Good, poor or in the middle. Anything else I need to know about them? I’m thinking about .45-70 falling block.

Thanks

Hickory
10-10-2018, 07:05 AM
I don't know about quality, but, I'm happy to report that their firearms have the proper rifling & twist in their leverguns.

varsity07840
10-10-2018, 08:33 AM
I’ve been reloading for a long time. A year ago I started casting my own boolits. Now I am thinking about getting into black powder.

I have started to l to look at reproduction rifles and was wondering about Chiapas rifles. Are they good quality? Where do they rank? Good, poor or in the middle. Anything else I need to know about them? I’m thinking about .45-70 trapdoor.

Thanks Chiapa doesn't make a trapdoor.

1Hawkeye
10-10-2018, 08:43 AM
For what you will pay for a reproduction you can get a nice original.

jdfoxinc
10-10-2018, 09:52 AM
Chiappa is the same company as Armi Sport. When the son took over he just changed to the family name. Quality improved also.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-10-2018, 10:35 AM
I have a '92 Win. replica made by them and imported by Cimarron. It was kind of expensive, and I wish the wood was nicer, but the fit, finish, and metal work is satisfactory. There's a write-up on Cimarron in the Oct. 2018 issue of the American Rifleman, which includes some information on their Italian replica manufacturers, Uberti, Pietta, Chiappa, and Pedersoli. Trapdoors, original or reporductions, aren't that hard to find on the internet auction market. If I was looking for one I'd probably look at one of the H&R replicas.

KCSO
10-10-2018, 11:38 AM
Uberti, Pedersoli pretty much samo samo.... Then Chiappa then Armi Sport then IAB at the bottom of the heap. If I were buying new I would go for # 1 or 2 first. Beware the Trapdoor replicas have some changes from the originals and not for the better If I were looking for a trapdoor I would try and scout out an original first. We just sold one with a bright shiny bore for $750.00.

waksupi
10-10-2018, 11:45 AM
I agree with others, find an original Trapdoor.

GregLaROCHE
10-10-2018, 01:00 PM
Chiapa doesn't make a trapdoor.

Your right. I just checked. It’s a falling block type. Just starting to get into this type of rifle. I have a lot to learn.

zymguy
10-10-2018, 03:26 PM
Your right. I just checked. It’s a falling block type. Just starting to get into this type of rifle. I have a lot to learn.

So a falling block type rifle is what you would like ? If so I think your probably correct in pursuing a replica. Ive no experience with originals or other brand replicas but Ive really enjoyed shooing my dads browning made 85 replica in 45-70 this summer

zymguy
10-10-2018, 03:32 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181010/2b9083c3f80e902b7f929f8c72d4c242.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181010/5e31084ea2640a4a9ca202e639b30d28.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregLaROCHE
10-10-2018, 04:18 PM
That’s a beautiful gun. If I were looking at a Browning, I wouldn’t have to ask about quality.
I put that same peep sight on my .45/70 Marlin maybe thirty years ago. The original flat sights keep getting ripped off in thick brush.

Knarley
10-10-2018, 05:25 PM
It would rely on what you had in mind for the gun. Plinking, hunting, target or all of the above. You looking at launching small projectiles, or grey hound busses? Of course, all the above works here too.

GregLaROCHE
10-10-2018, 05:51 PM
It would rely on what you had in mind for the gun. Plinking, hunting, target or all of the above. You looking at launching small projectiles, or grey hound busses? Of course, all the above works here too.

I want to use it for target shooting for my own fun, but I do like to compete with myself, so accurately is important. I like shooting those greyhound buses. I’ve been shooting 500gr boolits with my 45/70 Marlin with modern powder. Now I want to start using black powder and everyone says I’m crazy to start shooting black powder in a lever gun. So now I have an excuse to buy a new gun.

indian joe
10-10-2018, 06:18 PM
I want to use it for target shooting for my own fun, but I do like to compete with myself, so accurately is important. I like shooting those greyhound buses. I’ve been shooting 500gr boolits with my 45/70 Marlin with modern powder. Now I want to start using black powder and everyone says I’m crazy to start shooting black powder in a lever gun. So now I have an excuse to buy a new gun.

Blackpowder cleanup is a breeze n if ya shoot the calibres that belong in em (44/40 instead of 45 colt fr instance) nothin gets in the action - just clean the barrel - oil it - park it . (hope I didn spoil yr excuse:D)

GregLaROCHE
10-11-2018, 02:59 PM
Blackpowder cleanup is a breeze n if ya shoot the calibres that belong in em (44/40 instead of 45 colt fr instance) nothin gets in the action - just clean the barrel - oil it - park it . (hope I didn spoil yr excuse:D)

So how do you clean up. There are a lot of people with muzzle loaders where I shoot, but no one shooting BP cartridges that I know about. The muzzle loaders take down their guns and wash them out with soap and water. Then they blow them dry with compressed air before oiling them.

In a lever gun, can you just run a brush with solvent through the barrel and then some patches followed by some oil? I can’t see myself washing out my Marlin with soap and water.

Nobade
10-11-2018, 06:04 PM
Two wet patches, one dry, and one with oil for me. Way easier than smokeless.

indian joe
10-11-2018, 08:56 PM
Two wet patches, one dry, and one with oil for me. Way easier than smokeless.

mine not so different - I have a flush bottle with a bore size plastic tube fitted - hold the gun belly up - one squirt down bore - then a wet patch - another flush - another wet patch - third squirt down bore then dry it out - oil - put it away - yes way easier than cleaning up a smokeless gun - difference is you can "get away with" putting a smokeless gun in the rack dirty - that dont work with black.

Gray Fox
10-11-2018, 10:57 PM
Ballistol is your friend. Once it's clean wipe a thin film on all internal and external surfaces and put the gun away. I make it a policy to check any gun fired with BP 48 hours after cleaning to make sure I didn't miss any spots. Gf

Nobade
10-12-2018, 10:05 AM
Ballistol is your friend. Once it's clean wipe a thin film on all internal and external surfaces and put the gun away. I make it a policy to check any gun fired with BP 48 hours after cleaning to make sure I didn't miss any spots. GfI don't worry about it with BP but will check it every day if I ever burn that awful pyrodex stuff.

Blue2
10-12-2018, 10:51 AM
Chiappa gives good vaue at the price point. Kind of like Lee Reloading tools. My personal experience is limited to their Sharps replicas. The barrels on mine shoot very well but I have had to replace small parts and springs on occasion. They do not stand up as well as a Pedersoli for instance. But as to accuracy mine shoot just as well as the more expensive cousins .

Knarley
10-12-2018, 04:44 PM
I have a "Spencer" from Armi Sport. Fit and finish is excellent. Haven't shot it enough to have stuff falling off......yet. So far, really like the gun.

Have a Pedersoli "Sharps". Have had it for years. Shoots well, have had no problems with it at all.

indian joe
10-12-2018, 07:19 PM
I have a "Spencer" from Armi Sport. Fit and finish is excellent. Haven't shot it enough to have stuff falling off......yet. So far, really like the gun.

Have a Pedersoli "Sharps". Have had it for years. Shoots well, have had no problems with it at all.

Knarley
What calibre Spencer ? My son recently got one in 45 colt (woulda rathered a 44/40 but not available here at the time) still getting a load figured out but cool factor is out the roof and it does look well made .

Knarley
10-13-2018, 09:39 AM
Mine is a 56-50 center fire. Use it for Cowboy action. Not a gun to be shooting for fast stage times, but it is a hoot to shoot and the style points are there. I'm not a real speed demon any way, so I TRY to at least look cool.